The misadventures of a rookie tanker yanker

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Mortarmaggot, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Mortarmaggot

Mortarmaggot Heavy Load Member

Apr 13, 2017
    It has the Cummins X15. Decent power with a range of 485 to 605 hp

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mortarmaggot

Apr 13, 2017
    I've spent a couple of days in it now. It is a decent ride. No storage or room for a fridge down low. All the storage is up top. I don't take a lot with me so it's not too big of a drawback for me.

The CMS and lane departure are kind of ok. They don't go off much. I can put my right steer on the line without setting it off. The CMS tells me how fast the vehicle ahead is going and only did a slight break once when a 4 wheeler cut within a foot of my bumper on the highway.

The engine will shut off while sitting for a while. That's to save fuel. Just set the cruise and idle down one. It will run smooth all night.

I am still now used to how power bleeds while starting out. It's shifting so it bleeds off power then kicks back in when in the next gear. It's just like when we use the clutch, but since I'm only pressing the accelerator, I notice it more. Time will make that less annoying

Smut Thanks this.
  4. Smut

Smut Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2017
    Houston
    Are you making it home for Thanksgiving?

5. Mortarmaggot

Apr 13, 2017
    Not this year. We did our Thanksgiving in conjunction with my birthday on Sunday. I'm running a couple of weeks to cover a nice Christmas. Getting my wife her first 9 and myself a new safe for long ones. Kids will do well too.

Smut Thanks this.
  6. Smut

Smut Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2017
    Houston
    10-4. Be safe out there.

Mortarmaggot Thanks this.
  7. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    Well...I'll certainly make sure I never show up unannounced. ;)

Mortarmaggot Thanks this.
  8. Mortarmaggot

Apr 13, 2017
    As long as you knock and come in thru the front door. Coffee is hot, food is warm, and the beer is cold.

Smut, scythe08 and spindrift Thank this.
  9. Mortarmaggot

Apr 13, 2017
    Today I offload at Cargill in Chi-town. I'm sitting 20 miles away at the Loves off exit 9.

I didn't get set up by dispatch this weekend like I had wanted. After unloading, I tank wash over to Markham and sit until Sunday.

Considering grabbing a hotel and enjoying the 200 a day for sitting. Today isn't too bad, for some odd reason they're giving us holiday pay for yesterday and today. I am not complaining.

Things are good and quiet on the home front. Kids are doing well in school and are looking forward to the Christmas break. I'm taking a full week off with them.

My wife picks up her PT111 G2 today. To me, that is a great entry level daily carry in the cal She' wanted. She' a little excited and a little axious. I spoke with my guy and have it all set up, so all she needs to do is show a permit and give him the money.

Well, have a safe and quiet weekend y'all. I know I will.

scythe08 and Smut Thank this.
  10. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    That's the way holiday pay should be handled. If they took it away when you worked no one would work. Lots of trucking companies simply don't pay any. Others pay a bonus or overtime rate if hourly.

Mortarmaggot and Smut Thank this.
  11. Mortarmaggot

Apr 13, 2017

Yes, Sir. At Cargill for the past hour and they asked me to do some yard work after unloading. Oak Brooke ok'ed it. The QA here hasn't shown up so I'm looking at a few extra hours of demerge today since we haven't even started unloading. Take the money when you can earn it.

Smut and wsyrob Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.