The ramblings of a rookie

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Samarquis, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Samarquis

Samarquis Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2017
    Maine
    Well, it has been about a week since my last update. But im still kicking.

Marital problems (or should i say end of marital problems) have taken up a fair amount of my free time as of late. Although i can confidently say its not related to my career. Just explains why ive been radio silent

Still running local ish. Did altamont, ny monday. Backhaul from mass to nh, then a 2nd one getting me back up north to reload for a lumber yard near cape cod this morning. I made it to my delivery location but i missed the receiving hours by about an hour due to severe traffic (im looking at you Boston). So im at the wal mart around the corner for the night to deliver when they open.

Deliver in the AM, run to RI for a backhaul after, then probably reload for monday... Or load 2 trailers friday. Idk yet.... Then the weekend with the little one.

Really hoping to run long again soon. Now that i have experienced outside the northeast, i have no desire to drive here lol

How is everybody else doing?

@Slim51 how is the local gig?

Stay safe out there

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Truckermania

Truckermania Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Sturgis,SD
    Sorry to hear you are having marital problems. Sending up a prayer for you and your family.

From Irving, Texas I picked up a load of trailers from load trail in Sumner, Texas and took the all the way to Lynden, WA. I've been running recap but managed to get load delivered Monday morning. I was almost out of hours but managed to get to a small convenience store that had some truck parking in Burlington, WA. I spent the rest of the day there and went to Bellevue, WA to pick up a load of steel from a construction site. That was a super tight pickup and lots of traffic but thank God I made it. At this moment I'm at the Flying J in Lockwood, MT near Billings. This load is scheduled for Williston, ND tomorrow morning. I will be pretty much out of hours when I get there. Thankfully I am very familar with Williston area and will find a place to park. Drive safe!

Lepton1 and Samarquis Thank this.
  4. Highway Sailor

Highway Sailor Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Erie,Pa.
    West of Albany, Ny parked for the night to make it up your way Saco,Me. Turn around for a reload in Canton, Ma to Michigan for Monday delivery.

Samarquis Thanks this.
  5. Slim51

Slim51 Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Maine
    Man... sorry to hear about the issues at home. That’s rough.

The local gig is going great. Training lasted just over a week. It was basically just learning the water testing procedures and data entry stuff, load/unload procedures (which was extremely straight forward, especially where I’ve only know tanker anyway), and learning the routes.

I got my permanent schedule/truck yesterday. 3pm start in a newer (16-17) w900. This thing hauls 100k like a dream. The schedule isn’t perfect, but it’s totally satisfactory, and I still get night shift pay. I will say I have a different attitude being hourly, and especially getting paid OT. I wasn’t stressed runnin OTR on mileage pay, but time was ALWAYS on my mind. Also, I love driving around rural Maine...

Im enjoying my weekend right now (wed/thurs.) and will be back at it Friday at 3. I’ll finish this month working 5 days/wk then onto 6 days/wk until the new baby comes sometime in October. I’ll go back to 6 days once everything is settled at home, until things slow down for the winter.

Outside of trucking....we finally got all our wood split last week. I brought our pigs to the slaughterhouse this am after work (got 2hrs of sleep) and I got to milk with my wife tonight, just her and I, at the dairy farm she works at. The same one I worked at before the whole trucking thing started. It’s a place I love and a world I love, so it’s a treat to me. The kids went to the in laws so we got a real date night, just the way we like it lol.

I hope everyone stays safe, and most of all enjoys themselves!

6. Samarquis

Dec 20, 2017
    Maine
    Glad to hear everyone is doing well.

Im back out on the road! No more local stuff for me lol. At least for this week.

Just delivered claysburg pa. Have a 2nd unload at emlenton pa. Unknown what comes after, but I've been assured its a long run. Out until next wednesday or so then taking 4-5 days off to go camping with the little one and visit the county fair for tuff truck competition and demo derby. Should be lots of fun.

Brought my 15 yo nephew again. Hes liking the longer drive and is a big help. I've been hurting pretty bad since last friday when i took him and my little one to the trampoline park and attempted to participate. Landing on my neck and shoulder in between the trampolines showed me i probably should have stuck to watching lol. So it has been nice to have some help.

All in all id say things are looking up.

Hows everybody this week?

Stay safe out there

WesternPlains and Slim51 Thank this.
  7. Truckermania

Oct 13, 2011
    Sturgis,SD
    Glad to hear things are looking up. Since last update I had a load of steel fron Bellevue, WA to Williston, ND. Then picked up a container going from Williston to Fremont, NE. Got a 34 in Sioux Falls, SD on the way. After delivering this morning got a short same day load from Omaha, NE to Spencer, IA. Should be making my way home by Saturday for my Son's 10th birthday.

Samarquis and Lepton1 Thank this.
  8. Samarquis

Dec 20, 2017
    Maine
    Well... This week blows so far

Brought my nephew with me which is going great. Delivered my 2 stops in PA without much trouble. Then got to sit for 3 hours waiting for a load to get dispatched. Thats okay, #### happens.

So i go pick up in bergholz, OH, which was fun of its own because garmin and google were both wildly incorrect on location. Head for orange, VA, where once again my location is totally wrong. Finally arrive and its a 3 hour wait(and change) to unload. Im still pretty optimistic at this point. I have company so it isnt bad.

Head for richmond, va to reload for mass. Broker claims this load is straps only, no chains needed. So i get there at noon, they say no loading until 230 but stay on site and theyll see what they can do.

So i wait. Until 330. Then they have my blind side into the building, and the guy says "8 chains 8 binders, get them out"... Ok well i dont have that. We dont generally haul anything that specifically requires chain and the weight savings was intended to be worth the unpreparedness. So i got booted out for not having chains. Waited an hour for confirmation on what to do, then gave up and headed for loves in providence forge.

Im trying to remain positive because "thats truckin". But man id like to make some money while im out here lol

Hope you all have better things to say

Stay safe out there

9. Truckermania

Oct 13, 2011
    Sturgis,SD
    Hope things get better for you. What you need is a good cross country run. 4 days of nothing but driving, deliver and pick up and do it again. I think you would love the Pacific Northwest. Safe driving!

Samarquis Thanks this.
  10. Samarquis

Dec 20, 2017
    Maine
    Id kill for a run like that. Stretch my legs, see some country, and make some good money

Truckermania Thanks this.
  11. Samarquis

Dec 20, 2017
    Maine
    Well... Got a load this morning. 2 hours away. So we rolled there, loaded. It looks like a small lumber load. Loader guy confirmed small lumber load. Gives me paperwork and says im good to smoke it for ohio. So, since there are multiple trucks with larger loads in line to scale, i just rolled on by.

Things went smoothly until i got to the weigh station on 81 near winchester, va. Scaled at 83,380. So i got my very first overweight ticket. Its really my own fault at this point. Boss doesnt seem too angry about it.

Gonna reload in talmadge oh. But first i need to get corner protectors (the 10" ones. I have normal ones) prior to loading. Or confirm if they will sell me some. No luck so far at the truck stops en route.

Parked in new stanton pa at the rest stop. Next to a lepton transport truck, which makes me wonder if that has association with @Lepton1 lol

Just another day. Hope everybody else continues to have a week smoother than mine

Stay safe out there

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.