The white knights of the road

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by JIMROY, Mar 11, 2013.

1. .honeybadger.

.honeybadger. Road Train Member

Sep 30, 2012
    FL
    Ive been pleased to encounter many wonferful helpful drivers out here. One night I spent EIGHT HOURS stuck at Anheuser Busch with a trailer I couldnt get weight legal because the tandems wouldnt slide. I had not one, but FIVE drivers stop by to ask if they could help me out. The first driver who helped tried everything: chocks, a hammer, lubing the slide rails. In the end it took two different road assist units coming out and it was later established the rails were bent and bowed and you could see gouges in the metal where I had been trying to force it to slide. But it was nice knowing there were so many people willing to lend a hand. Other times Ive just straight up admitted to being a rookie having a really rough day and they had no problem spotting me backing in somewhere. I truly appreciate others who treat it as a brotherhood and fully believe in extending at attitude all around.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

Helping out other drivers be a NEWBIE or a LONG TIMER is 1 thing and not a problem.

But the TRUE White Knights of long ago where known for HELPING out stranded motorists , today is it worth it ? with the FRENZY of LAWSUITS for fast $ or that 911 call because they had just watched a movie where TRUCKERS kidnapped people they stopped to help.

Dark_Majesty_06 Thanks this.
  4. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    It is always hard to decide nowdays if it is safe for anyone to lend a hand; we have in times past given rides to stranded people too. Having "White Knights" sounds good as long as you didn't have to worry about the criminals out there which seem to be multiplying. One of the criminals that had kidnapped a women after picking her up at a t/s was caught here in Montgomery, AL a few years ago; how many other women had he killed in the past; thankgoodness she was able to attract attention and be freed. Truckers can be the eyes on the road if nothing more than being able to call 911 as needed and there have been so many reported doing good deeds even on TTR and CDL life. Too bad you couldn't get decals to promote the idea.

5. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
    Can it just be Knights, or Knights of the Road?

I don't like the ancient white term. Even if it really just the symbolism of white being good and black being evil.

I do like the thought of lancing some bad guys though...

Mikeeee

double yellow Thanks this.
  6. AZS

AZS Honk if anything falls off

Sep 30, 2010
    PHX, AZ
    everyone has cell phones these days, they don't need my help. As far as being courteous to other drivers, I do that and it's rarely acknowledged by other drivers, never by 4 wheelers. I'll keep doing it because that's who I am but there is no recognition whatsoever.

7. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL

'cept here!

Good Job!

Mikeeee

AZS Thanks this.
  8. AZS

AZS Honk if anything falls off

Sep 30, 2010
    PHX, AZ
    lol yup except here. Thank you.

9. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    After four years with Schneider and struggling with literally dozens of tandems during that time, I will always offer help in that regard because I feel their pain!

I'm in no way perfect or even remotely close, but I try....and there are things I will always do, and things I will never do.

10. ladywrongway03

ladywrongway03 Heavy Load Member

Aug 28, 2008
    trotwood oh
    I will always be a nice person.I was raised by parents who told me often,what you do during the day will decide how you sleep at night.

11. starsonwindow

starsonwindow Medium Load Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I think this is an awesome thing but it isn't just starting out there are many of us who stop every chance we get. I have been running the Highways and By-ways most my adult life, in my former profession I was more local in a pick up truck rather then a 80000 pound beast that will kick your tail if you don't do it right, but I have been late for appointments to stop and help, I remember a few years ago right in Phx. there was a Trooper stopped with a Dodge van and either the woman who owned the van nor the trooper knew where the spare tire was, I as an owner of a mini van(not a Dodge) I stopped walked back a piece and showed them where the spare was(just inside the passengers rear door under the vehicle there is a nut to lower the tire from inside)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.