Thinking about becoming an o/o

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Nathan6452, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Don’t get hung up on the make of the truck, look for something with the right drivetrain and cheap to fix. You want to keep it moving, not wait four months for parts.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Nathan6452

Nathan6452 Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2021
    Yeah I know that’s down the road. Not gonna buy anything without my brother there. He was adamant about that lol

4. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Only problem I see is that $3.00 a mile freight may not last forever , better plan on $2.50.
    Buying a emissions truck is a gamble, dealers will have truck polished up and no codes. You can dyno it, take oil sample, rig dig it, then on the way home it may throw 5 codes and derate. Be prepared to drop another 10k and hope it is fixed.

I would by a old truck and rebuild and refurbish and know what you have.

Dino soar, staceydude, Vampire and 2 others Thank this.
  5. Nathan6452

Sep 13, 2021
    Thanks for all the input guys! We are going to see how the rest of the year plays out with my and my wife’s job. If things are going downhill, we will probably start looking at other houses in the spring and make our move during the summer. In the meantime it will be saving/investing and a lot of research on trucks and being an o/o.

Vampire Thanks this.
  6. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    This is probably something that you want to hear.... But I suggest you start as a company driver first, I would recommend a year, but that is up to you. This way you can decide if trucking is for you, you will also brush up on your skills. As I have said many times jumping into trucking as an owner operator, is like starting out as the Chief of Police. There is so much to learn, and there is a very high failure rate for new owner operators. Good luck.

Otr Traveler, Last Call and Nathan6452 Thank this.
  7. Nathan6452

Sep 13, 2021
    Nope, it’s all in or nothin!

JK
    I have thought about going that route as well. With my experience I probably wouldn’t be able to pick and choose companies but with the workforce shortage I might be able to land something decent.

8. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    While I agree there is, I'd say his situation is different.

While I'm new to driving a truck, as a mechanic I was obviously around drivers every day.

Most that failed had no business, in business. They had no money, no financial sense, and made the assumption everything will go right until the money start rolling in.

The nail in the coffin is not maintaining equipment.

Otr Traveler and staceydude Thank this.
  9. bad-luck

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    While I agree he is in a different position than most, I personally think it is a bad idea to jump right in to being an owner operator. He mentioned he got out because he was away from family too much. As an owner operator I can tell you first hand that it is a 7 day a week job, if your not driving it your working on it.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  10. bad-luck

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Obviously its your choice. I have been trucking for 34 years and was just giving you my opinion, as I have seem many, many do just what you are planning and not only did they fail but lost their shirt in the process.... I wish you the best of luck, and I truly mean that as I don’t like to see anyone fail.

Dino soar and Nathan6452 Thank this.
  11. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    Every situation is different. In my case, I also started for more free time. Yes, I'm spending most of my free time updating my 30 year old truck. Not always making repairs per se, but things I want done for my peace of mind.

So the majority of the income my truck has brought in, goes right back into it. That part will soon be over. I'm gonna stretch it with a cutoff from a 20 model freightliner, already have steer springs and hangers, steering gear box, and I'm going to replace the 13 with an 18.

I'll be building a new 60 series fit it this winter, then it'll be painted, and done.

After that, 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off.

Last Call and Nathan6452 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.