The rookie

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by meechyaboy, Nov 6, 2018.

1. newbietrucker91

newbietrucker91 Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Texas
    Remember a video of a guy loading at some offsite location and the product is just overflowing onto the ground while he is in the cab on his phone. People were honking but he never noticed till a couple 100 gallons were all over the floor lol.

slim shady Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. meechyaboy

meechyaboy Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Detroit, Michigan
    Ok thanks for the confirmation and that’s exactly what I thought it was. They just just said you don’t wanna Scully out or it’s a 3 Day ban the first time but I got the context clues.

4. meechyaboy

Oct 4, 2018
    Detroit, Michigan
    Day 3 went well also, I’m currently sitting at around 30 hours. Loading and unloading I feel confident I can do solo, outside of the loading screens, still Havent had that broken down Yet but I’m still green. So far loving the gig, which is funny cause Schneider called today didn’t get to answer and they didn’t leave a message but I’m sure I know what they want

5. newbietrucker91

Oct 16, 2015
    Texas
    We got a list of drivers that have left us that we would like back. - what they would of said if they decided to leave a msg.

meechyaboy Thanks this.
  6. ErieMcDreary

ErieMcDreary Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2016
    Erie PA
    Yeah, I was gonna add the "time out" for some racks, but not all. It just depends on the circumstances.
    It's not the end of the world.

7. meechyaboy

Oct 4, 2018
    Detroit, Michigan
    Day 4: Went well but my trainer... He’s trying to teach as if I’m starting from day one with no tank experience at all. The one thing I don’t do is rush and he has developed this thing where he wants me to prove myself to him. The way they laid it out was a full week of just riding, before you even begin doing work. So day 2 was my first day out in The truck I was able to map out the whole unload while he was doing it. Second unload I was doing half the work when I wasn’t supposed to be touching anything week 1. Day 3 I was doing half the work and day 4 he said he wasn’t touching nothing. So I’m coming from doing 3 compartments myself on ecolab to him just saying hook up here and do this. Now the thing I understood was that it was his ### if things went wrong and that he wasn’t giving me the full picture. So we had a load of 1000 premium and 8000 reg and he loaded 3000 2000 1000p 1500 1500. Now leaving the rack I knew the regular wasn’t loaded to fill evenly. I didn’t know the station had two separate tanks until we got there. Now after dipping the tanks I already knew one was higher than the other and began unloading as instructed and he told me to switch to certain compartment, and he was upset that I didn’t ask why he had me do that. So because I don’t ask the same question that somebody who hasn’t done this for the last year would ask he thinks I’m not paying attention. We had a pump unload and for some reason because I’m never in the biggest of hurries he thinks I’m not paying attention. So during the unload the pump were at this place where no body knows the actual tank size. There’s no chart and the only instruction says under 2 feet 8000 will slide easy- under 2 and a half will slide hard... it was under 2 and we had 8000 but doing this type of work for a year you can never trust them gauges so we’re unloading the last compartment and the pump starts screaming. (Remember 1st pump unload I’m not supposed to be touching nothing) So instead of me leaping to shut stuff off I watched him do it and of course he just assumed I wasn’t paying attention.

So I think there’s a disconnect in what he thinks the new guy actually knows

scythe08 and Orange713 Thank this.
  8. meechyaboy

Oct 4, 2018
    Detroit, Michigan
    Day 5: Had a different trainer entirely different approach. Had 3 stops. 2 of the loads he walked me through the loading screens at the the racks and it’s simple but complicated at the same time lol. 1st stop was a gas station and we dropped regular and premium (well he showed me how he did it) . 2nd stop was a pump at a construction site. Which he let me do and showed me different ways to vent the trailer. Process went pretty smoothly. And then our final stop was another gas station where we dropped premium and reg again. While unloading a lady hops out her car and says “is it true what they say? You not supposed to get gas while y’all doing that?” Then hops back in the car before we can answer and pulled off lol. Back to the yard and we were home in about an hour. Trainers words were “ Now I gotta go home and lie to everybody about how hard my day was at work” haha

scythe08, dwells40 and newbietrucker91 Thank this.
  9. newbietrucker91

Oct 16, 2015
    Texas
    Keep up the good work. 1st trainer probably only has a single training way that assumes you never touched a tank before. Dont let it get to you. Just remember after it's all over, your be on your own and crusing to your own tune.

10. ErieMcDreary

ErieMcDreary Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2016
    Erie PA
    Have had a lot of people ask about filling up while we're dropping. I tell them waaaayy back in the 70's, when underground tanks were steel, yeah you could have a problem with rusty sediment, but today all the inground tanks are poly, and there's no rust sediment, so fill away!
    Trainers are weird, mine was super cool, had me doing everything within the week. I told him I learn more by doing than watching! Still had to ride and watch for the first day, second day I was out and getting set up before he got to my side of the trailer. It does take a while to get the hang of the loading screens, just make sure you have everything right before you push OK. I goofed up a couple weeks ago, switched the load amount, but not the arm. OOOPS. Just had to drain a couple bucket fulls out until the scully light went out. I dumped the product into the next compartment up top. HINT. Don't open the internal when doing this. Just drain the tube.

meechyaboy and scythe08 Thank this.
  11. meechyaboy

Oct 4, 2018
    Detroit, Michigan
    Everybody has their own way of teaching and I respect that. Still dont know how to drain out. I’ve seen the hose for it but it hasn’t been explained.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.