The Perfect Lease Purchase Contract!

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by SheepDog, Dec 16, 2013.

1. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    Those numbers are real close guys....depends on what your doing. Would you be shocked if I told you the avg. tractor gross for 2012 was 221k ? Sure was as reported by carriers to Modern Bulk Transporter mag.

I just bought ( L/P ) a fleet tractor with all records, it's an 06. They showed me the cost of the truck since inception, just under 48k for maintenance ( over 8 years ) so not to bad...I thought.

Point is, I think the report numbers are close enough to bank on and base your operation as such..........and no, I would never even remotely consider a lease / buy deal even north of $500 a week. Too many things can go wrong even with new and a large payment would clean you out in short order. New units have been known to sit at dealers for weeks waiting for experts, parts and shop time.

JMO

Mooose Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mikestgeorge

Mikestgeorge Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2014
    Trucks don't cost 2500 bucks anymore, Try 130 k . Good luck with your spare change jar . Most companies wont lease on a truck older than three years

Western flyer Thanks this.
  4. popcorn169

popcorn169 Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2011
    state of confusion
    I have talked to several companies and their requirements are from 5 years to whatever age as long as it is able to pass their inspection. I have not heard of a company that requires a truck to be 3 years or newer unless you are leasing it from them. Not disagreeing just haven't heard that.

5. marmonman

marmonman Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    central illinois
    I know what a truck costs I have bought plenty of the from brand new to well used .
    You can save enough to buy a darn good first truck with out haveing to lease one just to call yourself a truck owner.

As far as companies wanting new trucks it more like 5 years or newer.
    Here's the deal though most companies that have that requirement I wouldn't lease a truck to anyway.
    They want you deep into the bankers pocket so you have no choice but run your butt off at their cheap rate just to eat.

A good company cares more about the shape the truck is than the year of the truck.
    As long as you do the job and not get shut down by DOT they don't care about age .

Besides if I am buying my own truck I danged sure ain't leasing onto any outfit that wants to tell me what year of truck I need .

chalupa and popcorn169 Thank this.
  6. Mikestgeorge

Mikestgeorge Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2014
    I hear you Marmon , I was leased onto JBK out of Amarillo for six years with an old international and made a good living . However , old truck equals no California , js

7. Stile

Stile Heavy Load Member

Mar 8, 2014
    Sounds like a win/win, to me.

8. Rebelboy

Rebelboy Bobtail Member

Apr 3, 2014
    You have to know whAt to haul.
    Some companies say you make 78% of the load plus 100% fsc.
    but what your not told is the load you get may have been at a higher rate.
    negotiate negotiate
    if you pull a load for $1.93/mile your being ripped off.
    the national average for flatbed rates is $2.44 plus add in the 61% fsc this is what the load should pay per mile.
    flatbed pays great dry van rAtes national average is $2 a mile
    reefer is $2.42.
    know what you want to haul, and where you want to go.
    most companies offer cheap trucks like freightliners, if you dont like freightliners dont go to that company.
    freight is hot coming out of florida going north
    chicago pays good and going northeast pays the best
    cali freight sucks coming out of the northeast the pay isnt as high as going in but it wont break the bank.
    go check roadrunner transportation services they have pretty good deals
    you can run how you want when and where you want
    you are your dispatcher

9. Mooose

Mooose Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Sherwood Park,AB
    "Cheap trucks like Freightliners"......really?? I got three of them and I'm #### happy with them!! because your right they are cheap trucks: cheap parts, cheap on fuel, cheap to repair when they need it because I can do most of it myself. Yep next time I see the Freightliner salesman I'm gonna tell him he's got cheap trucks maybe that will make him feel better because all my iron is pre-emission and he's been trying for years to sell me a new one.
    Freightliner: cheap iron and I'm #### proud of mine.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2014
  10. Stile

Stile Heavy Load Member

Mar 8, 2014
    Pre-emissions Freightliners are NOT cheap on fuel. The very idea is hilarious.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2014
    ChefBrianN Thanks this.
  11. freightlinerman

freightlinerman Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Florida
    Care to explain? That's a pretty vague comment.

Mooose Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.