The New FFE Driver Academey

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by THE PLAYMAKER, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Wingnut1

Wingnut1 Light Load Member

Jul 3, 2012
    The Mitten
    Graduated this morning, got into DPS early, got 100% on my road test. Now waiting to go to Lancaster!

Big_Trill Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. roadrunner70

roadrunner70 Light Load Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Limbo
    I took the road test right before Wignut1 and got a 98. I can't believe that I actually did this. The past two weeks have flown by. I am now waiting for the shuttle to go to Lancaster too.

Big_Trill Thanks this.
  4. windmillbill

windmillbill Bobtail Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Baldwin, MI
    Great Job Wingnut and Roadrunner!!! Hope things work out great for you both. I will be on my way for the Aug 6th class.

Wingnut1 Thanks this.
  5. windmillbill

Jul 12, 2012
    Baldwin, MI
    Hey Big Trill I will be there starting the class after you. Hopefully I will see ya man. Good Luck.

6. windmillbill

Jul 12, 2012
    Baldwin, MI
    No Big Trill it will be the class after that. Aug 6th. However will be there and hope to see you all.

Big_Trill Thanks this.
  7. roadrunner70

roadrunner70 Light Load Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Limbo
    I was officially hired yesterday. I go out with my trainer on Monday the 30th. I am in the Lancaster Terminal until noon and then get the rest of the weekend off. I am staying in the hotel, which is quite nice. There seems to be some confusion over this, so I will make sure it's clear. Once you get hired, you start getting paid. You do not have to be on a truck to start getting paid the $455 a week, as long as you are waiting on a truck. If you go home and take time off, then you will not get paid.

FFE pays for your hotel room during orientation and while you wait for a trainer, as long as you accept a roommate. If you want your own room it will cost $27.68 a day, which is pretty reasonable. The hotel has a buffet breakfast every morning which is free. Breakfast hours are from 6 to 10 am.

I am still planning to write a detailed account of what happens during the two weeks at the academy. It is just going to take me some time to get it done.

I know that some people, like me, have limited funds and will want to know this. Once you are hired you will get a TCH card. It allows you to get two cash advances a week, up to $80 each. It will come out of your next paycheck. The minute you get the card you can go to the Love's truck stop and use it to get $80. You will get back $78 after the $2 fee since you did not get fuel. Payroll says the advances are available Sunday and Wednesday at midnight, and training says the advances are available on Monday and Friday. I don't know which one is correct, but when I do, I will make sure to post it here.

I have said this before, but I will say it again. If you know you are coming to the academy, do the homework NOW and read the manual. Don't make the mistake of waiting until you get here to start doing it. The days at the academy are long. Class starts at 7 am and it ends at 6pm during the first week. You need to stay awake during class, which means you need to get plenty of sleep. You can't get any sleep if you are up all night studying. Also, JJ Keller makes a textbook that is used in CDL training schools. If you can find a copy and you have the time, read that too. Some of the questions on the DPS test come from that manual, but you only find that out after the fact since you are not given a copy of that book until after you have your permit. Don't stress over that though; you can still easily pass the DPS test by just reading the TX DPS manual and doing the homework.

Big_Trill Thanks this.
  8. windmillbill

Jul 12, 2012
    Baldwin, MI
    Hey RoadRunner, Thanks for the info for all of us getting ready to head down to texas. I am glad that you made it through. I hope maybe ill see ya on the road. I do have another question for you. About how much money did you take with you when you went to school. I am trying to get a good estimate. I would appreciate anyone that has been through school to answer this. Thank you all and i will be there in the next 2 weeks.
    BTW my baby girl will be here sunday or monday. My wife is getting induced sunday night around 6pm.

9. SSMETAL

SSMETAL Bobtail Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Harriman, Tn
    Hey all, looking into going with ffe, does anyone know how the refresher coarse they have is, and what is this im hearing abt getting a texas cdl? I have my cdl already, just havent drove in abt 5 years. But im sure not gonna trade my tn license for a tx license. Lol thanks for any responces

10. dixiekitten39

dixiekitten39 Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2012
    McCrory, AR
    u have to surrender ur license because u must be a resident of tx to get a tx cdl license. u get a permit when u surrender ur license. ur cdl will be mailed to the school and then taken to lancaster for u to pick up when it comes in. be prepared for long days, in the heat, and in the classrooms. males are housed at the dorm on site and females are housed at the country inn & suites hotel. shuttles are provided but u go when they say or u don't go at all. just be prepared when u get here, study the handbook and do the homework that ur recruiter will email u. if u are serious about it then u will pass.

11. Wingnut1

Wingnut1 Light Load Member

Jul 3, 2012
    The Mitten
    You would keep your license. The only difference between you and non-cdl holders is you would start a few days later. The first few days are mainly to get permits.

SSMETAL Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.