The start of my first year with Swift.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Sheriff1/6, Jan 1, 2013.

1. the bull

the bull Bobtail Member

Nov 13, 2011
    boston mass
    it took me about a week to read this whole thread. It has been a very realistic look at what its like being a otr driver. You sound like your doing a #### good job sheriff. the rest of the semi regulars too. keep up the good work. I was a correction officer for 15 years and had had enough. got my cdl and got hired by schneider doing northeast regional. ohio and virgina and everything north. sounds to me like the big trucking companys have many of the same issues. Im surpised they let your trainer use you as a team driver while you were in training. my mentor at schneider was in the passenger seat every step of the way. never once did he go to sleep or drive while i slept. a true professional. You dont seem to be stressing as much as i did bout parking for the nite. I always wanted to drive as much as possible but not knowing where to go for the nite if the truck stops were full drove me nuts. In the end otr wasnt for me. I found myself out for how ever long and taking home a few hundred dollars. not worth missing my kids for that. Even when off duty the driver was still resposible for the truck so off duty isnt really off duty. Keep with the posts sheriff, im interested in how this works out for you. I predict you will decide the money aint worth the stress and aggravation to be away from your family. best of luck to you all. stay safe

Sheriff1/6 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mrh2008

Mrh2008 Road Train Member

May 25, 2012
    Mesa, AZ
    Here at swift, we are not responsible for the vehicle and or cargo while off duty under all of the following circumstances.

1: vehicle is parked in a safe and secure location.
    2: off duty period must be no less than 15 minutes and no longer than 15 hours.
    3: during the off duty period, your ability to safely operate your vehicle is not impaired.

this is in writing, in every company trucks permit book.

my interpretation of our off duty authorization form. Your mileage may vary.

4. MikeCammer

MikeCammer Bobtail Member

May 9, 2012
    Kooskia, Idaho
    ("I fueled up at a Love's today and it was really busy. I think I sat for 30 minutes before I got to the pumps. I want to say there were six lanes and they were all backed way up. The two lanes to my left each had one truck at the pump and one in front of it. There was another Swift driver parked off to the side. It looked to me like she was waiting to see which of the trucks was going to move first and then pull into the lane. She'd been there awhile when another driver pulled into the lane next to me. I knew there was going to be trouble when I heard the Swift driver honking the horn. I didn't catch the name on the truck the other guy was driving but, he pulled up and was waiting in his cab. The Swift driver got out and walked passed his cab towards the store. When she got a few steps in front of his truck she turned and started cursing him out for cutting in front of her. It was on after that. He got out and started cursing at her about taking up two lanes. She finally walked off. A few minutes later she came back out and I could hear them screaming at each other.

REALLY folks?? Come on, there are a lot bigger issues in this world then whether someone may or may not have been taking up two lanes, or whether you got beat out of the choice selection because you were indecisive. I was embarrassed to be in a Swift truck with the way the other driver was acting.

It seems to me that truck drivers have a very long time to sit and think about things. Even the little things can turn into big ones if you dwell on them long enough. This is one case where I think if the Swift driver had taken a few deep breathes and thought about it, she could have acted a bit differently. OR She could have tried to give him a beat down. She was about twice his size and think she could have taken him.")

Amen Sheriff! Don't get why people get so worked up over small, meaningless issues. I guess that's why I only did 6 years in LE before switching to EMS. Thank you for these posts! I am 3-months into solo driving and have experienced (trial & error) some of the same adventures that you have/are writing about. I had a WORTHLESS Mentor when I started out so, I read, ask questions and apply a lot of COMMON SENSE out here and haven't got into "much" trouble.....yet. Well...if you keep posting, I'll keep reading. Oh, I'm from the Lewiston Terminal and went through Lewiston's Academy as well. Be Safe! :)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
    str8rida Thanks this.
  5. Mrh2008

May 25, 2012
    Mesa, AZ
    Today is the first day in months that I've been sent a preplan on a second load before delivering my first. I must say, that is good. Usually, I have deliveries mid morning, and if that's the case, I don't get another preplan until that night, picking up the next evening.

How about you, Sheriff? Do they keep you stacked with loads?

Sheriff1/6 Thanks this.
  6. Sheriff1/6

Sheriff1/6 Medium Load Member

Oct 16, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Lately they have been most of the time. I was surprised when they started doing it. It didn't start until a few weeks ago and then, when I'm a few hours away from final, I get another preplan. I've also been getting short loads with a long load back. I'm trying to get on a dedicated run into Canada and hopefully things will start to level out and be more consistent.

7. Mrh2008

May 25, 2012
    Mesa, AZ
    Any idea what they pay for border crossings? I assume your CPM will jump a good bit as well. When I hit about 6 months solo, I was offered a temp position on a dedicated run in Oklahoma, offered me 34 cents + $100 bonus per week, I think I was at 28 cents back then but not sure. At the time, my 2nd son was due to be born "any time now" so I had to decline the offer.

8. Sheriff1/6

Sheriff1/6 Medium Load Member

Oct 16, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Nothing was said about a CPM bump. I think crossing pay is $25 per round trip. I have to get the details from my DM. It sounds like he will arrange to get me back to Lewiston to fill out some paperwork. I've already got my passport so it shouldn't to big of an issue.

9. MikeCammer

May 9, 2012
    Kooskia, Idaho
    ("After seeing the other two guys have such fun, and learning from my experience yesterday, I moved my tandems up. I know the tail will swing but it helps me move around a bit tighter. I swung around, got a straight back to the dock, moved the tandems back and I was ready")

Awesome! That was another lesson learned. School never seemed to touch on what a difference WHERE the tandems are when backing! I always (in school) thought it was all about WEIGHT.

Oh, Sheriff, I attempted to return your message and, after writing a small book, hit 'send' and, because I haven't posted enough on the Forum, I wasn't allowed to send you a personal message. So, here I am....posting. :-D THANKS for sharing your experiences and thoughts! I (being a newbie) am learning this stuff one day at a time. Mike

10. MikeCammer

May 9, 2012
    Kooskia, Idaho
    YES, INDEED! I don't think the "Office types" @ Swift are used to dealing with some folks who have life experience. Just my humble opinion.

11. MikeCammer

May 9, 2012
    Kooskia, Idaho
    *Getting out of the truck for some brisk walking works very well. *SOUR Candy or those Breath saver "Sours" mints are great. *I will pull into a rest area and do the brisk walking into the bathroom and wash my face with cold water which also works well for me. Some folks swear by those Monster and Rockstar energy drinks but they don't last long for me and the CRASH afterwards makes things worse. Fresh Coffee and Talk Radio also help me stay awake and alert.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.