They need to mandate hourly w/ OT after 40

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Northeasterner, Jan 21, 2023.

1. Northeasterner

Northeasterner Medium Load Member

Apr 1, 2018
    The combination of driver facing cameras and the electronic logging devices means the company knows every move I make anyways.

It will raise pay because there are so few drivers willing to work for the current low wages as is, I don't think you realize just how little bargaining power employers have...

Have you ever driven for an hourly employer? Bcuz I have for several, we do the limit if it's safe.

No matter what, there is always somebody who wants to go faster...

"Freedom", huh? Trucking companies have gotten their overtime exemption since 1938, and us drivers have ELDs & cameras in our faces. What is this "freedom" you speak of?

Well, why does the government need to hold trucking companies hand and give them an exemption from the flsa in the first place?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    Fine with me. At least they're paying me for what I'm doing. Piece rate is NEVER beneficial to the employee. But truck drivers are too stupid to realize this.

But you know #### good and well they won't do this because it will be IMPOSSIBLE to get loads where they need to go when they need to be there shutting drivers down in the middle of their routes. Trying to make drivers T call randomly to avoid OT would be a logistics NIGHTMARE for dispatchers.

But nice try defending this piece rate bull.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
  4. Northeasterner

Apr 1, 2018
    We're professionals when we screw up and lawyers need a scapegoat, otherwise the Bureau of Labor Statistics classifies us as unskilled labor.

5. drivingmissdaisy

Jun 10, 2019
    I used to work for piece rate at an airplane hangar as an A&P. I was told it was a great way to make a ton of money if you worked hard. No, in reality, it was a great way to go broke.

I had an hourly wage but only paid so many hours per job. I remember one time we had a job to change an air-stair on an Airbus A319 for Frontier Airlines. It paid for 1 hour of labor. It only took me and my assistant 30 minutes to accomplish the work. THEN WE HAD TO WAIT 3 HOURS FOR AN INSPECTOR TO COME AND SIGN IT OFF. So I was paid for one hour of work and lost 4 hours of my day.

Yea, I quit that job in a hurry.

6. 2Tap

2Tap Medium Load Member

Jul 19, 2022
    Southern Wisconsin
    Really? The ones i see drive 80+ hours a week and sleep in line at the cheese plant waiting to be unloaded/washed. Employers are happy paying their drivers to sleep in line in exchange for their willingness to drive 80+ (ag exempt) because they cant find drivers crazy enough to back into an Amish "driveway" at zero dark thirty on a moonless night.

7. drivingmissdaisy

Jun 10, 2019
    I'm a bit unclear on why people would think that drivers on hourly wage would drive slow. Do you see daycabs going slow? I don't. I get my doors blown off by UPS all the time, one passed me yesterday doing almost 75. Daycabs are all paid hourly and I see them going just as fast as the rest of us. Our companies daycabs are governed at the same speed as the OTR trucks. Why would they go slower? If daycabs go slow its the governor, not the hourly wage, keeping them down.

Mileage or hourly, dispatchers are still going to give drivers times they have to arrive. So if they drive so slow they don't make it on time, they'll lose their job.

Some of these arguments are simply foolish.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
  8. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    I doubt they would be worried about overtime pay. They need to keep the trucks busy to make money. That truck cost to much money to worry about someone making a few extra bucks. My 2 cents anyways

9. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    Well, I have neither ELD or cameras. I go to work when I need to, stop as often as I please throughout my day, take a lunch break as I see fit. As long as the loads are not late, nobody hassles me about time. Oh and I sleep at home every night in my bed, and work approximately 10 hours a day, five days a week. All for $85k last year.

Try that under most hourly paid companies

Oh and I drive a daycab- and I'm not paid hourly

10. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    I hear UPS pays a very handsome hourly wage and has lots of ham holding to go along with it if you so desire

11. Northeasterner

Apr 1, 2018
    Frankly, if your job is so cushy now being paid piecerate, then being paid hourly prolly won't change that.

This would help the 99.999% of other drivers that don't have it as good as you, to get fairly paid for their time.

Again I ask you, why should the government hold companies hands and let them have an exemption to the FLSA?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.