THERMO KING Tri-Pak APU

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by TLGken, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Hardlyevr

Hardlyevr Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Mapleton Depot,PA
    If it had an apu, it might be routed to over in the passenger side box, which is where they usually put the inverters to connect to the Volvo 120 system. If nothing there, then try back tracking from the forward wall of the driver's side box, where the breaker is for the system.

rogueunh Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Bobtail Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Tn
    Ok I got it to start, but the bunk warmer is DOA and the A/C dont blow cold. I can fix the A/C myself if I can find a teck manual, anyone know where I can get one? I will need the A/C by spring. As far as the bunk heater goes it prolly needs an ignitor. I will have to look into a replacment for it ASAP! Any ideas on what to look for as a simple issue with it? Want to try to fix it before I spend the $$$ on a replacment one.

4. Kansas

Kansas Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2009
    aircap, Ks.
    Drivers side storage box area my Volvo has a junction box for 120 power.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plug exiting straight out the bottom goes to the external mounted shore power plug on exterior of truck. Plug exiting left goes straight up, I assume its goes behind the headliner to feed the 120v on the passenger side tv/microwave/closet area. The green ground wire gets pigtailed into the white ground chassis wires.

The big fat yellow cable you see is an extension cord I altered/hard wired that feeds inverter power back into the junction box.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
    rogueunh Thanks this.
  5. jardel

jardel Light Load Member

Mar 8, 2009
    BUFORD,GA
    that's the braker for the inverter wich is next to the betteries is a water proof inverter.you have a swich above your head when you sit in driver seat that's on/off swich .you can get all the parts from volvo only and their are the only one to work on them.good luck buddy.

6. rogueunh

rogueunh Road Train Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Thanks for the responses guys. I will investigate further. From the looks of it, previous owner had an APU and disconnected it.

7. Hardlyevr

Hardlyevr Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Mapleton Depot,PA
    The bunk warmers have a fuel screen and ingnitor that need to be replaced at least every other year. If they have been in 2 or more years they are a bear to get out. ThermoKing will sell you the parts and with it comes a small instruction sheet. It might help if you have something like a O-ring puller tool, or bent tip ice pick to get it out.

8. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Bobtail Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Tn
    Thx, that was the problem. The mrch at the Co shop hooked me up with the parts and even put em in for me. It's good to have a good repore with the guys in your home terminal lok. Now I just need to get the a/c compressor replaced and should be in good shape.

9. mike sp.

mike sp. Bobtail Member

Sep 16, 2012
    You will love it once you get use to it I was looking for a forage got one at wal-mart for 80 dollars 2.7 qb.ft works good in my Peter belt I took the top of the shelf off that is behind passer seat.tri-pack runs 110 volts all the time can;t see spending $ 400-$500 A.C-D.C for a forage

10. Moneymike

Moneymike Light Load Member

Apr 17, 2013
    I bought my TK apu new. The alternator went bad after 4 yrs. i took it to a shop that rebuild electrical motors and such and had it redone. Then i had a fuel line rub against the frame and start to leak. I am not a real wrencher but i managed to fix both problems myself. I also service it myself with TK parts. Those are the only problems i have had and now its been about 6 yrs owning it. My unit has 7500 hrs on it. With fuel $3-$4 a gallon it has paid for itself easily. Standard alternators and parts are ok but just like anything else OE its built to outlast the warranty. Find a better alternator or a shop that rebuild it with better parts.

11. richierich723

richierich723 Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Lexington Kentucky
    I just bought a 09 cascadia that has a thermo king apu on it. First time using an apu period. My hmi controller won't come on.I've tried the reset button and check the fuse in the box under the bunk. Any advise would really be helpful thanks

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.