The OTR loneliness

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Germangirl, Dec 17, 2010.

1. bowman316

bowman316 Medium Load Member

Dec 3, 2010
    aberdeen, md
    my brother and law had that wirless card.
    And he would be playing internet poker on his lap top while driving his car.
    lol

you can literally get internet every where.
    except the mtns in WV there there is no service.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. walstib

walstib Darkstar

I have a Verizon air card and use it everyday, so far I haven't found a place it doesn't work at...Sitting in Billings, MT now...

Waitin' on Germangrl to hit me up so we can play some chess now!

4. bowman316

bowman316 Medium Load Member

Dec 3, 2010
    aberdeen, md
    i'd assume it would not work where ever your cell does not work.

When you are in those mtns out in the middle of nowhere it can be impossible to get reception.

but maybe they use sat, and not towers.

5. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

Can I get some more info on this?? (unlimited??) We have Verizon and I haven't seen this (I've been looking) - Does it matter where in the US we live? (we're in CA) Thanks :)

6. Germangirl

Germangirl Light Load Member

Apr 8, 2010
    All over
    hey friend, our game is already running, did you not get my message?:biggrin_255: See you at the chess board

7. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    I use Verizon wireless. Pay $60.00 per month. Pretty good coverage. Check with them.

8. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

I did :D picked up a MiFi (so we can both use a computer at the same time) and it will be $50/month for 5GB's - I don't think we will use that much data - we don't stream videos or play games outside of FB (my husband and Farmville - LOL)... but I do like forums and FB! Plus I will be doing the bookkeeping/bill paying and such while out on the road. I went with Verizon 1) we already use them 2) the MiFi was free w/2 year contract. I liked that FREE part - LOL!

9. Davis B

Davis B Bobtail Member

Oct 2, 2012
    Well put tut.

Living with the isolation...and no other human within arms length requires a unique personality that many don't have. I am also considering this factor as well...as i make my decision for this career or another.

As i ponder this subject...i figured out why the CB is a poor substitute for personal interaction. I would favor cell phone with a head-set to keep in contact with people we love (friends/family) but...its not like being there live. No substitute for personal contact with those you love.

10. Sogreen

Sogreen Bobtail Member

Oct 10, 2017
    As an OTR driver I’m only doing it to pay the bills down. I have no other marketable skills that pay above poverty level. I am single and don’t expect a relationship to last if one happens to spawn during my home time. It is not fair to be gone so much and expect someone to hold on to you. Those that do hold on really REALLY gotta fall head over heels. And I don’t want to hear ‘bring em on your truck with you’ Why? Your job as an OTR driver is long, boring and tedious, It’s dangerous and unhealthy don’t expose your loved ones to this and expect them to enjoy it beyond one night while they pretend they’re ‘camping’. I can’t split sleep the truck either there is just not enough space to live with two people and not murder each other in one week. Home daily trucking careers are an exception but having a life is not guaranteed as a lot of them are 6 days on a week- hard grueling delivery jobs with long hours but as least you can sleep next to a warm body in your own home most nights. You have to live in an area close to DCs however...

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    JonJon78 Thanks this.
  11. Ready2star

Ready2star Bobtail Member

Nov 1, 2018
    Get someone that's ready to travel

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.