The Truckers’ Report flatbed Hall of Shame.

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by MACK E-6, Dec 11, 2017.

1. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Do u guys trust those chain pop ups ? I have those all down my trailer. Never used em. Different trailer, i had one break on me. Ever since then , i dont touch em

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 650cat425

650cat425 Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2020
    Pennsyltucky
    Hauled many, many coils using chain pop ups and never had an issue. With a hidekit, I mean sidekit, there's not much choice but to use what is in or on the floor. Honestly, I had much more faith in those than I do the j hooks in my reitenour, but the j's are infinitely better for having a tie down right where you need it. Catch 22 I guess.

4. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Just a bit of a securement test. I was being vague on purpose. Wheeled vehicles over 10,000 lbs must use direct securement. Meaning from vehicle to trailer. This guy had used indirect like strapping down pallets. I imagine that was why he was getting the rocking from the truck before. Hopefully he stopped the rocking with the new securement. I couldn't find an air dump on the HEMTT anyway.

D.Tibbitt, jamespmack and Tug Toy Thank this.
  5. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    That load wasn’t secured correctly but nothing in the regulations say 10k vehicles must use direct securement.
    393.130 What are the rules for securing heavy vehicles, equipment and machinery?
    (a) Applicability. The rules in this section apply to the transportation of heavy vehicles, equipment and machinery which operate on wheels or tracks, such as front end loaders, bulldozers, tractors, and power shovels and which individually weigh 4,536 kg (10,000 lb.) or more. Vehicles, equipment and machinery which is lighter than 4,536 kg (10,000 lb.) may also be secured in accordance with the provisions of this section, with §393.128, or in accordance with the provisions of §§393.100 through 393.114.

(b) Preparation of equipment being transported.(1) Accessory equipment, such as hydraulic shovels, must be completely lowered and secured to the vehicle.

(2) Articulated vehicles shall be restrained in a manner that prevents articulation while in transit.

(c) Securement of heavy vehicles, equipment or machinery with crawler tracks or wheels. (1) In addition to the requirements of paragraph (b) of this section, heavy equipment or machinery with crawler tracks or wheels must be restrained against movement in the lateral, forward, rearward, and vertical direction using a minimum of four tiedowns.

(2) Each of the tiedowns must be affixed as close as practicable to the front and rear of the vehicle, or mounting points on the vehicle that have been specifically designed for that purpose.

One could even argue that the load was even secured legally.

cke, 650cat425, PoleCrusher and 5 others Thank this.
  6. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    I can't find the rule. I swear it was there, but I guess I was wrong.

cke, 650cat425, D.Tibbitt and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    I suppose that the side to side securement cannot be properly done with indirect going over from one side to the other as it's possible to slide or shimmy within the securement. Can't say exactly where I read direct securement. Though I can't say I've ever seen an excavator with a chain over the tracks from one side to the other.

cke, 650cat425, tommymonza and 4 others Thank this.
  8. randomname

randomname Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2014
    In paragraph c above it mentions vehicles with crawler tracks , in addition to the vehicles mentioned previously, requiring 4 binders. So does that mean a 6k mini excavator needs 4 binders??

9. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    I think it's 10k and up. Under 10k can be secured the same way but not required.

cke, 650cat425 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  10. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

Use them everyday. Once in awhile break a bolt in the mount to I beam. But thats a corrosion issue I'm having on my old trailer. I have never had on fail entirely. Hardest thing on them are careless forklift drivers.

Lostkeys, cke, 650cat425 and 4 others Thank this.
  11. shawnhhllc

shawnhhllc Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2020
    florida
    I’ve seen fellas use straps on the front and back of the rubber tracks. I thought to myself they are just asking for trouble. So I inquired “said fella told me it was legal in the states he was traveling”. Our company policy is four points of contact on mini x. So I’ve always used four chains. Yeah you run out of room real quick when there’s five on the deck. This is one of the few times I’ll use J-hooks.

cke, 650cat425, randomname and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.