The misadventures of a rookie tanker yanker

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Mortarmaggot, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Mortarmaggot

Mortarmaggot Heavy Load Member

Apr 13, 2017
    Spending the night in Cincinnati and heading out to KC in the morning. That means I'll probably end back up in Markham late on Friday.

If they ain't got nothing for me heading out on the weekend, I'll hole up in the hotel, do laundry and watch football.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mortarmaggot

Apr 13, 2017
    Picked up the loaded tank and rolled up 497 miles of money belt to the 101 on 70. Doing my 10 here and then running over to Bayer Cropscience in Kansas City. It's 100 miles away, so I'll get back close to Markham tomorrow night before shutting it down. If they don't have me rolling before Monday morning, I'll watch football in a hotel and get the laundry done.

In other news, I put my return home in for next Thursday.

4. nicknack

nicknack Light Load Member

Aug 3, 2013
    Mortarmaggot how long do you stay out on average?

5. Mortarmaggot

Apr 13, 2017
    I've been changing it up between 2 weeks out followed by 1 week or less outs. Being new, I run longer than I need to as I figure things out. The home team is letting me know they don't care for these longer two week adventures, so I'll start cutting it back.

That's one of the things I really like about this outfit. I simply tell them when I want to be back and they get me back on that day. When I get back, I tell them when I want to go out, and they get me a load headed out.

I might do a 3 or 4 day out and back after I've been home for 5 or 6 days. Still have decided, but that's 3 weeks away yet.

I never need to miss a birthday or holiday with this place, and that means a lot to my family. We're kinda crazy about birthdays and holidays.

Well, I got to start my day. Should be almost back to Markham tonight.

Lonesome and Smut Thank this.
  6. Mortarmaggot

Apr 13, 2017
    Arrived an hour early and watched the safety video. Waiting to be called onto the scale. I don't start my unloading clock until my arrival time or when they call me to come in. That's what I see as the right way to do it.

It's cold as heck here. Negative five wind chill. I believe this is one of those places where I sit in the truck while they unload me. Well, that's what I'm wishing for this morning.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Smut Thanks this.
  7. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    Some of my loads I know that if I plan it to arrive exactly on time there is a 50% chance I will be late which is unacceptable. For those loads I plan it to be there an hour early and turn in traffic delay or accident delay to make up for it. I figure I should get paid for my time even when things go well and I am early.

8. Mortarmaggot

Apr 13, 2017
    We don't get traffic delay at my terminal. I'm probably going onto the hourly wage for unloading delay. Another Superior driver is sitting ahead of me and he had a 0600 appointment.

Let's just go ahead and say it, I'll be making some hourly unloading delay pay today, and probably several if it keeps going like this. The guy who just came out took 3 hours to get unloaded.

The good news is that my tank wash message came in so I can start out towards Markham as soon as I'm done. I don't need to sweat things. I'm getting paid to play on my phone. That's how I look at these situations.

9. Mortarmaggot

Apr 13, 2017
    And all of the sudden I'm getting unloaded and sent to Memphis. Flexible and getting some unload delay pay.

10. Caterpillar6nz

Caterpillar6nz Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2018
    Really enjoying your thread...I start on the 22nd in Baltimore for tank school...then the I either go to Chicopee or Albany for a little more training. Really excited to start I have a few questions if you have time later in your day that would love to ask you.

Mortarmaggot and TaterFox Thank this.
  11. Lord Pablo

Lord Pablo Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Subscribing. Excited to read a tanker thread.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.