The misadventures of a rookie tanker yanker

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Mortarmaggot, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Ian2175

Ian2175 Bobtail Member

Dec 26, 2017
    I called the number for recruiting and they told me a school they hire from. I will call the terminal just in case. Thanks!

wsyrob Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mortarmaggot

Mortarmaggot Heavy Load Member

Apr 13, 2017
    Mary was great. I still haven't called her to say thank you. I'll use this as a reminder and give her a call now.

Thanks

Ian2175 and wsyrob Thank this.
  4. ncdriver1

ncdriver1 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    She'll call you after a week or two to welcome you to the company. Super nice people there in Oakbrook.

Mortarmaggot Thanks this.
  5. lagging

lagging Medium Load Member

Aug 27, 2016
    Atlanta Ga
    One of the tech schools?

6. Ian2175

Ian2175 Bobtail Member

Dec 26, 2017
    I am currently working but can’t be unemployed for as long as the technical school requires. They at first recommended a school in Conley. I looked it up online and it is actually out of business. They then recommended Katlaw in Austell. Katlaw is a proved by some of the other companies I am also looking into. I am going to call the terminal manager like WSYROB recommended before I make my final decision on school.

Mortarmaggot Thanks this.
  7. lagging

lagging Medium Load Member

Aug 27, 2016
    Atlanta Ga
    I went to wgtc. I and most of my class held a job still the hours were 8-2 Monday-Thursday and it says 8 weeks but it’s closer to 5 when they start texting

Ian2175 Thanks this.
  8. Mortarmaggot

Apr 13, 2017
    With a thousand miles behind, I made Markham at noon today. My next load is down into Ohio tomorrow. I checked and it wasn't ready to go today, or I'd have gotten a hundred or so miles away from the greater Chicago area.

Instead, I grabbed a hotel. 10 hours of dispatch delay to start my week works for me. I'll go in earlier than my noon pick up time. I'd gladly give up 2 hours of layover to get down to Cincinnati before their dispatch leaves for the day. I can pick their brains and lobby for AZ or Texas, maybe even back to NC for some home time.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  9. Mortarmaggot

Apr 13, 2017
    Sat long enough to do a reset in Markham. Ran the load to Cincinnati this morning. Cincinnati won't dispatch me out until morning so I'll pick up more dispatch delay pay.

I've got 64 hours of clock so they can send me anywhere. Ronnie said he and hope will figure something out later. They have a ton of out and back stuff, but of course I'm wanting Texas or Arizona.

The load was easy today, just an air off. That was done in less than 90 minutes. Delivered 5 miles from the Cincinnati terminal. Going to get some bunk time in now.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  10. Mortarmaggot

Apr 13, 2017
    Got a short out and back up to Michigan. They all can't be long runs.

Currently sitting and waiting to get loaded. I was on time but they aren't ready. It's been 45 minutes and all I've done is weigh in and parked next to the plant entrance. Will probably get a little extra for loading.

The way they have this run scheduled, I'll have to take a 10 before I can return. Was told to go off duty when I arrive in Saline, and by the time I'm unloaded, half my 10 should be over. It's a small operation and they let us park at the unload location.

We'll see what tomorrow brings.

11. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    Those type loads are good. You are basically getting paid hourly for part of your 10 hour break. Just make sure you sleep while they unload if you want to run it tight. I was hoping to get some of that money while I sleep on my last Jefferson City Load. Got there 14 hours early but the tanks were too full so had to wait until the next mornings appointment time. Still got 3 hours of layover and a fresh clock after unload.

Sir Truckalot and Mortarmaggot Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.