The New FFE Driver Academey

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by THE PLAYMAKER, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Privy

Privy Light Load Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Sierras ,CA
    Just fill out a online application wait a day if no calls in that time give them a call the recruiter will pull up your app. and should be able to tell you one way or another if you qualify or not to start the process. The actual background check does not get done till just before you get hired so just let them know everything you have going on so there are no surprises at the end.

Some people had accidents they forgot to report they still got hired but it took awhile longer because they had to get accident reports and turn them in before they could get hired.I tolded them about stuff they never even found doing their background check but it was things that happened in my past and was unsure of so I just let them know about everything.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wingnut1

Wingnut1 Light Load Member

Jul 3, 2012
    The Mitten
    Privy, you must have hooked up with trainers that are O/O or L/O, that is the only way you could do 662 miles in a day, you're not going to in a company castrated truck. 651 is the most in a company truck @62mph, and that is driving non-stop for 10.5 hours. The best I've done is 637 and I only had like 9 minutes left after my post-trip.

I'm at the end of my 5th week now, and am sooooo ready to get off this truck! After 4 weeks, I had been to 21 states and drive 9095 miles. Now I'm up to 24 or 25 states. Been down some 5 and 6% grades, including Donner. Don't believe all the hype about it, you just need to use your head. I personally thought the hills in western PA were worse than Donner.
    We had to do a hand unload on the streets of Philly, that was a trip-unloading next to street cars going by. Then got it half unloaded and the load got refused, so w had to reload. LOL
    4 wheelers are indeed out of their minds. Some of the things they do...smh.

4. Privy

Privy Light Load Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Sierras ,CA
    Ya Wingnut1 my OTR trainer is a L/O as far as the local trainer I'm not sure I never asked him he went home every night but he didn't have a day cab his truck had a sleeper so maybe he was a L/O also, this might come back to bite me in the ### getting use to a truck running 70 then be given a truck that only runs 62 my trainer says I'll get use to it I will see haven't much choice either way.

Had a little stretch of 6% grade the other day just west of Flagstaff on I40 and Donner I'm well aware of I live off of I80 just west of the summit and one year worked in Truckee and drove my 77GMC pickup that winter over the pass everyday and chaining up since it was only 2 wheel drive that was a fun winter. I have to agree some of the hills in Penn. caught me off guard and were steeper than I thought.

5. THE ROAD VIRUS

THE ROAD VIRUS Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Nomad
  6. buckeye bandt

buckeye bandt Light Load Member

May 17, 2012
    wellington ohio
    good deal road virus are you sticking around anyways ---- i have had my volvo for a month or so and i like it except the refrigerator is to cold anything that is not on the bottum shelf freezes solid --- but it pulls the hills fine and is nice and clean inside -- only had 2040 miles last week but was home for 3 nights been averaging 2800 miles and havent been away from home for over 8 days been getting a lot of drive bys which is good but where i am at in my life i can stay out a couple of months and it wouldnt bother me lol so then i am home all the time --- well the closest i have been to being late is 3 hours early ---- i get there early enough to where i can have a fresh 11 by the time i get unloaded and most of the time i am off to my next pickup before my last delivery time was supposed to be -- headed out to hershey today then to alabama starting out with 1200 miles + for the week and a full 70 ---- first thing you new guys should invest in is a truck gps it saved my butt in chicago the directions that the reciever gave had me over a 20 ton bridge so i went around that only to find a 12'6 underpass found a place to turn around and followed the gps in . but it did take me on a state 2 lane in north georgia with a 10% grade that had a nice little 20 mph curve at the bottum and last week in ohio about 25 miles on county roads that were a little skinny but truck legal and saved about a half hour over going the state highway route the trip finished out 19 miles shorter than the payed miles which dont happen very often . well ran into a road closed in canton the other day and it guided me around it just fine -- get the truck gps its well worth it it flashes a warning anytime you turn on a non truck route or a low bridge and tells you how to get around them --- i got a small garmin for $239 --- i figuired it has payed for itself allready -- i dont know much about the navigo thats in the trucks but my trainer had a gps so i got 1 too -- well my laptop has been broke for a few weeks but got it fixed so i will try to get on here a little more

7. MachoCyclone

MachoCyclone Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Texas
    I got the rand mcnally one today. Got it sef up and going to give a go when my hours reset. My trainer hates the GPS but i got it anyway.

8. TruckermanD

TruckermanD Light Load Member

Feb 5, 2011
    Baltimore MD
    How often do You guys hand offload?

9. Wingnut1

Jul 3, 2012
    The Mitten

I have had to once, sort of, because the consignee didn't have a dock and it was a street unload (on the streets of Philly, with streetcars zooming by. LOL). The hilo driver lifted a pallet jack into the trailer, then I just got the pallets to the back of the trailer. Other than that, its been either drop and hook, or you bump a dock and they come ot and let you know when its loaded or empty. Some places let you know over the CB.

TruckermanD Thanks this.
  10. TruckermanD

TruckermanD Light Load Member

Feb 5, 2011
    Baltimore MD
    So ffe does a lot of east coast?

11. Wingnut1

Jul 3, 2012
    The Mitten
    OK,here is my take on the academy, and then on OTR training.
    At the academy, you have to remember, they are there to get you a Texas Class A CDL. Nothing more, nothing less. While there, you will be thrown in with people of different educational levels, backgrounds, States, different levels of common sense, different levels of common decency, different levels of personal cleanliness, etc. You need to deal with that, or you will have trouble. I went there with the attitude of being on a mission and if I made friends, that would be a bonus, but I mainly hung out in my room and did my homework. I think people with a military background would adapt well, or, sad to say, people who have been in jail. There can be drama, just do your own thing and avoid it.

OTR training....Now you are in it, in the real world. You have 6 mirrors to watch, 6 places on your truck to watch (front, back, left side, right side, above, and even below). 9 gauges require your attention as well. Now let's throw in signs; what was the height of that overpass? Are you on a truck route? Can you get out if you go down the wrong road or driveway? What lane are you supposed to be in, in this construction zone (sometimes trucks are in the left lane only). Got that handled? Now get ready for the jackholes in 4 wheelers, because they WILL do some crap that will blow your mind. Don't be surprised if the highway gets shut down in front of you when they land Life Flight, I've seen it twice. All of this is going on when you have 44,000 pounds of peanuts in the trailer, so you will not stop on a dime. But, I've learned that I'd much rather pull a loaded trailer than an empty one. Empty trailers wander and suck worse than bobtailing, which really sucks. LOL

The mountain grades aren't as bad as I had envisioned, but then again, it is summer. But, my trainer has only chained-up once in the 12 years he's been out here. My road instructor at the academy has never done it. There is a thread about mountains and winter driving on here, where an old-timer summed it up this way, "When the going gets tough, you'll find me at the truck stop, waiting for when the going gets easy". Sounds like some sound advice!

Saturday will be the end of my 6 weeks out here, and man am I ready to get off this truck. Sharing it with a guy you've never met before, for 6 weeks, can really test you. Hopefully everyone gets a decent trainer. Mine has been pretty good, but he's got on my nerves a few times, but I'm sure I've got on his as well. I've had pretty much everything thrown at me, which is good. Truck break-downs, blown tires, extreme rain and wind, waiting for loads, trainer going home for 3 days (I got a hotel room instead of staying with the truck). I've seen some extremely beautiful scenery, and even saw a live alligator, which is not captive and is at the Texas Welcome Center in Orange, TX, in the swamp. I'm ready to get into my own truck and catch a load going toward home, and a few days off. Its long overdue. Be safe out there, drivers; it's pretty much us vs them on the highway.

EDIT- By the way, the navigation on Peoplenet is called Navigo, and Navigo LOVES to send you down back country 2 lane State highways that can get very interesting. I was driving across southern Alabama on a curvy road, at night, and had a tanker come around the curve with his truck about 1/4 in my lane, and all I had was a grass shoulder. I have no idea how much room was between us. I was busy holding the wheel in a death grip, and praying. We made it though!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted