Things on a truck a cop would look at for a random inspection?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by marvelousmack, Aug 1, 2021.

1. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    A lot of drivers get cited for not knowing how to show the DOT inspector their hours on the ELD

It’s the drivers job to know how to use the ELD.
    So practice it .
    When they ask to see the hours , you should be able to do it quickly and look like you know what you’re doing , and not fumbling and stumbling punching random buttons etc

and you’re supposed to check the fire Extinguisher and triangles EVERY DAY when you do your pre trip.
    So when the inspector asks where are the triangles ,you need to be able to access them quickly and then asks “when was the last time you checked them ?” Your answer better be “today “

and he will know you’re lying if your triangles are buried under tons of junk in the side box.

Dockbumper Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    You had better know what the Officer is talking about when he asks to see your ERODS! You would be shocked at how many drivers will look at you as if you have 2 heads when you ask them that question! If you are one of those drivers......LOOK IT UP!

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  4. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I can't agree with this statement. It is incumbent on the enforcement Officer to make their requests in such a way as the driver can understand. I have spoken to several DOT Officers about this process. Almost every one of them tells me they simply informed the driver they needed to see their "logs". To this end as Paul Harvey used to say "now for the rest of the story". My post # 31 was made because I once had a Colorado DOT Officer ask to see all my 393.85 required equipment. I looked at him and said huh! Then in a rather exasperated way, he better explained his request! These types of DOT Officers are the national poster people for being real Richard Craniums. In my post #36 I mentioned the young Officers. During my career, I was more at ease with an older Officer. These young people today are a totally different breed!

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  5. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    These guys are human. Use that to your advantage. You can almost make them feel guilty if you’re super nice, crack a few jokes and come across as an every day working guy just trying to get by. Lol try to act like you’re a lawyer and they’ll write you up for every stinking thing They can possibly dream of.

Everything you learned in your pre-trip inspection in CDL school is what they potentially can check. As for checking personal property, without probable cause, they’re allowed to sit in the driver seat and basically look through anything within reach of the driver. I E alcohol or illegal substances or things of that nature. Without probable cause they’re not allowed to really look in your bunk or cabinets in the back or things like that.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  6. tgtrotter

tgtrotter Bobtail Member

Mar 8, 2013
    Don't ever look into the Chicken Coop as you pass by. Crack your window, stare straight ahead at the lights and signs. As for what they're checking. If you're pulled into an inspection lane, rarely a quick look over. Most times the 11 basic critical items ( what are they smarty pants ? ) During Safety Blitzes EVERYTHING . Roadside, most of the time you are gonna get burned, just like the blitzes.

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  7. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    I've spent my life doing road service. Most common OOS violations we see are

Brakes, not operating or below spec
    Air leaks
    Lights
    Here in the last 2 years, tire PSI.

All new tires have RFID chips in them, and many of the new scales (Roland OK C'mon) can read these chips, telling tire pressure as you roll.

8. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    Also pretty easy to tell maintenance practices just by looking at things you can see without doing an inspection.

Oil leaks, wheels and tires, and windshields.

9. tgtrotter

tgtrotter Bobtail Member

Mar 8, 2013
    Yeah kind of on the leaks...but are they leaks or weeps ?. What MLC said. And steering linkage. Anything can be considered OOS considering it's not the original 11 critical items as intended by the CVSA.

10. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Duck taped fenders might catch the inspectors eye

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  11. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Leaking wheel seals are easy pickings. Get under there and look.

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.