The new turbos don't look very new

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Antonovich, Aug 7, 2022.

1. Antonovich

Antonovich Light Load Member

May 11, 2019
    I'm working on the truck now (replacing the batteries) and I took some more photos of the turbos and the manifold studs.

First 2 photos are the top turbo. 3rd photo is the bottom. And a more close up of the studs. Can someone tell how can the manifold nuts be fixed? Do the studs need to be replaced? Were they simply driven to far in?

20220807_102520.jpg
    20220807_102529.jpg
    20220807_102541.jpg
    20220807_102511.jpg

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Yeah looks like studs are too short. Will need to put the proper ones in.

4. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    What causes them to pit like that? Wintertime metal etching road surface spray? I got a Cat reman for my 3126B and other then the tag on it and the scars on the paint from them throwing it in the box still wet it looked close to new. Could tell the iron exhaust side was used.
    As far as the manifold nuts and studs are concerned maybe those guys have a trade secret and found out that is the way to keep them from breaking like usual.

I’d me more pissed they got yellow paint on my black frame or anything else that should not have overspray on it because masking it off was to hard for them. But that’s the details person I am. Lol!

AModelCat Thanks this.
  5. Tumbleweed TowMan

Tumbleweed TowMan Medium Load Member

Jun 22, 2022
    I looked again at the pic due to your comment.

That's not lack of detail, that's just WRONG! Not even my rig and that irritates me. Good gawd they didn't t even have to tape it off , but they couldn't even lay a piece of mask paper over it.

[​IMG]

6. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Not Cat reman or new turbo P/N's. They are referencing Garrett P/N's, with a SRT in front of number. I assume SRT probably is a suffix for some S? Rebuilt Turbo.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  7. Antonovich

May 11, 2019
    So are they good or should I run them for a while and replace them with better turbos in the near future? I was looking into those BullyDog or PTI turbos. Want more power out of it, since I currently have Cat's lowest tune - 435hp.

As far as over spray, I'm not really concerned. It's an ugly 9400, not a show truck by any means. Plus it's underneath the hood. Some time in the future, I'll take my truck to a body shop for a frame restoration and I'll ask them to cover that up. There's a shop I know in Jeffersonville IN, across the river from Louisville that specializes in frame restorations of heavy vehicles.

8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Garrett is a huge manufacturer of turbos. I wouldn't worry too much. If they were cheap China turbos I wouldn't even start it up to drive it to a shop.

Antonovich Thanks this.
  9. Tumbleweed TowMan

Tumbleweed TowMan Medium Load Member

Jun 22, 2022
    Smaller world time!!

23 yrs ago I hit bottom and got off the booze & drugs in Jeffersonville, plus met and married my wife there, she had been Louisville for many years prior. We lived several years in Okalona before moving to Az.

Well that was fun!

10. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Not sure whose turbo they are, need to ask the repair shop that installed them. Look rebuilt, not remanufactured which means only replace what was broken and wear parts.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  11. Antonovich

May 11, 2019
    I've stayed in Jeffersonville many times. Back when I used to live in Brooklyn NY, I was working OTR and I was always around Louisville area or Florence KY area (I moved here 2 years ago). There's a Best Western hotel in Jeffersonville I stayed at about 8 times. They actually have full truck parking. I also bought my truck not far from Jeffersonville, in Henryville IN, about half hour north from Jeffersonville on I65. Btw, the body shop I'm talking about is RDH Truck Finishing. They did some work on my truck before when I got hit at a truck stop.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.