The randy tablets

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Cw5110, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    550 is Non-Staa also.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    What was the address and from what direction did you come from?

How old were his maps?

4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009

i don't know. that was 3 years ago. we were out by the ocean practically is all i can say.

5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    you keep bringing up this STAA thing.

in other words, what your saying is that rand will only use approved routes, while other truck gps's will use any state dot approved road for trucks.

THAT right there sounds like a reason NOT to use rand. not very practical routing if it can't use the same highways other gps's and trucks will use.

when i used the rand for 2 weeks. i figured i'd probably be driving at LEAST an extra 2000 miles every month. just because of that STAA thing. i don't want a gps that can't route me appropriately becuase it's not STAA approved.

i can't imagine using rand in the state of colorado. cuz NONE of them back roads are STAA approved. and half my destinations. are on them back roads. same goes for the state of idaho.

any gps that keeps itself confined to staa routing only. isn't a gps to be used.

6. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    It appears your post was ignored. RM must be taking lessons from the hired snake.

7. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    No need to get personal on here.

8. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    This seems to have gotten off topic so I'll go with it.

I've use both pc miler (co pilot) and rand.

Both have tried to get me to go places trucks don't belong.

Both do a very good job over all.

There are things rm does better and things co pilot does better.

For example co pilot lets you easily look over an entire multiple stop route where as rm only lets you preview as far as the first stop. co pilots combination of via's and stops is far superior to rm's 'via' option.

Both are a great tool, both have their problems and both will get you in trouble at some point if you follow them blindly.

Dieselboss Thanks this.
  9. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    Not getting personal I pointed out a fact.

A few months back the snakeoil salesman was putting down Rand gps's. He went on about how he has tried them all and just had no luck with them. He endorsed using Garmin products.

So can you see why people would be skeptical about any product KR ties his name to?

Not a wise move on Rands part to pair with a guy that publicly put their product down.

10. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    You are allowed for local deliveries to be on a Non-Staa road. You just cannot use it as a pass through.

This statement is countering itself. "in other words, what your saying is that rand will only use approved routes, while other truck gps's will use any state dot approved road for trucks."

The information is in the mapping companies DB. If you buy a car GPS the map license will be cheaper since the maps do not require the extra information that a truck would need.

How other companies use the map data is up to them. RM uses the truck restrictions plus their own Proprietary db of truck restrictions not added in the map database which is overlaid during compile into the mapset.

They are state approved truck restrictions that the states have placed into effect.

How you chose to drive on these roads is up to you. But, if the RM will not route you on a road for a weight, Non-Staa, etc restriction and you do decide to drive on that road since "you see other trucks" and you happen to get stopped and get a ticket, then that ticket is all on you.

As a professional driver you should always be aware of any truck restrictions and a good written source is the MCRA. But, you are the one behind the wheel and you make the decisions. All RM and the MCRA are doing is giving you the tools to be safe and legal.

No need to continue this anymore.

Here is an added bonus. Hazmat routing for CO. http://dtdapps.coloradodot.info/staticdata/Downloads/StatewideMaps/HazMatMap.pdf

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  11. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    It appears my post is also going to be ignored.

Nothing personal just another fact.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.