The Proper Dash Cam Choice, Setup, and Use

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Thane, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    Careful now! I don't want to have to find a blank Hurt Feelings report!

88228822 and rank Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Thane

Thane Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2017
    That's a great idea. Never considered it, but with an inverter it'd be a great system. And it'd have the space to record a week before writing over older vids.

4. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    I've been using a Uniden UDR 444 since 2015 I think. It's a stand alone 4 camera system with it's own display (no computer required). It has limited storage capacity though so it needs to overwrite after a few hrs. It won't do a whole weekend.

5. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Can you name a single example?

rank Thanks this.
  6. valerchekk

valerchekk Light Load Member

Feb 8, 2014
    VIOFO A119 V3 Car Dash Camera with Sony Starvis IMX335 sensor This is what I've been using for almost 2 years already. Probably recorded close to 10.000 hrs so far. I never turn this thing off! You can get an adapter for extra $10 bucks so you can leave the dash cam on even when your engine is off and it will prevent it from draining the batteries. +100F Arizona summer, -20F Wyoming winter no issues whatsoever. Google the name of this dash cam and read what others say about it.
    There is also a newer and presumably better version that has a built-in Wi-Fi available for an extra $10 bucks or so A129 5GHz Wi-Fi Full HD Dash camera

As for an SD card, I am using Samsung Pro Endurance 128GB https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Endu...&qid=1582091324&sprefix=Samsung+high+,aps,475 Thousands hours of recording and not a single corrupted video file so far

rabbiporkchop, 88228822 and zaroba Thank this.
  7. zaroba

zaroba Heavy Load Member

Aug 28, 2012
    South East PA
    I've used dashcams in every vehicle I've driven over the past 15 years.

1. Always check your card at least once a month or even weekly if you want to be more cautious. Take it out of the camera and stick it into your laptop to make sure it's still working. You don't want to find out the camera or card is broken by not having video when you need it. Often times there is no way to know it isn't working until you try and check the video, especially with lower end dashcams.

2. My memory is a bit sketchy at the moment, but I think a 2gb card is good for around 2 hours of 1080p recording (ignoring g-sensor events). You really only need enough storage to cover the time you will be away from the truck, otherwise you can just pull the video off the card right away.

3. When involved in an accident or even witnessing an accident, don't mention the camera AT ALL until the police come and tell them first. Talking about it with the drivers involved will give them time to think of an excuse if it was their fault. Letting them lie about the accident to the officers before you talk to the officers will help catch them if it was an insurance fraud attempt. Let them tell their side of the story first, then when the officer comes to you explain what happened or what you witnessed and offer to show the video. They might even ask you to email a copy of the video to them.

4. Don't discredit the usefulness of videos where you are at fault, while they will prove your guilt, they will also limit how much you can be guilty for. Don't mention the camera or video at all, not to police, not to the other people, not to your company. Just pretend it doesn't exist, but DO save the video. You want to keep the video in case that car you lightly bumped at a red light due to not paying attention suddenly has much worse damage because the person decided to run it into a stone wall before contacting your insurance company in hopes of a bigger payout, or they suddenly decide they need a neck brace and crutches when the video shows them walking around and talking with you. Insurance company WILL want details from you about it, especially if the insurance company finds the persons claim doesn't match up with your claim or a police report and the video can help save you even though it was your fault.

5. Keep the camera running even if the truck is off. Vehicles often have a mix of outlets that don't and still do have power when the key is off. Single camera setups use so little energy they wont effect the battery in a car running for a few days with the engine off, much less the battery bank of a semi.

6. Mounting. Location has already been discussed. But you want the mount to be very stable and secure. We know trucks bounce around a lot and a loose mount (or joint in a mount) can have the camera vibrating non-stop. The video will be shaky, you might have noise in the video from the buttons rattling around, and g-senser triggered recordings will be far more common.

As an example, rattling from the buttons and loose joint in the adjustable mount.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.