The new volvo VNL design.

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Johny41, Jul 17, 2017.

1. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Very much a rarity with a ISX.... The old N14 would go 1.5+ regularly... Man Cummins should've stuck with that one lol

The Volvo D13 sure is awesome for longevity

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. racemaxx24

racemaxx24 Heavy Load Member

Jul 4, 2014
    East TN
    I've got a 2016 VNL670 with a Cummins ISX also.. Granted it's only got 220k so far but this is honestly the best truck I've ever had. They did some minor front end work at 175 but aside from the steering shaft recall its never had anything but scheduled service.. not even so much as a check engine light (knock on wood).

I'm not sure what those above are seeing but they pretty much redesigned the truck even though it retains similar body lines/styling to current models. Especially the 760 which grows from a 61" to a 70" sleeper and is widened, replacing the 670 as their fleet model.. The exterior and dash has all been refreshed and updated, exterior lighting all LED including headlights and fog lights, sleeper layouts changed up and improved with lots more gadgets and nicer sleeping quarters.. list goes on really. Looking forward to getting one in the future if my company continues with buying Volvos..

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  4. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    The advantage to the short sleeper is a great turning radius. The 660/ 670 is the best compromise OTR tractor for a solo driver in my opinion. Doable sleeper size with unparalleled manueverability.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  5. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    I believe by short sleeper, you're implying short wheelbase as the 660/670 could've been ordered with a 246" wheelbase if desired and the 780 was offered with as short of a wheelbase as 229".

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  6. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    I did not know they came in different wheelbase configurations, figured shorter sleeper = shorter wheel base. Do you know if the 1st generation VN had the front axle set back further than the 2nd?

7. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Yeah wheelbases can vary because of specs... Longer fairings, big tanks and have them set to rear, etc..

8. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    I really don't like where they put the sleeper control panel....!!!!

For someone that sleeps upper bunk and keeps the table set up it now makes it impossible to reach the panel at all.

Volvo needs a duplicate panel in the side of the upper cabinet for the driver in upper bunk to control!!

9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    They all do it. Kenworth hasn't re-engineered the W900 since 1983. Its gotten a few minor upgrades but the exterior hasn't changed much. The T800 and C500 have remained relatively unchanged as well. Same with Peterbilt. Western Star finally changed up their hoods a bit on their newer trucks a couple years ago.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.