The REST Act, some sensible legislation?!?!

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Michael H, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Trucker61016

Trucker61016 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Linville, Va
    So it has to be 3 hours all at once. Then I'd save it for that one shipper or customer who takes 4 hours to finish. I could go off duty 3 hours and only actually lose 1 hour on my 14 for the extra 1 hour I'm there. I can see this useful to get a ts if needed.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    it looks like they should call it a 17 hour window

sevenmph Thanks this.
  4. cjb logistics

cjb logistics Heavy Load Member

Aug 13, 2016
    Liberal Ks
    What is also needed is a rule passed that would allow drivers to keep up to 1.5 hours max of unused drive time from the day before. If you shut down early to find suitable parking give it back the next day.
    Keep it simple 1.0, or 1.5 hours, no halfs or 45's. If you don't need it the next days drive time-carryover until needed in your 70.
    Drive time at an extra hour or hour&half can't be added to until you use it up all at once, or lose the .5 if just drive an hour extra.
    How many of us would benefit from gaining back some lost drive time that is lost finding parking before your 11 runs out.
    3 times this trip out I have shut down with at least an hour +/- left of drive time.
    One day of carryover would have changed my other two times to maybe shutting down only 15-30 minutes of drive time to park.

5. Michael H

Michael H Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Arizona
    Cjb, interesting thought of banking your hours. I like it. What if I took it one step further and proposed 70 hours per week, use them at your discretion. When the hours are used up, your week is done.

cjb logistics Thanks this.
  6. cjb logistics

Aug 13, 2016
    Liberal Ks
    Might have a hard time with that thought and people being people. #### someone would drive for three days with out sleep and ruin it for the responsible drivers.

If the carryover doesn't suit the law givers; how about 780 miles or 12.5 hours drive whichever comes first.
    Some of you drive 70 to 80 on posted interstates; I keep her under 70 for fuel saving; given the amount of traffic, hills, mountains, four wheelers, etc; 780/12.5 would even give the governed trucks a benefit.
    Law givers don't take into consideration with ELD's stop and go, traffic, construction, terrain.

Let's call it the 780/12.5/15 rule; 15 being the extra work hour needed.

Michael H Thanks this.
  7. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Or 14 hours a day and 10 hours off to enjoy life.

Brandt Thanks this.
  8. cjb logistics

Aug 13, 2016
    Liberal Ks
    Didn't say anything about removing the 10; freaking time does not have to equal a 24 day. And if your a company driver and it does- keep it simple, go back to current rule.

9. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Right so when tshtf and you HAVE to sit at the dock or in the yard for 3 hours it burns 3 hours of your day no wait time ought to count against your 14. You unambitious wannabes need to quit whining when expected to actually put some time in.

Sublime Thanks this.
  10. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    You charge them detention pay and two things happen. You get paid to site burning up your 14 hour clock. So you making money. This way you can afford to go park at 14 hour limit. The other thing is your putting pressure on them to load/unload the truck faster. This way you can make money driving.

If you unambitious whinners want to burn up you 14 hours sitting for free that's your choice. Why don't you change them for your time.

cjb logistics Thanks this.
  11. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    That's phenomenal. It would work for we responsible drivers. Although we'd have to have so many cameras facing every possible direction, catching all the action every moment to PROVE our innocence in every little fender bender.
    But... I like it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.