The old I need money for gas scam.

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by shredfit1, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Doulos

Doulos Medium Load Member

Oct 26, 2012
    The state of Confusion
    You know, that would be the cure to "beggars." If there were no compassion then begging would never work and the practice would self terminate. I am happy to say that this is not the state of our world at this time however. I am happy to be "taken" on certain occasions as long as there are times I am able to actually help some others when they are truly in need.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jessi12

jessi12 Light Load Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Louisville, KY

I always say this to my mom because she will not give to anybody, no matter what and she gets on me for giving to people. I tell her that if one out of every 10 people I give money to actually need it, then it is worth it to me.

4. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Baker City does have notoriously bad cell service. Shoot, I'm with Verizon and there are areas around Baker that it is useless. (I've got a kid that lives there, so I'm there now and then.)

5. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    I was hangin off exit 304 I think at the Chevron(?) Hell I dunno but the ol' Verizon worked great there. Also picked up one hell of a big pocket knife at that place..Thought the blade could not ecxceed 5in to be legal? Guess I was wrong..Again.:biggrin_2556: Don't tell the boys on the 'I need protection' thread though.. I always thought a rubber was enough protection.:biggrin_2559:

Big Don Thanks this.
  6. jgremlin

jgremlin Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Well I also firmly believe that giving money to people on the street 'who are truly in need' is actually hurting them much more than helping them.

7. Ex-Con-Trucker

Ex-Con-Trucker Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Atlanta, Ga
    At the McCalla AL, and Birmingham FlyingJ there is always this one guy that always seems to be around asking for money. He has asked me on at least 8 occasions for money. Not one time has he left me with the impression that he remembered the previous times. Each time I tell him no. He's about 30, able bodied, and has enough sense to get around Birmingham asking for money that there is no reason he can't get a job.

I'm of the opinion that giving out money to beggars is a form of enabling. If no one fed their laziness, they'd eventually get tired of begging for nothing, and change their lives. There is way too much freeloading going on in this country. More excuses than solutions, and more takers than producers.

John Stossel made a good documentary about beggars. Stossel is the man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX_aC_KxYLs

The lazy and freeloading variant make it hard to know who is really in need. There are organizations out there that specialize in helping that are 100% non profit. If you wanna help out without enabling, donate to one of those. 99% of the time, if you want real help, there will be someone there to help you.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
    jgremlin Thanks this.
  8. ladywrongway03

ladywrongway03 Heavy Load Member

Aug 28, 2008
    trotwood oh
    I sometimes ask for a shower from another driver because our fuel stops for the discount are pilots.I like TA showers better and if I drive late into the night finding a parking spot at a pilot is a joke.So Im not a lizard but just tryin to save some money

9. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    Of course I will give you a shower anytime..:biggrin_25525::biggrin_255:

10. jgremlin

jgremlin Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2010
    SW Michigan
    This! This is why I NEVER give money or even offer to buy a sandwich for anyone asking for handouts. There are plenty of organizations out there where those in need can get a meal, a bed or help if they really need it. Which tells me the ones hustling for handouts in the truckstops most likely don't really need help and are just looking to scam a mark.

If the people asking for handouts make you feel like you ought to do something to help, the best thing you can do is refuse to give them anything and instead support your local soup kitchen or shelter. Give your money or better yet, your time and effort to the work being done by those organizations and you'll help dozens of people who actually need help rather than supporting the drinking/meth/gambling habit of someone looking for marks in a truckstop.

11. Ex-Con-Trucker

Ex-Con-Trucker Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Atlanta, Ga
    Drinking, meth and gambling definitely lead to a lot of the begging, but unfortunately, I think laziness is the leading contributor. Some find it easier to drum up sympathy than work.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.