The rookie

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by meechyaboy, Nov 6, 2018.

1. meechyaboy

meechyaboy Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Detroit, Michigan
    Also was told a dump truck wrecked this Wednesday on the Sbend. Right info front of the oc on 79 going N, you can see the tire marks in the median, he went between split of the bridge and land on the street below

Shaggy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. meechyaboy

Oct 4, 2018
    Detroit, Michigan
    So Friday they took everybody around the block for a quick drive to get everybody certified in the automatics. Im guessing the reason being is that they want you to drive them in the manual mode so making sure you got yours gears down should have made the transition easy just turned shifting into a flick of the wrist.. I still absolutely do not trust the hill assist.. that being said we had a class of 13 which was cut to 12 day one because of a hair sample graduate 11 students on time. The last is supposed to test Monday, all I can say is from my time in the automatic with him (about 20 mins of him at the wheel) in the bunk I feared for my life 3x...Glad that’s over with
    now Saturday everybody got their full set of ppe (pickle suits) And travel plans for the next steps with Te’s and I already know some of them ain’t gonna last very long... we have to log our driving in the rental cars as on duty. So follow along with me I’m not a genius but class is 8.5 hours , 12 days straight. We start class at 0700 and was cut loose at 1330 - 1lunch an 15 min break plus time driving back to hotel
    Pretty much to start the day we had 10.5 hours available before class. Also of note , check in isn’t until Sunday. Everybody in the class has pretty much a 6 to 7 hour drive. Yet we still had classmates planning to leave today and planing to go 200 miles out of the way to go home . And explaining it to them has me questioning how they passed the logging portion of the class ..
    Moving on I’m going to the Gary Oc with 2 other classmates. This is probably the last time I will ever eat subway

4. meechyaboy

Oct 4, 2018
    Detroit, Michigan
    Made it out to Gary and on the 2nd day with my Te. Very knowledgeable and good at teaching us our responsibilities and how to approach situations. For example today we had a delivery and it was a customer unload. Upon arrival the customer wasn’t happy about our time even though we were in the delivery window, bottom line was can only control what we can control and don’t speak on anything outside of your assignment. Lastly it was a customer unload and all we had to do was make sure their compressor was in the right right range and make sure they knew how to shut the valve.. that being said... they got it done but man the safety hazards they had, I was smh and I’m the rookie

5. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    We have 15 minutes on either side of a specific time, but customers are very cool if there's a miss. Crap happens on the road that's out of your control. It's fantastic to have folks that recognize the world doesn't revolve around them.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    I live almost on Route 65, Mckees Rocks to Edgeworth is very narrow. Us local trucks run the fast lane to avoid the sewer grates and low curbs ( heck with traffic, those bumps will throw you off the road )) Emsworth isn't so bad, opens up near camp horn road, then get to sewickley gets narrow again. SUICIDE blvd what it's called. Stay safe driver !

Gnathole and Kiddo Thank this.
  7. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    Several times a month this happens. It's just a bad area. Don't follow the lines, use your lane and don't be afraid to use every bit of it.

Kiddo Thanks this.
  8. meechyaboy

Oct 4, 2018
    Detroit, Michigan
    Yea we were given a large window for the delivery time 1000-1400 to we arrived 1300 they said they were waiting for weeks for the load so my guess was their problems were above my pay grade. Had nothing to do with us

9. Thanos

Thanos Bobtail Member

May 12, 2018
    Neverland
    Im headed to coroapolis in a few weeks... Just received my CDL recently and the way you guys describe the hills and s- turns has me a bit nervous. My instructor in school told me winter is the worst time to start driving as a new driver but it'll eitherbreak me in or weed me out fast. Looking forward to the challenge.

meechyaboy Thanks this.
  10. meechyaboy

Oct 4, 2018
    Detroit, Michigan
    Your in good hands don’t be afraid to ask any questions you may have. The day we tested out was the day we had bad weather and long as you take your time there will be no issues .. did you practice in a manual or auto?

11. Thanos

Thanos Bobtail Member

May 12, 2018
    Neverland
    Manual

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.