The Truckers’ Report flatbed Hall of Shame.

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by MACK E-6, Dec 11, 2017.

1. RedRover

RedRover Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    I had thick canvas tarps I could have used. I also could have thrown some straps over the tarps and then untarped it around the corner and took it where it’s going. They crush coal, which is literally dead bugs, and they use water to keep the dust from exploding lol

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I've seen you mention felt before. Seems like a good idea, folds or rolls up smaller than moving blankets, much smaller than carpet.

How does it hold up to really sharp stuff, like the corners on decking, let's say? I had a load recently of these insulated metal panels, basically it was an insulation load with sheet metal corners poking out all over the place. Stuff like that tends to poke through a lot of types of padding, but I don't really carry enough carpet to cover that much stuff.

Tug Toy and RedRover Thank this.
  4. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I had a similar load as @RedRover. My padding proved inadequate. I patched the tarp afterward with that super strong tape that plugs any leak as advertised on TV.

My next tarp load I prepared by purchasing a roll of flooring padding. I wasn't satisfied. Exactly what kind of felt are you using? Can you tape it into place or to form shapes?

Edited to add: I'm a tarping newbie. Six tarped loads in three years, but it may become a trend as one of our good customers is now requiring tarps.

Oxbow, BigBob410 and RedRover Thank this.
  5. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Here's Central Oregon Trucking parked across 3 spots. Every man for himself!!!

20180616_201433.jpg

Tug Toy, BigBob410 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  6. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    But hey, there weren't any lines!

Is that the Grand Canyon behind that line of trucks?

Tug Toy, BigBob410, RedRover and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I wouldn't wanna try and go down in it. Probably get high centered.

Tug Toy and Lepton1 Thank this.
  8. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    In over five years nothing has punctured it yet.

I haven't tried taping it, but i put grommets every few feet along the edges so i can use bunjees to hold it tight over the product. Havent had a grommet pull out while stretching a bunjee down to the trailer so its pretty tough stuff.

The stuff i got is about 1/4 inch thick, in 12x15 sheets. Tri city canvas sells it, but they are stupid high. I got it from mercers company store inn Louisville, they used to sell to anyone but if that's changed i will get some and ship to ya at cost or meet up with ya somewhere. I paid 25$ a sheet, i have heard tri city canvas sells that same sheet for something stupid like 75 bucks.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    BigBob410, stwik, taodnt and 1 other person Thank this.
  9. INRUT

INRUT Medium Load Member

Aug 21, 2016
    The wind beat your tarps to hell, you said it & that’s what tore your tarps. Padding definitely would of helped, but bungees tied to upper d-rings & pulled tied will eliminate flopping of tarps. I’ve tarped a lot of loads like that & worse. Felt padding, large pieces of scrap tarps, lots of bungees. Also good to know what kind of weather your heading into, if your crossing WY, spend extra time making sure it’s tight.

DieselDisciple, Oxbow, Tug Toy and 2 others Thank this.
  10. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Putting a small strap with a handratchet from above the metal piece over the tip down to the side off the trailer would also have helped.
    Back when i ran flatbed,there were times i put small straps lenghtways over a machine after i secured it.
    It is not a fixit all,you cannot do that allways.
    It is extra ammo in your arsenal to be used when the situation occurs.

With parts sticking out as much as Redrover's load,rope is your best friend.

RedRover and Lepton1 Thank this.
  11. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Old tarps cut to around 120" wide (lenghtways you cut then as long or as short as you feel comforteble) are also cheap and good padding.
    And you can reuse them countless times.
    No need to secure them,just put them over the load.
    Quick and easy.

Tug Toy, Lepton1 and LoneCowboy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.