The other drivers do it all the time...

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by dancnoone, Jan 26, 2008.

1. pathfinder

pathfinder Medium Load Member

Aug 25, 2007
    central,MN
    this (hopefully) won't work for much longer, but I just flat out tell them "I'm new but i'll try, if you want it fast we should find another spot to unload". One of my first loads this time was a blind side dock between two buildings, not like an alley it was sort of an industrial park but with offices in the buildings and some customer parking. And I had to put it between the doors so they could fork it off. Couldn't get it to save my life. They did eventually just use the forklift when I got close. Then another driver, waiting to unload after me, tells me he usually goes around the building to turn around! Nice of them to tell me! Well at least they got a good laugh to start the day, even if it was at my expense. Glad to hear you vets say "not with my truck!"

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HeavyHaulGirl

HeavyHaulGirl Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I move heavy construction equipment, and have had many instances (mines, oilfields, jobsites) where the safety of myself and my vehicle was in question. At that point, my company insists upon the consignee signing a "hold harmless" guarantee. What that means: the consignee is responsible for any damage (to me, my truck, or any property). And if I really don't feel comfortable with the situation, my company will tell me to stay put and have the consignee come get the machine at a safe location.

4. driver62

driver62 Light Load Member

Jul 10, 2006
    Dayton, Ohio
    I use to pick up at a beverage place north of Cincinnati...Springdale, I believe.

One day, they told me which door to back into and I told them no way...it won't fit.

Then I get the usual "Other truckers get in there all the time."

I had a sleeper cab with a 53' dry box and every other truck there was day cabs with 48' trailers. He asked me about another door and I said no problem. I backed in and got loaded.

The point is, "Don't attempt to back into a door where you know it won't fit." You will be the one with the problem if there's an accident.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.