The misadventures of a rookie tanker yanker

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Mortarmaggot, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Mortarmaggot

Mortarmaggot Heavy Load Member

Apr 13, 2017
    Smooth ride. Filled it up at the shop after adding fix a flat.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mortarmaggot

Apr 13, 2017
    That's totally up to you. Sometimes I just ride until I want to go home. Other times, like my next out, I have something I need to be home for. On those trips, I put in before I head out.

My truck is in the shop, so I won't head out until next week. Today I'm running an ATL terminal truck down there, spending the night in a hotel, then picking up one of our trucks and trailers they have. It's not much, but better than no pay next Friday.

4. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    B7D643B2-E18D-4694-B78D-30F3BEB2351E.jpeg 91A68F3B-A513-4F72-ADA8-EED19B814904.jpeg Doing a Kansas City out and back today. You never know what to expect at these plants. This is a tight blind side under normal conditions. It’s a bit tighter serpentine off the railroad tracks when contractors block it up.

Mortarmaggot and Smut Thank this.
  5. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    I'll wait for some more of that experience thing before attempting something like that.

Mortarmaggot Thanks this.
  6. Slim51

Slim51 Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Maine
    If someone else can do it there’s a good chance you can to. Probably just take a lot longer and get out more but no one cares and if they do.... it doesn’t matter. The water treatment facility in Greenwich comes to mind. You back up a fairly steep hill into the driveway, it’s a tight 90, then back along the side of the building which is tight to the back. I was very nervous, took about 10 minutes. Probably takes other guys 2.

The hill really threw me off lol

7. Mortarmaggot

Apr 13, 2017
    Forgot to mention, but the process is just letting someone know so they can put it in the computer. No forms or anything, just a phone call or conversation before you head out.

While out in the system, dispatch will see your hometime date and know if they need to send you with a load towards home or can use you on what's next going anywhere.

cemoore Thanks this.
  8. Mortarmaggot

Apr 13, 2017
    Offloading MEK in Old Hickory TN this morning. Headed to Elwood via Memphis before catching a load back toward Carolina.

My son's birthday is Sat and I'm taking him fishing. It's been a while since I've actually run the system. I don't count this 5 day run as running the system. I'll do a two week out after getting some time fishing with my boy.

intrepidor Thanks this.
  9. Mortarmaggot

Apr 13, 2017
    Been a while. Had 6 days off and am doing a few 2 day out and backs. Unfortunately construction made the last one a 3 day, thanks Atlanta. The current one may turn into a 3 day too, depending on the current offload.

Plan on getting a system run.

On the home front, I took the kids fishing. Miserable fishing at a new location. Think the ponds were fished out. The locals trying said the same. The old man who used to maintain then passed a few years ago and the new folks apparently aren't passionate about it.

10. Mortarmaggot

Apr 13, 2017
    Been out in the system since Sunday. Ran to Old Hickory, and just like clockwork, Memphis sent me to Magnolia AR for a load up to Elwood IL. Currently sitting in Effingham Illinois doing a 34 here. Was going to run to the Petro on 55 near Wilmington, but couldn't get a 34 in if I did that.

Hopefully I'll get a good run out of Markham since I'm showing up with around 65 hours or so. Didn't put in a hometime yet. If they don't send me out to Arizona or some other long run next, I'll put in to be home for the Holiday weekend.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    scythe08, Bud A. and Smut Thank this.
  11. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    It frustrating. I moved to phoenix(horrible for Tankers) They have a satellite branch in the middle of nowhere, Parker Arizona 160 miles to west and another in Benson AZ, 173 miles away. I'm right in the middle of where I dont want to be lol. Theres alot of milk hauling and fuel down here, but very limited chemicals. They get most of their stuff from out of state or theres a few poopy companies that service the mines. My fault for not thinking things through

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.