There should be a law... rates on load boards

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by windsmith, May 28, 2012.

1. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    It's none of your business what they make on the freight the same as it's none of your business what your neighbor makes. Been beat to death but no-one makes you accept a load. It's all on you. What's crazy is some owners think brokers don't do anything and deserve very little in cut If that's the case then go see how easy and inexpensive drumming your own sales is. If you don't have the people skills necessary to negotiate, or can't seem to figure out what is always cheap and what has money behind it, you really ought to let someone else hold your hand instead of blaming brokers. The problem is you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SnookiSnackhouse

SnookiSnackhouse Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Concrete, WA
    - You are so accurate: You will never get what you don't ask for, and I was in a metal building that felt like a big box full of small minds some times. I've never traveled anywhere as a freight broker. I had previously been in the travel industry which is a bit similar in that you're selling empty space on something....but I never traveled any further than this metal box of sadness and low wages every day, LOL! I didn't own the place and haven't seen a penny in commission in over 3 years due to the recession. I was making a living, but not a life. Thankfully, I have a husband who works and has a good job, or I'd be out on my bum without the job I no longer have or want.

4. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    See there, here is another broker loving, there looking out for me truck driver.

5. sjmay

sjmay Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Why wouldnt you be looking out for your self, you know what rate you need to move a load, the broker doesnt, ask for it, if you are close, negotiate, if you get it, move it, if you dont and they wont move off of their price, move on, why is this so hard

6. BoyWander

BoyWander Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Michigan
    The reason for all this is that brokers typically work out of a specified area - they know where their customers are and know well the market rates for that area in and out. They are much better at being able to figure out what a load will move for in that area, and they have the upper hand in this.

Carriers, especially independents, are less likely to know going rates in and out of certain areas, certain customers, etc. The broker knows it's government freight, and they pay more, but the carrier doesn't, it's just another load.

The successful trucker would be better than his competition at knowing how much he can negotiate up on a broker, rather than tucking his tail between his legs and saying "yes your Majesty, I'll graciously take your 700 mile load for $700."

7. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    I like this answer.

8. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    That's right, because I'm not the one making excuses and crying about cheap freight or hauling loads for fuel money. Every load I haul turns a nice profit. Some have 50% or worse deadhead.

Some of you drivers live in fantasy land. You do understand brokers are up against the same free market pressures drivers are?

Jfaulk99 Thanks this.
  9. sjmay

sjmay Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2011
    No, see...you are doing it wrong...

The brokers are the only thing wrong in the industry, they are evil incarnate and only serve as a plague to real and fake truckers alike....

10. Ukumfe

Ukumfe Medium Load Member

Oct 23, 2008

Everyone goes out shopping like that. Do you know what it costs any manufacturer to produce the products they offer? Do you then know what it costs any retailer to provide those goods to you for purchase?

I am also curious as to when enough is enough would be for you. Would only the broker have to fully disclose what he is getting or would you in turn have to fully disclose what it costs you and what profits you would be making then? Why stop there as well? Why not make the pitcher fully disclose to the batter what pitches he will throwing and in what order? Why not have the offense and defense trade play books and let everyone know what they will be doing and when? I mean you could do better for yourself if you knew what the broker was getting right? That's why you want full disclosure right? Why not have it the same way for your favorite teams? Maybe they would win more.

Jfaulk99 Thanks this.
  11. SnookiSnackhouse

SnookiSnackhouse Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Concrete, WA
    A lot of good points being made, and glad to now see the upside of having been canned: I'm no longer evil incarnate, LOL!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.