The New Walmart and what you can expect.

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by 64_Max_Wedge, Mar 22, 2018.

1. RogerThat72

RogerThat72 Road Train Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Everyone flys to Bentonville for training now?!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Coover

Coover Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2016
    Mass training/hiring events now. Used to be casa grande az, and Lauren's sc.

They are tentatively hired after phone interviews and meeting minimum requirements, then are sent to training center to be taught/coached how WM wants things done pre trip, driving, shifting, backing, dot physical, etc.

Under the "previous system" very few would pass. Geez, anyone remember the days of meeting with the drivers committee, and all the other hoops we jumped through to get our foot in the door. Multiple trips to the one or two DC nationwide that were hiring on your own dime.

RogerThat72 Thanks this.
  4. RogerThat72

RogerThat72 Road Train Member

Jan 30, 2014
    The previous system was. Application, phone interview, pre-trip, road test, physical, and drug test. Final offer then orientation correct?

The driver committee was way before my time.

Coover Thanks this.
  5. Elg1968

Elg1968 Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Houston,tx
    cream ofcthe crop, they pick up from a DC and deliver to a store.. so what, is that not what a truck driver does? Been doing this for 30+ years, they’re truck drivers, nothing less or more. KARMA

6. yankatank

yankatank Medium Load Member

Feb 14, 2018
    not completely! When I did general freight, I picked up with a few wal mart drivers, live load! They seemed very happy. However, this was about 4 years ago. I do know wal-mart drivers don't always do DC to store! I've seen more schneider and swift daycabs do that...I have seen walmart drivers pick up live loads, just like the rest of general freight.

7. mushroom1464

mushroom1464 Medium Load Member

Feb 17, 2010
    U S A
    Anyone know how close you have to live to DC your going to work out of. Closest one to me that is hiring is about 260 miles. Thanks in advance.

8. Coover

Coover Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2016

mushroom1464 Thanks this.
  9. Wicked Wizard

Wicked Wizard Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Northeast PA
    I have a DC 20 miles up the road and would not work for their current rates unless I had to. Honestly, I made better cpm and detention 9 years ago than what they are paying now.
    You get what you pay for. In the short run it might seem like a viable option but I think it's the beginning of the end for them. You will see articles in the news 10 years from now about the end of a dynasty. Especially after Mr. Buffet passes.

10. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    If you're referring to the 38cent fiasco of awhile back, that's changed. I don't know what the starting pay is now but it's back to where it used to be. I know some drivers that work for them out of the Porterville and Red Bluff DCs and they're doing just fine.
    I also know a guy who quit them to take a job that he thought would be better. It wasn't and he's trying to get back with WM.

Who are you driving for now?

Also, I didn't know Warren Buffet was involved in any major way with WalMart.

Coover and Lonesome Thank this.
  11. Wicked Wizard

Wicked Wizard Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Northeast PA
    OK, first of all I didn't know you were on the board at Walmart. Oh, you're not? Then you don't know what influence he has now do you...…..

Second, your "friend" left for a reason. It might not have worked out for him but he left for a reason.

Third, do some research on this site if you wanna know where I work.

Elg1968 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.