The very best owner operator carrier, 90% pay!

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by freightwipper, Jan 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chimbotano

chimbotano Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Look, I use truck stop and DAT and I pay for the cheapest package .
    I don’t go by the rates posted on those load boards . I wait till about noon to check it out and if I see a rute that I like , I call them and I offer my rate for my service and if they don’t like it , I don’t provide my service . It is very simple . If they don’t find a truck , they will Call me back and I’ll do it for my rate .
    However , it is risky what I do . But I’m willing to wait and sacrifice and be available at any day and at any time .
    no to many O/O can do what I do . I feel that if all of us take pride for our profession , brokers / shippers will understand that they can’t be screwing us like we are ignorantes who don’t have any idea how to managed our business.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. chimbotano

Apr 21, 2013
    The system is built to #### with the little guys . Brokers and load boards can do anything and put out their rules of the games and we , the o/o can’t do nothing about that , other than stand up and ask for the rate that is decent and fair .

4. thaistick

thaistick Road Train Member

Dec 7, 2014
    OTR/Thailand
    So, Landstar, Mercer, and MAG Carriers didn't work out for you and now you're considering JB Hunt???

mwhjr1988, 062 and RStewart Thank this.
  5. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    The brokers want to talk to the person taking their load therefore they make you call to get the info on it. That's fine if it doesn't work for you. Schneider and JB both have load board where you don't have to talk to anyone. JB's rates are just as bad and usually worse than DAT and Truckstop. I bid on a lot of JB loads but I hardly ever haul one. They want it moved for next to nothing and they don't like my rates. Schneider's rates are doing well right now from what I hear from my buddies that pull there.

It's called free Enterprise, the ability to run your business as you see fit. Don't mess with it.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  6. Jatlyons

Jatlyons Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Its called controlling the market which in some cases can be illegal. And yeah you should have to call if you are a random outside driver. But calling 20 people before you find one in the range you are looking for is retarded and frankly if you dont see that as a huge waste of your time you are undervalueing yourself

I burnt a bridge with Landstar after being treated like #### for over 2 years. I got bullied and blackmailed out of thousands over the coarse of those 2 years and had thousands of dollars that I had already been paid that I would leave on a fuel card frozen at one point. Finally the level of stupidity got to a boiling point when they cost me a dedicated run over paperwork they believedd to be legally necessary and were unwilling to accept that it was not until their ignorance caused enough inconvenience and a really pissed off customer. I renewed my physical a day bedore it expired. Alabama takes up to 10 days to put it in their online system. During that time you can legally continue to drive as long as you carry your long form. Landstar threatened my lease if I kept operating while I was booked on several loads for a new dedicated route. They refused to call the customer or broker to explain that their policy was screwing them over, (it did not come up that I would be fired until an hour before pickup,) and left it up to me to fix things and look like the bad guy again.

The person that got the Landstar traier a month later when I told them I was going to start billing them if they did not come get it told.me they actually had a similar situation within the last couple of weeks and it was no problem that they renewed that late, apparently Landstar can learn. And yes they were still the best money I've made.

I loved MAG I just did not have patience to use Truckstop and MAG dispatchers thought 1.40 was ok and 1.70 was great, before they took their 10%. You could let them dispatch you or get your own loads.

I went to Mercer because they were supposed to be like Landstar without the bull. They're rates suck, most of the problems they claim to have fixed by not being Landstar are still there, but not as bad. Ultimately they just don't have the freight, they're a smaller company. (They have a lot of freight posted that's not available, they have multiple agents posting the same unavailable loads, they have no load alerts just a coordinator that is supposed to tell you when loads come available that meet your criteria but mine would not set my criteria so I never heard from him. They also do not have as many discounts and paying for a trailer sucks when there's nothing to do with it.)

I mentioned JB Hunt only because I've hauled a lot of they're freight regardless of who I've driven for. When I looked into them in the past I was not impressed, but I do like they're straight forward app for outside carriers better than most. I'm just tired of middle men. I know if you go to Robinson, one I saw a lot at Landstar, you do not have access the to all of their freight, only the portion that your assigned coordinator can see. I'm going on a dedicated at XPO soon, but if that goes I likely will too since their rates are typical horrible mileage rather than % for they're own guys even though I've made decent money pulling they're freight as an outside carrier, go figure.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  7. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    No sir, they should have the ability to run their business as they see fit. They're not controlling the market, drivers agreeing to the cheap freight are. But I don't care what a driver hauls for because their costs may be different from mine. Brokers always tell me, "we've already moved 2 loads for that rate so that's what this load will go for". That's irrelevant info to me because I have no idea what those other driver's costs are but what I do know is mine and if the load doesn't work for me then I don't haul it. I have no problem putting my truck in the wind empty instead of hauling for fuel money.

I wsh the brokers would put all the load info on the load screens but it's not gonna happen. It's also out of my control so it's not something that gets a second of my attention.

subseaguru Thanks this.
  8. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    I believe there are a few reasons rates are not always posted

some don’t want to pay a premium rate if the guy who calls is not worth it so some wait to see what company is calling
    Some I call that I’ve done business with in the past know as soon as they know it’s me that I’m going to need a higher rate and they pay it because they know us

some are just cheap and obviously there are guys taking it or it would never post or move

some loads have multiple brokers chasing it and they might not want their competitors knowing about what they have bid it at

when I’m out west the rates are usually low, I was going to DH out of the area and I washed asked why? At least get something for fuel and that that’s all the better the rates were
    I said it’s that thinking that keeps the rates down
    If we all DH out then the rates would go up but if we keep grabbing the “ something is better than nothing “ load then we as drivers keep the rates down

It is drivers. Not brokers who dictate rates

chimbotano Thanks this.
  9. chimbotano

Apr 21, 2013
    Yep. I know guys who have few trucks and , in order to keep their drivers , they get unbelievably cheap loads..
    Those guys are resolving their problems, but what they don’t understand is that they are screwing everyone else and they are fng this industry in the long run.

GYPSY65 Thanks this.
  10. Hegemeister

Hegemeister Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    It's not drivers determining rates.
    It is supply and demand ( truck quantity vs load quantity) in a given region at the time. It's that simple.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  11. Jatlyons

Jatlyons Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2017

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.