The truth about May??

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by RowdyRigg, Aug 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RowdyRigg

RowdyRigg Bobtail Member

Aug 10, 2008
    AZ
    I'm thinking about switching companies from (I'm almost embarrassed to say) Werner, to May. I'm only planning on driving for 2 years to get enough experience to drive for, and eventually take over, my Dad's small trucking company. All I've read about May is decent, aside from the stuff that seems to be unavoidable in the industry, like some down time, breakdowns, stuff that happens everywhere. But I really want to know the truth from someone who drives, or has driven for May; if I want to hear the good stuff, I'll call May. Thanks for your help!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bigblue19

bigblue19 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA
    OK I drove for them a little over six months last year.

Nice people, ok pay and miles if you are not prone to logging as it happens. Make their job easy and they will roll you. Mention hours of service, I don't chain, or I can't etc.. and watch your miles drop off while they give loads to drivers who can.

60-62mph trucks most likely a Pete 387 13speed with the engine parameters cut back so you will crawl up hills.

High cube trailers with spring suspension and no e or d tracks to use straps on. Many trailers 10+ years old with bent up mud flap hangers, light broken rotted tires bent landing gear handles and tandems that off track and are a ##### to slide if you can get the rusted and bent pins to retract.

Lots of short runs and multiple stop loads and late night delivery's to detention prone grocery whses.

Little if any night or weekend support so preplns and taking care of business during the day is a must.

Breakdown and you might be sitting for a while because the company does not like to pay for things not covered by warranties or use road service after hours.

This is a smaller private outfit. Keep your Idle down and throw your logbook in the bunk and don't look at that ancient trailer in your mirrors and you will do fine. Act like a lazy newbie just out of school and you will be on the B team faster then you can say "I'm starving".

They usually expect you to stay out 10-14 days with 2 days off and run tours within 1000 miles of your home terminal.

Dry side is 11 western and refer is 48. Don't like to chain then do refer and stay east in the winter.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
    cpassey Thanks this.
  4. Papa Bob

Papa Bob Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Princeton, Idaho
    I drove for May for awhile, some good people, some not. Opal is great. They have changed a few things since I was with them, like pay and hiring area. Anybody got a grip on the hiring areas now? Overall, a good company to get experience. Good luck to all.

5. bowhunter3125

bowhunter3125 Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2008
    klamath falls Or
    Listen, i aint looking to start nothing with ya, but i have no idea where you drove for May, i used ta pull into the Pilot at the 263 directly across from Mays yard in Brooks Oregon, i never once saw an old trailer like you described, infact even out on the road i never saw a trailer like that. I will be starting for May on the 20th of October.

6. jedi_tev

jedi_tev Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    Hey, Bowhunter, keep in touch with me will ya? I'm thinking about going with them too, and i will start about 4 weeks after you. (Schools 3 weeks) Let me know how it goes.

7. bowhunter3125

Oct 15, 2008
    klamath falls Or
    no problem, i will start my orientation on monday then hopefully be jumping into a truck right a way, i have allready been asked about being a trainer with them becuase of my experiance but not sure if i will.

8. bigblue19

bigblue19 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA
    Listen, i aint looking to start nothing with ya, but i have no idea where you drove for May, i used ta pull into the Pilot at the 263 directly across from Mays yard in Brooks Oregon, i never once saw an old trailer like you described, infact even out on the road i never saw a trailer like that. I will be starting for May on the 20th of October.

You never saw a trailer like that from across the street at the pilot? :biggrin_2551:

Man you must have good eyesight to be able to do a pretrip from that distance. I worked out of the terminal at Brooks my friend and my experience with their trailers was certainly not limited to looking at them from across the street.

Tell you what, go work for them and when you are under that trailer they assign you and you are blowing out a disc in your lower back trying to get that trailer at 40' for CA or trying to bend that mud flap so it is not rubbing the tire, you can think back to how pretty the trailers looked from across the street at the Pilot.

I will however say that they have bought some new trailers but they don't stay new for long and when you spend a night at the Fontana yd or Auburn yd,you will see why.

9. bowhunter3125

Oct 15, 2008
    klamath falls Or
    i have been up close to many of there trailers, at other truck stops and rest stops, infact i just talked to a may driver yesterday at a local truck stop, his trailer looked nothing like what you say they do, i admit trailers get dinged up, but no way does any weigh master let a trailer like you have described stay on the road for very long. you have yer opinion, i have mine, but you have allready showed yer not to fond of may.

10. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Having just spent some time working for May, the only thing I agree with him on is the after hours support. Preplanning before the weekend or before your DM goes home is a very good idea.

As for the rest, in my personal experience, it's.. less than accurate

11. bowhunter3125

Oct 15, 2008
    klamath falls Or
    yeah learch, i passed 5 may trucks on I-5 today and not a one of them had bent up mud flaps and there were no messed up doors or sides. they looked good to me.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.