THERMO KING Tri-Pak APU

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by TLGken, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Kansas

Kansas Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2009
    aircap, Ks.
    What down time? Why would a TriPac cost anybody down time? You don't need an APU to roll down the road making money. My TriPac goes into the shop when im at home.

My TriPac has been in the shop twice. Once for an AC problem, as the dryer had rubbed a hole in itself and leaked out all the freon. Second problem was for a hard start issue, and a fried inverter. Mechanic increased the idle speed (it starts much easier now) and swapped in a new inverter.

Other than that its been totally trouble free. I use it daily, and consider it to be one of the best purchases I have made...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 3rd Gen Driver

3rd Gen Driver Light Load Member

Jun 6, 2010
    SC
    Not everyone's home geography allows this convenience. Lucky for you I guess.
    Not my concern either way. I do know that PERCENTAGE wise, reguardless of brand, APU's tend not to be cost effective for owner ops. IE...all the horror stories I've read here, and incounters w/ owners of these units. I think for the money y'all spend on these contraptions they should be a little more trouble free. That's all.....

4. Winkjr

Winkjr Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Marlton NJ
    I'm with the other drivers it's junk. I got hired with the my company in aug 2010 Ryder put a brand new tripac on and I had it in the shop 6 times. About 4 times for a wire near the alternator and 2 times for the alternator bracket. They just replaced the bracket and now the #### thing squeals so bad I'd rather idle and I think the dude who parks next to me would rather I idle too.

5. 3rd Gen Driver

Jun 6, 2010
    SC
    Aaaawwwww
    Another satisfied customer

6. Hardlyevr

Hardlyevr Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Mapleton Depot,PA
    I have had all sorts of problems with my TriPac over the past 5 years. 7 Alternators worth, plus other minor aggrevations. But it has never cost me a load or revenue. Repair costs yes, but balancing them against the 10,000 hours on it, which would have taken way more than that many engine hours if I did not have it, it is still well worth it.

7. 3rd Gen Driver

Jun 6, 2010
    SC
    How much of this was covered under warranty?

8. Hardlyevr

Hardlyevr Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Mapleton Depot,PA
    A good portion, the extended warranty was well worth the expense.

But arguing with a shop when the say that an alternator that provides electricity on something that is basically a generator is not considered a "major" component, was not fun.

9. 3rd Gen Driver

Jun 6, 2010
    SC
    Id think not.
    I thought about getting an APU so I researched it and found a "more problems
    than its worth" response. After initial cost, repairs, "possible" down time, and fuel, I think
    idleing sounds like less of a headache. I'm looking into building my own actually. Can't go
    wrong with a Honda Gen.

10. sbaumann14

sbaumann14 Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Rhinelander, WI
    I've got a Honda generator up under my passenger side fairing (on a Volvo 780) and a portable air conditioner for the summer in my passenger seat with a battery tender for the batts and an Espar (used I picked up for $150) with an extra battery I use for near zero idleing. The truck is set up for shore power, so I have 120 outlets all thru the truck. Total cost was under $2500. Gen runs for 10-12 hrs between refills and no noise. Gen is vented out thru add on exhaust port out the stack. Working on adding extra fuel tank this spring.

3rd Gen Driver Thanks this.
  11. rogueunh

rogueunh Road Train Member

Jan 4, 2011
    I recently bought a Volvo with 120 outlets inside. It has a connection for cabin power on the outside next to the block heater, but at the end of the wire is just a disconnected pigtail. Can't seem to find where this connects to send power to the 120 outlets, any ideas?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.