The start of my first year with Swift.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Sheriff1/6, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Mrh2008

Mrh2008 Road Train Member

May 25, 2012
    Mesa, AZ
    I caught the back end as well. Got about 3" in limon, but surprisingly, i70 was dry from there to Denver for the most part, a wet spot here and there but no snow/ice on the road.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sheriff1/6

Sheriff1/6 Medium Load Member

Oct 16, 2012
    Boise, ID
    I made the delivery to SLC this morning and waited around for another load. The guy at the window kept telling me it shouldn't be very long. It actually took about 4 hours to get a load. I got lucky and caught a load bound for Nampa, ID with a return trip to Corrine, UT when I get done with my home time. It looks like I have a chance to be part of the surge fleet out of here. I talked to my DL about it and he offered me a spot on a dedicated Canada run. I guess I'll see where this all goes.

4. Sheriff1/6

Oct 16, 2012
    Boise, ID
    I made my delivery to Walmart in Nampa. It's kind of odd how some folks do things. While I was inside the store talking to the receiving, another driver pulled his truck in front of the trailer I had to move from the dock. Thinking he was just going to be there a short while I went about my business of unhooking from my loaded trailer. When I went back to his truck to ask him to move, he was gone. I snaked around him and was able to pull out the empty trailer. i dropped hit and re-hooked to the loaded one. Still the driver never showed back up. I finally went back and rang the buzzer for receiving. Since they only are supposed to be letting in one driver at a time I knew I had a long wait. It took about 20 minutes for them to open the door and here came the driver. I asked him to move his truck so I could dock and he did. He seemed like a nice guy, I guess he just wasn't paying attention when he parked.

Please, pay attention to where you stop. You may be blocking someone else in who actually needs to be someplace.

5. goblue

goblue Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2012
    Grand Prairie, Texas
    Well i had a preplan to slc..but it got pulled and now im headed southeast..thought i might get to meet up with you.

I agree it sucks when people are in the way and either dont care or dont take the time to park in a proper place.

6. Mrh2008

May 25, 2012
    Mesa, AZ
    Its been 15 months with SWIFT now, and I can feel my time here coming to an end. Theres been good times, and there's been bad times. Unfortunately, more bad than good. We'll see how it goes!

7. Sheriff1/6

Oct 16, 2012
    Boise, ID
    That doesn't sound good.

8. secorp

secorp Medium Load Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Lakeland Florida
    MR H, Talk with Management regarding what you need to be happy before you leave. Lots of people just leave and never discuss there situation only to find out later Management would have done what they wanted or met half way. Start low then go higher up the chain. If Fleet Manager is unwilling then you have done all you can.
    Hate for you to throw away 15 Months.

9. comallard

comallard Light Load Member

Feb 19, 2013
    Lagrange, GA
    Some months ago, everything was completely opposite. There was nothing wrong in MRH's world, but seemed like Sheriff was getting screwed. Now, seems to be the other way around. Things must be bad, very bad, for MRH to speak this way of Swift.

10. Mrh2008

May 25, 2012
    Mesa, AZ
    Lol, it does seem like that's what happened!
    Its not VERY bad, just not as good as it once was. It's all the little things that add up. Last week I sat for 50 hours for no reason other than personnel in Fontana not doing their job. Today, I get to deal with an over weight tcall, can't get a response from my DM to save my life. Etc.

11. Sheriff1/6

Oct 16, 2012
    Boise, ID

And there, but of the grace of God, go I..

I feel for ya. Don't give up just yet. It may just be your turn in the barrel.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.