The ramblings of a rookie

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Samarquis, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Samarquis

Samarquis Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2017
    Maine
    The boss is great. Its a mellow place to work. They understand that accidents happen, but still push for safety. Its a good balance.

Working for a small company is nice. Super small lol. Flatbed division is 3 company drivers 2 o/o and 1 L/o all sharing 1 dispatcher, who is a driver himself with over 2 millions miles-half of them as an owner op.

So we dont have to deal with any of the big company corporate bull.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Samarquis

Dec 20, 2017
    Maine
    Harrisburg, PA tonight. Headed for Columbia, SC in the morning. Smooth sailing so far

4. Samarquis

Dec 20, 2017
    Maine
    Unloaded in columbia, sc around 1-130. Headed for donalds, sc to reload. Made it with 1 minute left on my 11. Got loaded and they "suggested" i find a different parking location. Bummer but thank god for the new personal conveyance rules. Hit up the ol trucker path and found the closest place to park and headed there.

Chilling out in laurens sc for the night. Then off to pa to unload reload and start for ma. Home thursday or friday hopefully

Highway Sailor and Lepton1 Thank this.
  5. Truckermania

Truckermania Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Sturgis,SD
    Yeah. I have used the personal conveyance guidance once so far. Glad to have that option.

Samarquis Thanks this.
  6. Samarquis

Dec 20, 2017
    Maine
    Parked for the night at the petro on carlisle. Its my first petro experience but it doesnt seem terrible. Loading in the morning about 30min from here then smoking it towards westfield, ma to get close. Then deliver thursday at 730. Should be an easy day

Fancy gap was pretty cool going up and over both ways. That must be a heck of a ride in the winter. I wish i still had an 18 or 13spd though. The automatic makes me lazy, and im missing out on valuable experience on the big hills.

Just had a shower. Gonna go run my crap back out to the truck and think about experiencing the iron skillet buffet for the first time.

Despite some difficulties on the home front, im still happy to be trucking. And im very glad that i elected to run our long haul stuff. Even staying local i was still out all week, and it was always a rush. This is a little more mellow and im seeing some country too. Loving it.

I could go on, but i wont right now lol.

Anybody else in carlisle?

More to come

Stay safe out there

7. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Check out the food. Especially in the fuel office. Petro has great food!

Lepton1 and Samarquis Thank this.
  8. Samarquis

Dec 20, 2017
    Maine
    Definitely more impressed with petros food offerings than i am with TA. Iron skillet was better than country pride by about a mile lol. And i got breakfast at the counter in the fuel building and was very happy for the price. Thanks for the heads up on the food

9. Samarquis

Dec 20, 2017
    Maine
    At Loves in Canaan, NY for the night. Getting ready for a shower. This is my first time showering at a loves but it seems nice, just had a long wait.

Unload about an hour away at 7:30am then reload nearby with some culverts headed towards home. Im hoping to offload those tomorrow but it may not work out. After that its just reloading for next week and enjoying some time with the wife and the little one.

Stay safe out there

Highway Sailor and Lepton1 Thank this.
  10. Truckermania

Truckermania Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Sturgis,SD
    Thanks for the update. Hope you are able to get home soon and that you have good time with the family. I just stopped for the night in Faucett,MO. I have a load of steel I-beams going to Sioux Falls. After that I will be off for a few days doing a mini vacation camping with the family. Looking forward to it!

Highway Sailor, Lepton1 and Samarquis Thank this.
  11. Samarquis

Dec 20, 2017
    Maine
    So close yet so far...

Unloaded, sitting 70 miles north of my house for the night to reload first thing. Could have gone home for tonight but the wife and I agree that im a dink when im home just long enough to sleep.

Load in the AM, 1 hr back to shop, hit this big pig with a hose to take off some road grime, then head for home. Woohoo!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.