The Old days are dying and the New drivers only smell like they have.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Muleskinner, Mar 25, 2008.

1. SweetSouthernRide

SweetSouthernRide Medium Load Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Northeast Alabama
    :biggrin_25512:gonna have to do some goober hammering in here Mule...

359kool Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Raezzor

Raezzor Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Aug 1, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    It doesn't matter what you wear? Please. Anyone who thinks that has no idea what being a true professional means. Every time you get out of that truck, whether it's at a shipper, receiver, truck stop, terminal or at home, every time someone can see you, you are representing yourself and your company. People will judge you by how you look and present yourself. And first impressions are THE strongest.

Now, if a company hires me, I assume it's because they want me to be a professional in EVERY sense of the word. Not just when it comes to driving, but also appearance. Because of that, I make sure my appearance is the best I can make it. Now, I've had days where I hopped out a bit scruffy, dirty, and worn out. But the first thing I do is hit the shower. And I have worn shorts, but they have always been in good shape, and usually with a collarred or polo shirt. And I ALWAYS wear my steel-toed shoes while driving, loading, unloading. If I'm off for a while, I'll swap to my sneakers, but they are in good repair too, and I try to keep them as clean as possible.

Wearing flip-flops, ratty clothes, dirty hats, gangsta clothes, not shaving or showering, all of these are going to reflect negatively on you, as a driver, and your company for hiring you.

After all, who knows who is going to be at that truck stop? It could be someone from a company that is looking to start a new contract with your boss, but then they see you hop out of that truck and think to themselves, "No way in hell that guy is gonna touch my freight!"

359kool and lilillill Thank this.
  4. kaiwren986

kaiwren986 Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Lowell, IN
    Alot of the "old breed" Are to blame too. I'll nod, or give a slight wave at a truck stop and get nothing in return. Its either an elitest attitude or lets just face it.. alot of the reason people get in to trucking is because they dont know how to deal with other people. Listen to some of these "old breed" talk in a truck stop, or carry on at the terminal.. they have no respect for themselves or the people around them, they act like they're on the CB! Talk louder and more vulgar please.

Not saying the new breed is any better, but.. look around you, its everyone. What you remember is sometimes better than what actually happened.

5. 359kool

359kool Light Load Member

Jun 18, 2009
    alabama

SweetSouthernRide Thanks this.
  6. SweetSouthernRide

Apr 27, 2009
    Northeast Alabama
    :biggrin_2556: You been checking out my flipper floppers...

Ah... I can't hide it any longer... I wear flipper floppers... :biggrin_25521:

I wore them on the truck with my feller when I rode with him, but I wasn't getting out at customers. That is more of a safety risk that a fashion faux pas for drivers. The same goes for the baggy clothes, and walking through the parking lot on the phone. :biggrin_25512: Not wise.

359kool Thanks this.
  7. KO1927

KO1927 Medium Load Member

May 19, 2009
    NH
    359kool:

I used to be a member of ATHS, then the local club switched to ATCA; and I let my membership lapse when I went to college. If I can find some of this stuff rumored to be currency, I'll be a member of one or both of these again.

359kool Thanks this.
  8. 359kool

359kool Light Load Member

Jun 18, 2009
    alabama

9. SweetSouthernRide

Apr 27, 2009
    Northeast Alabama

10. JohnnyC

JohnnyC Light Load Member

Feb 17, 2009
    virginia beach, virginia
    I'm a rookie to OTR. I wear shorts, I found out that in the summer in the north east it's best not to sweat your nuts off. I wear steel toed sneakers (yup, WalMart). Run your foot over just once with a pallet jack and you will too. Shirt with a collar, more comfortable for me. People show me respect wherever I go. Shippers, receivers, whatever. If I don't know your name it's sir or mam. I'm 54 years old. That's just the way I was taught. Jerk me around and you will most likely be met with a polite response. Break my balls too long and you will regret it, even I can take only so much. I try to remember the golden rule and it serves me well. Happy motoring :)

11. Stump

Stump Heavy Load Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Modesto CA

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.