Things on a truck a cop would look at for a random inspection?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by marvelousmack, Aug 1, 2021.

1. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Any portable readers available so the driver can read the pressure ?

I’ve passed inspections over the pit , with duct tape and coat hangers holding the headlight bucket up. Where the fiberglass fender used to be.
    Inspector didn’t care . Lights are securely mounted and functional.
    He did a very thorough inspection ,
    Shook the tie rods , measured
    The slack adjusters travel etc
    Don’t remember him checking the tire pressure though .

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    Never even thought about it, but I bet there is. Quick Google search turned up nothing though.

4. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Just my ---
    [​IMG]
    ---but you can just get a simple infrared reader off Amazon for a few bucks. I have seen DOT cops use them! If I were still active I would be using one during my post-trip! You can't tell the air pressure of course, but if the temps are in the normal range your tires should be OK!

5. krupa530

krupa530 Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2014
    Orem, UT
    Plenty of simple plug and play tpms for trucks that you can put on just your truck. Check Amazon. As with most things, you get what you pay for. Never had an inspector check my tire pressures though.

Val_Caldera Thanks this.
  6. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Please provide evidence for that statement. I'm sure they can put RFID chips in tires, I'm not disputing that. But....they can read the pressure?? Which lunch counter were you sitting at when you heard that story? Lol. There are infrared cameras that can show a HOT tire or brake, but nobody has a screen showing your TIRE PRESSURE!

Bean Jr. and God prefers Diesels Thank this.
  7. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I wasn't going to go there, but since you did as far as I know RF chips IN ANYTHING are strictly used for inventory and as anti-shoplifting tools.

8. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I had a brief brain fart about TPMs. I know several OOs that use them. As stated you can see many different TPM products online. Me personally I rather use a tire gauge and a good visual inspection when stopped!

9. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Yes....count on me to go there Moose1958. I'm sure tire manufacturers could put Date of mfg, serial number, point of sale, etc. And probably do.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  10. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    The first quarter of 2020 my tire sales increased 160%, mostly due to service calls for OOS vehicles at the Oklahoma weigh station WB at the 329mm.

I questioned a OHP about it one day while I was there myself. He pointed out the RFID indicator on a tire I had pulled off.

He told me they had technology now where they could read the pressure from that. Was he honest? I have no idea, but I'm a Michelin dealer and had no idea that tires had RFID chips until that day.

Here's one of my Michelin steers I just snapped a pic of.

20210814_155836.jpg

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.