The Old days are dying and the New drivers only smell like they have.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Muleskinner, Mar 25, 2008.

1. raindancer

raindancer Light Load Member

Jul 30, 2007
    memphis,mo
    Brenda you are so right.In our house we believe in leading by example so so we never bought our kids pants that hung to the butt cheeks or t-shirts with crude sayings. Where I lived in Ballard county Ky. It was yes mam or no sir and you called someone Mrs. so and so. Still that way at my house.
    Last week hubby had short run up and back so son went with him.
    At fuel desk a steering wheel holder was on the cell and motioned son to go ahead of him . Son said "'precaite han" guy got a strange look and called him a $^&%##. obviously didn't know what it ment. Guess it was wrong ebonics.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. myminpins

myminpins Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2007
    Dartmouth, NS, Canada
    Huh? What the heck does that mean? I wouldn't have been rude to your son about it but I would have given him a very questioning look. Translation please? :biggrin_2559:

My kids NEVER wore ill-fitting sloppy clothes and never will while they live here. I can't stand sloppy except for pyjamas!!!

I hate this new thing of calling teachers and adults by their first names. I just can't get used to it. I still think of my teachers as Mr. or Mrs. so and so - even if I meet them today (one of whom I do meet - his daughter and mine peform at a lot of the same concerts). I still call him Mr.!!!

4. raindancer

Jul 30, 2007
    memphis,mo
    translation "I appreciate it drive"

5. myminpins

Sep 20, 2007
    Dartmouth, NS, Canada
    I appreciate it drive?? Or Driver?

Really??? I'd NEVER have figured that out!!!! Can you tell I'm from the north??!! LOL Thanks!!!!

6. raindancer

Jul 30, 2007
    memphis,mo
    I won't hold it against you for being north of the line(Maso-Dixon). You seem like a real nice gal. But I think being able to translate all the words to Covoy by C.W Mc Call should be required to get a CDL in the U S. 'course I don't understand a word of Canadian. Have a heck of a time just ordering brekfast.

7. Muleskinner

Muleskinner <strong>"Shining Beacon of Chickenlights"</strong>

I know what you mean about that "first name" thing.I've heard some "modern" parents allow their kids to call THEM by there first names???? I couldn't even call my relatives( and still don't) by there first names without adding their "title"...Uncle,Aunt etc.Not so much anymore because no one does it and I would sound mentally challenged in todays"educated" world,but if I were to call an elder by first name, out of respect us kids would have to add, Mr. or Miss..ie, if the lady's name was Rose Gardener ,you were to address her as "Miss Rose"...Don't hear that much anymore do you?

And as for the clothes and attitude thing on kids...I only have one kid,a 9 yo daughter and she has been on the back of Mules,Horses,Backhoes,Dozers ( and one sheep for about 3 seconds..She always tells the story like she rode it to town and back and had it neck reining.NOT SO, but funny as hell all the same)and about anything else you can name since her soft spot grew together( STILL waiting on mine to grow together) and her big dream is to be a vet and raise Buffalo ( I tell her she'll have to eat them one leg at a time cause I can't seem to sell/slaughter any animals around my own place without her screaming bloody murder. I used to tell her they ran off when she was younger...she's on to that trick now.lol.SPOT DIDN'T RUN OFF DAD,YOU ATE HIM!!!).She dresses and always has ( Her choice) like a cowgirl from her Cow "person" hat to her wore out cowboy boots ( thank God above for ebay..$ 100 Justin kids boots for $15 every 4 months or so .lol...score!) and although she's dirty within a millisecond of walking out the door( we have 3 Blue Heeler dogs) she doesn't have that baggy unkempt appearance and she never will as long as I'm breathing.Her mother and I reached a milestone a few months back and she wore a VERY nice dress to Church(she's checking over my shoulder right now,wink wink).She has been around rough country boys all her life and been teased by the best this country has to offer in the gouging and practical joking dept( trust me on that) and I give her a lot of rope in gouging someone back as long as it's just teasing, but as far as attitude towards elders ,I DEMAND her to respect them,its not a debate as to whether she will or not.I think a lot of parents today use playstation and such as a babysitter and don't really teach their kids like we were taught for the most part.Kids are like Mules in my book...You gotta school them a bit everyday and stay on top of what they are doing or they'll school YOU in a bad way when you least expect it( drugs,teen pregnancy etc etc)( uhh.. Kids,not Mules on the drugs and teen pregnancy thing..You have other worries with Mules.lol).It'll come back to bite those "advanced" parents one day, I'll guarantee you that.

8. MickeyFIN

MickeyFIN Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Turku, Finland
    I get even picky on some dirt on the drivers floormat...

While running out of country and long legs I always put sandals/driver shoes ( you now them racing type with thin soles so the pedal feel is good ) on so my feet won´t stink at the end of the day...
    On long legs I wash the pedals and sometimes even drive with socks on only and have towels on the floor even... on the passenger seat I always have a "welcome" mat as thats my off duty seat...

While loading unloading I have safety shoes/boots.
    Shower once everyday at a least (before going to bed) if possible..if not wash at least feet, armpits and face&sofort plus brush your teeth etc normal stuff.
    The current outfit has a uniform to wear, so thats mandatory although some just use the jacket..but hell If they´re free why use your own clothes at work?
    Despite Jeans doesn´t have reflectors...

Regarding kids behaviour.. well Im quite a strict dad sometimes and do raise hell once in a while but I have my soft sides too if you shoot straight.

And hell yeah Im DAD to my kids... even sometimes to my wife...

9. leannamarie

leannamarie "California Girl"

I agree with kids today calling adults by their first day, that is horrible. I still have a hard time calling the parents of my friends by their first names, they will always be Mr. or Mrs. to me. I would never dream of having my students call me by my first name, even former students still call me Miss C, Coach, or just my last name.

10. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Back in the day....

Actually around 1985, I decided to make a statement. I bought me a pair of flaming pink and flouresent green shorts. Wore em with a wife beater shirt, and a couple of earings. Oh...and Cowboy boots.

Yup...I had lots of room at the counter when I walked in :)

But I do agree with EVERYTHING you said.

We can't go back. As much as both of us want too.

11. myminpins

Sep 20, 2007
    Dartmouth, NS, Canada
    So many parents are AFRAID to demand anything of their kids. Not me. You darned well better respect my father and mother and be polite when they come over whether you want to or not. I think a lot of this is working parents' fault - they're just not there to teach their kids these things and teachers aren't ALLOWED to "make" kids behave in school any more so they run wild 23 hours out of every 24. It's sad. Back in the day, even if a kid had two working parents, the teachers kept the kids in line. That's just the way it was. Not any more.

Any time we ever stopped to eat and there was an older trucker around, he was always neat and tidy and dressed neatly - not fancy but CLEAN and NEAT and he shaved more than once a week... etc... I hate today's standards - there aren't any.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.