The very best owner operator carrier, 90% pay!

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by freightwipper, Jan 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luis1090

luis1090 Bobtail Member

Jun 12, 2018
    hello, this sounds amazing. the only question i have is Whats this company called ??? i need to call them and see if i can lease my truck on to them too. thanks for your reply.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brub1155

brub1155 Light Load Member

Aug 24, 2018
    NY
    Hello I am new here and new to Trucking. That sounds great. I am just getting started and have 2 trucks that I would like to put drivers in under someone else authority. Sounds like you have going exactly what I am trying for. I would like to get some more info if you do not mind sharing on how or what you think is the best way to set up drivers in your trucks. cpm/percentage/insurance/W2vs1099...what you cover and what they are responsible for.
    About my situation: I am 27 and new to Trucking I received my CDL in Nov 2016 and Currently have 10months of actual otr experience (and military experience driving class A type vehicles but no company excepts that.) I worked Dry van for US Xpress and Roehl and now just started Swift as it better suits what I was looking for atm. I live in Upstate NY. Since coming into trucking I have been studying the business and learned tons in the 10 months from driving a lot from other drivers, I know there is a lot of money in freight transportation as well as a lot of expenses and hard work.

Anyways I go through banks where I live at and buy repoed cars and I happend to find 2 trucks in a matter of the last 3 months a 2013 International prostar and a 2014 Freightliner both with around 500k miles. I negotiated and bought both of them outright cash and had a friend who works at International look them over I have put a little extra money in them but they are both good trucks and pass inspection no problems.

So now I have 2 trucks just sitting, I am not ready to try to get my own authority and insurance for me to drive is crazy because of lack of experience. I also looked at Prime's advanced fleet program where I would still have to get my authority but run under their freight network as well as talking to the owner of Wil-Trans who does that who advised just starting out I should look into being under someone else authority. So I have been looking at going under someone else s authority, but no one will let me drive because their insurance won't cover me again the experience thing, unless I went somewhere like swift which only requires 6months but it sounds like a complete rip off, their cpm being around 1.04 a mile and .86 empty or the percentage which they take 35percent and dispatch your loads. Basically the recruiter told me I could expect about $1500 net a week and that's because I don't have a truck payment, which sounds like #### to me, as I make about $1000 net a week now there as a company driver with the walmart account.

I know there is a lot more money and better ways to utilize these trucks to their earning potential. So basically I have been looking at companies that are the same as what MAG sounds like, particularly one called RAFA TRANS out of Illinois which I would get 88 percent of gross load, they advertise drivers make 9-15k monthly take home pay and that their goal is for the truck to be grossing 1k a day, I have talked to the owner and they seem legit. and again they can't get me approved to drive but I am now just looking at putting drivers in the trucks. After doing all my numbers and also working loosely with the SBA after accounting for all expenses including a maitenance account and money aside for the actual value of the trucks not what I paid I came to I should be able to make anywhere from $1000-1400 weekly based off setting up a driver to receive 27percent of the 88percent that I receive with me taking care of truck expenses, fuel, maintenance etc.... but with them set as an IC(1099). RAFA TRANS has told me that is fine for me to find drivers as long as they have the time requirements and a good driving record, and said I should be able to make anywhere from 35K-50K a year off each truck. I know there are lots of variables that influence these numbers, maintenance, fuel, if a driver wants to take time off or emergencies...etc

My goal is to own 3 more trucks for a total of 5, I know in NY I have to set up an LLC for this and I will hire an accountant and lawyer to check over everything before putting drivers in the trucks, but as of right now my trucks are lawn ornaments. Any advice from people that own their own truck or small fleets that are doing the same thing and have the same scenario PLEASE I would like to talk to you and learn any knowledge you have to offer on what I may be missing and how the best way to pay drivers in this situation whether it be a cpm or percentage....etc.

Thanks in Advance, and please do not condem me about "you shouldn't have bought trucks without have 5 years experience or what not I got them for a great price that even if I flipped them I could make 20k but I know they are more valuable with the wheels turning. Also again I am new in this industry but always looking at business sides of industries. And I do have a little business experience owning a Taxi company which I had 10 drivers, it was short lived because I was so anxious in getting started I overlooked things and was to friendly to my drivers and hired friends, but at the end it was a learning experience. It cost me a lot but I learned alot.. THANK YOU AGAIN FOR ANY ADVICE!

4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    You won't want to hear this, but flip the trucks, take the easy 20k, buy more and flip them. Much more money made in the end, much less expense and headaches. If you thought the taxi business was stressful and you had trouble with drivers, just wait until you deal with truck drivers that are spread out all over the country. Been there, done that.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    Reason for edit: spelling
    brub1155 and jsnell Thank this.
  6. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    I don’t think its that kind of death.
    Think some of the choices have driven him into the ground.

Then I could be wrong.

7. SingingWolf

SingingWolf Heavy Load Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Steubenville, OH
    No. No. He does mean medical death.

redoctober83, Sipesh and CaptainDaveG Thank this.
  8. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    He was/is in the hospital.

9. CaptainDaveG

CaptainDaveG Road Train Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    Folks I will reach out to FW tomorrow. Myself and another want to go visit him. I know a lot of you like to bash. But I think I’m pretty credible on here. I know Lance. I miss talking with him. Yep he’s ####y and rolled the dice. No doubt.

If he tells me it’s near the end I believe him. He has never lied to me. Period

Be Safe Out There

Captain Dave

tucker, OnTheEdge, ChicagoJohn and 3 others Thank this.
  10. djbattle

djbattle Light Load Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Who is the company

11. Bumper

Bumper Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    Any update?

12. Gsm

Gsm Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2018
    would love to be o/o. the only thing holding me back is my lack of mechinacal abilities... can not turn wrench..... i have plenty years driving, and i have enough money to but a new truck..... what u think

13. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Have you ever ran a profitable business before? If not why do you think you will magically have the knowledge to run one now? Driving a truck is easy. Running a profitable business takes knowledge experience and education.

At the bare minimum i would suggest a person get the equivalent of a 2 year degree in business management.

redoctober83 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.