The OTR loneliness

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Germangirl, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Germangirl

Germangirl Light Load Member

Apr 8, 2010
    All over
    That's an old picture now and had to go :biggrin_25522:....... i looked too nice!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. notezbngrn71

notezbngrn71 Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Stevensville, MI
    I leave for orientation with USA on the 3rd and just starting dating someone seriously about two months ago. We have discussed this at length and I think the key is conversation whenever possible.

just lil me Thanks this.
  4. Germangirl

Apr 8, 2010
    All over
    i think so too! i know a driver of 25 years; he and his wife talk about 15-20 times a day, sometimes just for a couple minutes, this is how they take part in each others lifes and know what's going on.

5. o.m.d.

o.m.d. Heavy Load Member

Aug 15, 2010
    massachusetts
    its funny you mention a parakeet because i seriously whistle and say #### a parrot does. and i'm not even OTR. imagine if i went OTR how crazy i'd be hahaha

6. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    It's not quite as much the solitude that really gets me but the boredom.

SheepDog Thanks this.
  7. frdr

frdr Medium Load Member

Aug 25, 2007
    houston, tx.
    Where is all the "it's a lifestyle" enthusiasts?

8. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    more like a No-Life style.

Davis B and Germangirl Thank this.
  9. Germangirl

Apr 8, 2010
    All over
    That must be the perfect expression, a No-Life-Style!

Strange situation, almost like an addiction...adrenaline running thru the system, i am alone, it's not a "nice situation" but i still like it, life outside can crumble away and once hooked it can be hard to get out....you'll need a network of family and friends out there to leave it, and you definitely need a plan for that.
    -- Just some of my "sometimes thoughts & feelings"... :biggrin_25524:

10. cheeseburger

cheeseburger Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2010
    southeast KY
    I'm quite reclusive and anti-social, so trucking was a good fit for me. You walk into a terminal and most, if not all the drivers are ######## about their job, shipper, receiver, ETC...I don't want to hear it. Truck stops are the same.....########, whining, my wife left me, sell you this, bumming that, politics....don't want to hear that either. I keep in touch with my family on a constant basis, and all is well. I've been OTR for a little less than a year.

11. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    Truck driving is not for everybody. Much less for those with family ties, young kids, or the social types. I love solitude!!! Was raised in solitude, no brothers or sisters, I have no family, no home and really no real friends. So, solitude is pretty normal for me. I don't miss anybody, don't miss any place since I left "my old country" 18 years ago and became a legal immigrant...
    So, here I am, at a truck stop in Colorado, waiting to deliver my load tomorrow morning. This is where I will spend my Christmas.... and that's fine with me.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.