The Sygma Network

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Tackman, Dec 17, 2007.

1. risyl32

risyl32 Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Weatherford, TX
    I have not seen the numbers as of late and I am sure that they are not good. We have been told that they have been going up and that is always a good thing to hear. What you might not be aware of is that our numbers were always at the top and that they fell when the center began to grow. We went from about 40 drivers to over 90 in a very short time. That was a big reason for the drop. After the Colony center was opened we have dropped to about 75 drivers. In this industry it is extremely difficult to find someone who is willing to work like we do. With all the newer guys coming and going it makes it hard to keep the numbers up. This is more of a management issue as to how to improve training so that they can succeed at this job. It takes some getting use to but once everything "clicks" it getts easier. I have always told the guys that I have trained that the first 6 months will really test you. They just have to stick with it. As for unloading all night and driving home tired, Columbus is notorious for that but it isn't like that in Arlington. When you are assigned a route just get the phone number of the lead driver and call him to discuss how the route will be run.
    We do have our issues as any company will and I've seen some worthless guys come and go. I have also seen what I have thought were some good hands come and go, therefore it isn't for everybody. Like I have said in a previous post, this place has provided a great life for my family and I for 17 yrs and I won't be going anywhere else until I choose.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. risyl32

risyl32 Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Weatherford, TX
    I run out of the Arlington center. I know several of the guys in The Colony because the were in Arlington first. But I'm really am not sure of how things are there.

4. trcjn270

trcjn270 Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Kansas City, Mo
    You hit the nail on the head. I am a supervisor in KC and the turnover just killed your #'s. I am also the training supervisor and that is the key, training, training, training. Up front honest communication to the new guys about EVERY THING! We used to lead across the board but have sacrificed quality drivers for guys who can drive a truck. When I hired on in '06, I was #42 on the logevity list, and two years later when I came into the office I was #17. Now we have 63+ drivers and three concepts. The guys who just show up and run are always the ones who will make it in this business. But lately I have seen so many who just wanted to sit at the house and collect minimum pay and not do anything. It's really sad cause this job is only as hard as you make it. If the windows are too tight, just let us know and we'll open them up so you can run on time! But again, training and communication are key. There is no substitute for honest work and an honest deal from your supervisors.

5. USANomad

USANomad Bobtail Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Claremore, OK
    trcjn270, can you run honestly legal (drive the speed limit and log it like it really happens), and not feel 'pushed' by the delivery schedule at Sygma?

Are the supervisors really able and willing to open up the delivery window or are there pay/bonus/productivity goals that pressure the supervisors to keep the delivery windows tight?

Thanks

6. BearGator56

BearGator56 "The G stands for GOOD!"

Apr 11, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    You'll probably feel more pushed by your partner who wants to get home sooner than anything. lol

The delivery windows are easily adjustable. It's just a matter of getting with the supervisor to tweak them. If you're a fast runner or just a guy who keeps a steady pace, I was always able to set something up for you. Usually, I'd do it before you even asked since I was running the "On-Times" every day to make sure we were getting 100% reported and seeing who was outside of the windows.

As long as there aren't delivery restrictions like noise ordinances or lockout times at the store, then it should never be a problem to get times changed.

USANomad Thanks this.
  7. TruckDriver23

TruckDriver23 Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Illinois
    Funny, I registered here to see if anyone was talking about Sygma; whom I work for! Haven't been there for long and it is my first driving job. I'm at the one in Illinois. I work two days a week, well actually dispacted two days a week. Every Tuesday morning and Friday morning. I leave Tuesday morning at 1:30AM and have a total of 10 stops (same on Friday morning, same dispatch time, too). I do the first 5 then lay over at a Holiday Inn Express. Real nice hotel. Our card has a limit of $65 for a hotel that is pre programmed but you can always call in to get your card bumped up if it isn't enough. Anyway, I do the first 5. I get done around 2pm. I layover until 3am and finish the other 5.

No. It is not easy work especially when the people in the warehouse don't know how to load a freaking pallet. I am ALWAYS digging for crap and this is my BIGGEST complaint. It sucks. I'm a fast guy but when I have to dig to find the last 2 pieces it ticks me off! Then when I honestly don't think it is on the truck I write them a credit for it. Then 3 stops later I find the piece I was looking for! Then I still get hit with a 41 (goes against my accuracy bonus)

All in all, it's a decent job. You have to put up with a lot of BS but thats with any job, right? My trainers were cool as hell and taught me a lot. He drank at the hotel though but he was like "as long as I'm sober by the time I get back in the truck it is okay!". I never had a problem with it.

Lucky for me, I never had to run the extra board, neither. I got in around bid time and actually got the route I bidded on. Runs to Illinois/Wisconsin. It is going to suck as winter progresses.

I make around 1500 every two weeks.

8. BearGator56

Apr 11, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Here's a little trick for you and those "missing" cases that you're digging for: If it doesn't turn up in the mixed batch you're sorting through, grab it from another stop's pallet, and save the label. You can pull other stop's product to cover your ###, but always make sure to have that label. You could continue this process until the end of the route if it never turns up. I just don't recommend always shorting the last stop if you never find it. Switch it up so that the same customer isn't always getting short deliveries.

Why save the label? Well... If you get to that stop you "borrowed" the case from, and it's still missing, you can write it up as short, and say the label was stuck to another box. That label covers you.

Take if from a guy who always had less than 5 errors per quarter, and never missed an accuracy bonus.

9. TruckDriver23

TruckDriver23 Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Illinois
    LOL. I've done that countless times. And also have done this; You're at a stop and you're short a piece in the frozen section. I walk into the customers freezer to see if they have the miss that I am short on their shelf and to see if it is unmarked w/o any indication of date or anything. If so, I'll just grab that and put it with my load. :biggrin_25525:

Has warehouse always been a problem with Sygma? I mean sometimes I'll go out and I'll have a #### near perfect trailer but other times.... boy oh boy, it is a freaking mess!

10. BearGator56

Apr 11, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    I wouldn't recommend taking from the shelf like that. Many stores will check their order in by putting it away and then counting the pieces. They also mark the cases.

Loads are "bad" no matter where you go. The nature of mixing the batches to max out cube space is going to lead to digging. Developing an efficient way of stacking as you breakdown the pallets is the best thing to do. As soon as you have floor space, stack up your next stop so all you have to do is scoop it.

I can tell you that the #1 biggest complaint of any company where a truck has to be unloaded by the driver is the load. I've seen them good and bad. I guess I just got used to it, and didn't care unless they didn't include load bars to help brace it up.

11. dr5169

dr5169 Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2008
    chicago,il
    Beargator56 just wanted to say i enjoy reading your post!!!! Alot of experience i can see.......... i am in the chicagoland area ,just been laid off ,so i am goin to get my cdl and see if i can get on with one of the foodservice places here in chicago.(sysco,Us foodservice).doing local deliveries with a pup...i am in my early 40's but i am goin to give it a try..i need to make money..just dont want to do otr thing being gone for 3 or 4 weeks at a time...keep up the good post...!!!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.