The New Walmart and what you can expect.

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by 64_Max_Wedge, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Coover

Coover Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2016
    WM is a big box deep discount value store, buys in huge volume, and can sell for less. I'm not going to overpay for a motor craft oil filter from another retail chain when I can buy the same exact thing from WM for $2 less.

Now conversely, I think WM produce, poultry, meat, are of lower quality, and I choose to support a small family owned bulk food store for all of my briskets, chicken quarters, ribs, and produce. The quality is better and price is about the same, and sometimes cheaper.

It depends on the market region, but most entry level discount level retail stores pay about the same, regardless of Costco, Sam's, target, WM etc. I've seen some WM advertising starting wage of $13/hr which is within a dollar of the all and mighty glorified Costco. Which over exaggerates their great benefits.

From Costco page:
    Created to help employees save for a comfortable retirement, Costco matches employee contributions 50 cents on the dollar for the first $1,000 each year to a maximum company match of $500 a year ($250 a year for West Coast Union employees). Once employees meet eligibility requirements, the company makes an annual contribution to their account, which is based on a percentage of eligible earnings. This percentage increases with employee's years of service.

My last year at WM this so called bad company matched just over $6k toward my 401k.

There are 2 sides to every story, and furthermore I really have no dog in this fight since I no longer work for WM. As far as the transportation side of it goes, it isn't the job it used to be, they lost a bunch of quality veteran drivers with all the changes, but there are far worse jobs out there.

As I've stated before, money isn't everything though, sometimes the $$$$ isn't worth all the BS and being away from home. Sorry for the rant, I'm going to enjoy this cooler weather, baby sit my brisket, and enjoy some crappy college football games from my couch

Oldironfan and 06driver Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    I've gone through this thread and deleted several posts. Same old deal...bickering that detracts from the intent of the post.
    Presenting your side of an issue is fine but personal attacks and baiting won't be tolerated.
    If it continues the thread will be locked and the offenders banned.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  4. jml60

jml60 Bobtail Member

Jan 2, 2019
    I'm really starting to have second thoughts about this, supposed to fly to SC. Sunday morning.
    I don't like the sound of any of that!
    Is there any truth to the driver facing cameras?

5. 06driver

06driver Road Train Member

May 28, 2017
    There are no driver facing cameras active.

Sirscrapntruckalot Thanks this.
  6. WestCoastWanderer

WestCoastWanderer Bobtail Member

Mar 9, 2019

7. WestCoastWanderer

WestCoastWanderer Bobtail Member

Mar 9, 2019
    Ok, this thread is dated and not sure if anyone continues to follow it....

I was hired by Wal-Mart and will be flying to Bettonville in a couple weeks for training....

After reading through the threads I'm no longer certain I want the job....

Should I give it a try, see what happens?

I was told and it's been all over the news that I could make 87k the first year with 3 weeks off.

Trust me, been driving 19 years, I know what is said and what is actually earned rarely jive.

Any advice would be appreciated and one other thing, been offered a local job, m-f, 3 am start time, 22 bucks an hr, 50-60 hrs a week.
    Play it safe with local gig?
    ?

8. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    I’d take the Walmart job. At $22 an hour you’ll be lucky to make 65 a year

9. Coover

Coover Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2016
    Ya, you wont make 87k unless you try really hard to be real lazy.

Those are fairly conservative figures. Easily obtainable.

Honestly though, if you're not sure you really want the job, do yourself a favor and decline it.

Local is great busting your butt, physical labor, unloading, dealing with cranky customers, city traffic getting home after 12+ hour days to drink and forget how much the job sucks, then waking up 8 hours later to do it again for $35-40k less.

10. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Buddy of mine hauls fuel locally. He grossed over 75k last year, home every night with his wife and daughter and really likes his job.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  11. Coover

Coover Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2016
    Good deal if it works for him.

Doing LTL I was going to eventually snap and flog someone with a sock full of Pennies :mad:

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.