The New Walmart and what you can expect.

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by 64_Max_Wedge, Mar 22, 2018.

1. 06driver

06driver Road Train Member

May 28, 2017
    I started at .44. Not sure what cap is. I know some of the gold badges are over 50. Not sure how far but some of that is longevity raises.

Mike_77 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mike_77

Mike_77 Medium Load Member

Sep 23, 2017
    IMG_9541.jpg
    Any of you Walmart veterans drive one of these?

4. 345_Magnum

345_Magnum Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Area 51
    Never drove the Freightliner but pulled many of those old "Circus Wagon back in the day. Those are used for storage nowadays.

5. 345_Magnum

345_Magnum Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Area 51
    I'm well over . 50cpm but that's not the point today. All drivers hired after Oct. 1, 2017 base mileage will be .38cpm for M-F and .44cpm for Sat. & Sun. only. Everyone receives .06cpm for weekend pay regardless of seniority.

All drivers hired before Oct. 1 2017 will still be able to work up to top scale, but the guys hired after Oct. 1 will only move up in pay when the fleet gives everyone a raise. So for example if if we receive a penny per mile raise, my top tier mileage pay goes up a penny. The .38 driver moves up to .39. Sadly, the new guys will never move up to top tier in the money dept.

drvrtech77, 06driver and Lonesome Thank this.
  6. 06driver

May 28, 2017
    New guys have always made less. But I get your point. I think with the plans to add drivers at the grocery DCs they are finding out those dime a dozen drivers are more expensive than they thought. I had to chuckle when they said they were just going to add 50 drivers in a market they just got done saying they were 50 short 75 miles away.

The optics of what they are doing is going to come to a head. Either they back off and come up some on new hire, or we will fold PF.

Not sure which way it will go. But you can not be boasting in every major newspaper, posting signs outside stores and DCs bragging about pay raises and continue to tell drivers they are over paid in the industry. Who knows it may be Greg Smith's plan. Maybe they will realize after the current debacle occurring at multiple HVDCs where outside contractors are not even filling seats and PF is being used to haul what has traditionally been contract freight.

I still say a new guy can do 80k. But from the outside folks do not see it.

345_Magnum Thanks this.
  7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Today’s “driver” would run from that truck.

8. 06driver

May 28, 2017
    #### straight. I get nostalgia, but any of you could go resurrect a COE like that. Nobody does, well except for show trucks.

They sucked. Sure they may have been the best back then, but we have air ride, power steering, A/C, less road noise, steering wheels that are not finger breakers..........Oh and when you get a modern truck you can stand up straight.

Nobody in their right mind would say they want one of those old beasts. Well unless they are a descendant of Marquis de Sade.

9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Right. We have all the modern “conveniences” available today, so now any reject and fat slob who’s barely ever worked harder than wiping his own butt can jump into a truck and drive it now. Nothing like dumbing a job down for a bonehead mass audience and potential employee pool. :rolleyes:

10. 06driver

May 28, 2017
    Oh bull crap. Those could be here now regardless.

If you love those POS knuckle breakers feel free to set one up and run it. Me I'll take comfort, power ( let's not forget those motors were pukes compared to the HP and torque being generated today) and yeah convenience.

Man the "old school" needs to take off those beer goggles they view the past through. I will bet you mule sinners looked at the first trucks and said those are for #######.

11. Mike_77

Mike_77 Medium Load Member

Sep 23, 2017
    IMG_9098.jpg

Sirscrapntruckalot Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.