The New FFE Driver Academey

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by THE PLAYMAKER, Mar 14, 2011.

1. MachoCyclone

MachoCyclone Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Texas
    I know drivers that refuse to use the Delay in Transit macro on the PeopleNet, but I have no problem using it if needed. They will usually re-schedule my load if I send it during the day shift, but if I send it during the night, then I will also call my DM the next morning to let her know.

FREEZERGEEZER Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rosemary's Baby

Rosemary's Baby Bobtail Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Starting FFE Academy this week. If you are considering doing the same in the near future, I will be providing a honest, positive and mature perspective of the experience on a near daily basis. I arrive on Thursday because I followed the advise of every recruiter, from every company around, and went to the DMV on my own and passed all the written test that they allow. There were 5 total. I gave myself a brief review from the CDL manual and was able to pass them all the first time. Note: I held a class 1 license in California back in the 1980's and am a mechanic by trade so the tests were not really that bad for me. Still, the questions are tricky and even the best student will miss a few. Anyway, by having my written tests completed, I was able to skip the first three days, which are focused on written testing specifically. On Wednesday evening, everybody except those who live near and have their permits will be put up at a hotel near the campus for the night. Thursday morning, everyone will come to the academy at 6:30am and I believe the processing will begin. I believe that they keep everyone in a hotel until you clear the processing so its easier to give some their bus ticket home less painfully. Seems there are several disqualifying points that one must hurdle to continue. I can only guess that these, and others, will be an example of some of them: criminal record, driving record, work history, failed drug screen, health issues such as, hypertension-not controlled, blood sugar-not controlled, vision, etc. So, it appears that Thursday will be a rather stressful day for most of us. Hopefully, I will be updating you that evening from the dorm and not from my home if you know what i mean.

4. lbkcam

lbkcam Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2013
    Lubbock, TX

Let me know how it goes. My bus leaves Sunday. I was also supposed to start thursday but I was having a hard time getting off work in time last week to take all the tests.. I did manage to take the first two tests for my permit though.

5. Rosemary's Baby

Aug 12, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, I'm guessing the last thing that i would want to do is be in a barracks type environment, and be under pressure to study and pass tests in three days or less. Good luck making it in here. Maybe I will see you around next week.

6. lbkcam

lbkcam Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2013
    Lubbock, TX
    Ive actually had quite a bit of time to study up. Im not real worried about the testing but I am grateful I only need to take three more tests. who was your recruiter? I had sandi and she was real good about replying to my emails and answering my questions.

7. Rosemary's Baby

Aug 12, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    I had Nancy. She used to team w/ her husband at FFE, so she was good at answering my questions.

8. buckeye bandt

buckeye bandt Light Load Member

May 17, 2012
    wellington ohio
    the dorms at the academy are not really that bad , by far the best showers and laundry at any ffe facility . the hotel is better of course but the dorm is doable ,they make the days long enough were you only have an hour or two to kill anyways . teamed a load to Lancaster over the weekend from pa and then back hard to get used to sleeping in a moving truck , 3200 miles in less than 3 days we stopped once to eat and just ate the fast food garbage when we fueled but paid pretty good

9. Rosemary's Baby

Aug 12, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Since I live in Dallas, they said I would be allowed to tell the staff and go home at night if I chose to and I probably will, at least a couple nights a week.

10. buckeye bandt

buckeye bandt Light Load Member

May 17, 2012
    wellington ohio
    you can park your car right at the school and be very popular lol ; not much within walking distance of the school

11. Rosemary's Baby

Aug 12, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah....that's what I was afraid of.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.