The start of my first year with Swift.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Sheriff1/6, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Mrh2008

Mrh2008 Road Train Member

May 25, 2012
    Mesa, AZ
    I've lived in Phoenix for the last 15 years, I know about heat... But that doesn't mean I like it!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    .... yeah, ever since LeBron....

.... oh, the other heat...

4. white wolf

white wolf Light Load Member

Jul 1, 2013
    minneeessoooota
    Thats the problem with some of these companies they just throw a guy in a half ##### truck that will get flagged at the first weigh station Lets give you some good advice finish out with your contract and look for a better place to work no use putting up with the "sheep" syndrome.. Anyways take it as it is paid training and experience but dont put up with equipment that dosent come up to standerds its not only there money its yours when your sitting on the side of the road getting no miles

5. daddyhusky

daddyhusky Light Load Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I got the same warning from SWIFT when I drove for them, but the bottom line is sleep comfortable, get rest, be safe. I'm not a huge A/C guy, and I agree we need to adapt to the environment somewhat (running from Phoenix to Denver in January will test how fast you can adapt!). Personally I love my tornado fan clipped up on the vent window. Crack the front windows, feel the breeze, and the hum drowns out a lot of yard noise. In extremes I will idle. Most companies can't do much; it costs a bundle when you idle 18,000 trucks, but it costs more when someone sues you after suffering a heart attack in 100+ degree heat. Yes that has happened!

6. D.j.thelover

D.j.thelover Bobtail Member

Mar 31, 2012
    Winder,ga
    Why do you want to try and give someone a hard time. He got his license and he will learn something new everyday , just because you been trucking for a while doesnt mean you know everything. please keep your negative comments to yourself

7. Steampunk

Steampunk Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2013
    Wow... this whole thread was AMAZING to read. Thank you for sharing your experience. I am considering enrolling in a CDL school soon. I hope to find a good company to work for if I do indeed choose to go the OTR route for 6 months to a year. At least I now know of one company to disregard as an option. That's a start. Thanks again Sheriff.

8. Steampunk

Steampunk Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2013
    So... the moral of the story is? SWIFT sucks? The first 6 months of OTR trucking sucks? ALL starter (training) companies suck? Obviously, I am new on this forum, and considering a career in driving trucks. It's going to take me at least several weeks to make it through all the threads on this forum (and other research) before I make any sort of serious move (such as enrolling in a CDL school). I'm just trying to get as much insight as I can. I appreciate ALL posts on here :)

9. Mrh2008

Mrh2008 Road Train Member

May 25, 2012
    Mesa, AZ
    Basically, all OTR sucks for the first 6 months to a year or so... From what I gather.

I honestly wouldn't say that SWIFT sucks, as a whole, but there are areas that are lacking. For the first year, I didn't expect much, and they didn't disappoint much.

10. Chase05

Chase05 Medium Load Member

Jun 16, 2013
    Central NY
    There's bad experiences in good companies, and bad companies with plenty of happy drivers. In general, Swift is looked down on as a pretty lousy company. CR England, Swift and Werner are the companies you stay away from unless you have no choice really. Be prepared for low pay your first year, 30 to 35K it seems, but you can do better than that. Sherriff here made about 15K in 5 months. He had problems every other load, starting in winter (slower freight/driving). If you can get into a better company, which are listed in plenty of other threads, you'll likely do a bit better than the CRE and Swift horror stories you see on this site.

But yeah, be prepared for your first year to suck and the pay not to be amazing. Throw the big boy panties on till you can trade up.

11. MikeCammer

MikeCammer Bobtail Member

May 9, 2012
    Kooskia, Idaho
    I quit Swift on July 13th. BEST move I've made in years! I am 49 years old and have worked my entire adult life. Swift is the SKETCHIEST Company I have ever worked for. I subscribe to the life laws that you "teach others how to treat us" and "If you keep doing the same thing, over and over....you will keep getting the same results...over and over." I worked in fields where you DEPENDED on COMPETENT People at the other end of the phone/radio/qualcomm. I saw NO competency whatsoever! I worked hard.....drove however many hours it took to get a load to delivery ON-TIME (100% On-Time), No Service Failures. I knew going in....I wouldn't get paid for the TOTAL miles I drove as SWIFT ALWAYS shorts on miles! (I'll own that choice). I couldn't even make my expenses with the crappy paychecks that I recieved. I was making $.30 per mile and had full benefits so....I knew I wasn't going to bring home big paychecks but $100-$230 Net take home?? No Thanks!

I'm not trying to sway ANYONE from or against Swift and I know there will be Trolls taking issue with my post here (I could care less). I am telling you that SWIFT is sketchy and is NOT a place to work if you have any self esteem or common sense. From ME to YOU......Steer well clear of SWIFT TRANSPORTATION! I don't make up a phony screen name, I'm Mike Cammer from Kooskia, Idaho. I have a family, kids and grand-kids. PM me if you have questions or concerns. I'll give you my phone#.

If you are a Swift flag-waver and are happy there....Good for you. I hope you are happy as I wish Peace and Happiness for EVERYONE. If you want to talk crap about me of find fault with my ethics, character or work habits (When you have NEVER even met me)....knock yourself out. I could care less! I AM HAPPY and Trolls spouting ignorant cr*p don't get allowed to waste my time. GOOD LUCK & PEACE TO ALL! Mike

cementandrocks Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.