Thinking about going lease purchase..any feedback appreciated

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by TenSeven, Feb 17, 2014.

1. TenSeven

TenSeven Bobtail Member

Jan 28, 2014
    I'm 27 and fairly new to the trucking industry. I currently work for a big box company. I have a little over a year of experience. I don't have any outside bills like rent/car payment/debt/kids etc. Was thinking about doing the lease-purchase program my company offers. I'm really doing OTR right now just for the experience to get a better local job in the future, trying to get about 4 years experience OTR. Right now I'm a company driver and I want to make more money first, but also want the other benefits that being an owner op offers. My company offers the option of training new drivers and I would get paid for all miles while they (the student/trainee) get hourly on-duty pay. In the end, it doesn't really matter how I get the 4-5 years experience, so why not try out being an owner op, right? Was wondering what a more experienced driver would think. My plan basically is lease either a 2014 Freightliner Evo with a cummins ISX435 ST (if made) engine or lease a KW T680 cummins ISX435 ST and then train new drivers until I can afford to put an APU and some super singles on it and maybe some other mods to increase fuel mileage and then run it for about the next 2-3 years. I'm a hard runner, and I actually really enjoy it, I drive out my 11 every day and usually average about 550-620 a day governed at 62mph. The question is, is this a solid plan? Can it work? Is there a high chance of me drowning in debt? Just wondering what you all think of my plan. I'm good at saving money, and like I said, I do enjoy the job. Any feedback is great, thanks.

Edit: also, was thinking about going LLC if I were to lease.. anyone experienced with being an LLC?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wcurtin1962

wcurtin1962 Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    First get speed out of your head, the math doesn't work, slowing down will reduce you fuel costs $6000 to $11000 a year. Here's the problem I have with leasing or buying a new truck. The first two to three years not much problems. In the fourth year you start to have four figure repairs, and still have the big payments. Plus the reoccurring repairs on the emission junk the truck comes with.

Fuffster, TenSeven and baha Thank this.
  4. TenSeven

TenSeven Bobtail Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Agreed. But speed really isn't in my head, I'd still run the truck 60-62mph (that helps gas mileage, right?). But I have noticed in the company trucks I've been in that the DEF system fails pretty often, this issue isn't any better in the 2014 models? Thanks for feedback by the way

5. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    No. No and no. Get some more time under you. Talk to people. Get to know trucking. Learn. Learn what you can about trucks. Have some cash for your maintenance fund. Lease purchase is not get rich quick. More like if you don't know what you're doing its a get broke while working harder scheme. I can't stress this stuff enough. You're not just a trucker anymore. A business owner. And you have to learn how to think like one. Good luck and give it another year or two. You'll be glad you did.

wcurtin1962, DLKeur, TenSeven and 2 others Thank this.
  6. wcurtin1962

Oct 22, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    I don't thank the emission stuff will ever get any better. I'm watching LNG to see if in takes hold.

That would be the only way I would buy new. I bought a old England beater truck. A 2003 century. It was the last non EGR truck the company had. I spend enough on maintenance to pay payments on a new truck, but I only paid $12000.00 for it and paid it off in a year.

The way I look at it is you are going to pay about the same amount to maintain a truck no matter how new it is. Ether it's the big payment or high maintenance on a older truck. The difference is you get out from under the interest payments faster with a older truck, but the risk of catastrophic failure is higher.

As far as fuel mileage goes check out the scan gauge at Letstruck.com, It's under $200 and will teach you how to get better mileage. The rule of thumb was keep it at 55-60 MPH, now people are running 55-60 on the flats and light fuel on the throttle down hill to the speed limit and up hill. I was getting 8.5 out of my truck last year. It has dropped to low 7s. I think I need to change out the injectors.

7. Dinomite

Dinomite Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Looking 4 Rocks
    I see Prime has got them another victim ready for the fleece deal.

baha and DLKeur Thank this.
  8. wcurtin1962

Oct 22, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Plus start running your company truck like an O/O. Keep track of the expanses it takes to run the truck. Start watching fuel prices. Learn how to prepare a IFTA (fuel tax) return. Get in the habit of writing down mileage at state lines. Try to reduce the mileage in your routing.

chicknwing and Preacher Man Thank this.
  9. chicknwing

chicknwing Medium Load Member

Jan 4, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    With one year of experience do you really think you are qualified to train new students? Training students is something you should do if you have a passion for it.

That statement says you would train students for the extra money. Which I assure you is the wrong reason to be a trainer. Your desire for the extra money would be to the detriment of your students and their future success.

I think as others have already said you should wait a couple more years and really understand the business and the difference of being a owner operator versus a "driver"

milskired, DLKeur, joseph1135 and 4 others Thank this.
  10. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    Hell Prime is one of the least worst. There's Buell and Hurricane and CRE. Buell and Hurricane being the absolute biggest rip offs there are. Prime is up front with how they will take you for a ride. They tell you. You're renting the truck. You won't own it. Maybe some appreciate that kind of honesty. Maybe they don't know better.

11. CaptainX3

CaptainX3 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Fort Worth, TX
    I started as a lease driver a out 3 weeks ago. I have 2 years driving under my belt. Here's what I'll tell you from my own personal experience:

1. I'm leasing a 2014 Freightliner Cascadia Evolution. Detroit DD15. Everyone is right - speed kills your wallet. First week, I got excited and ran 70 everywhere. Got 6.2 mpg average. The last two weeks, I have been running at 61, and all of my loads except one were over 40,000. Getting 7.8 mpg average, and that's calculated directly, not from the lying dash computer LOL. Definitely keep the speed down.

2. You are no longer a driver. You are a business owner. You are no longer chasing miles. DO NOT CHASE MILES. This week, I have grossed $3800 and have run exactly 2,485 miles. It's very unlikely that I'll ever cross 3,000 miles in a week anymore, because I'm chasing revenue per mile. Why drive 3,000 miles and work yourself to death when you can run 2,500 and make a decent living?

3. This is not a get rich quick plan. I'll admit that even I had stars in my eyes about making those $2000+ weekly paychecks. I'm willing to bet I'll hit that every now and then... But not every week. However, I am taking home about what I did as a company driver, sometimes a bit more, and I pick where I go and what I haul. I'm also driving less miles to make what I did as a company driver. But just be aware that you're not about to walk in and take home $80,000 a year - expect to make the same as you did as a company driver with more freedom.

4. DO YOUR HOMEWORK. There are a few good lease purchase plans out there, but they are very hard to find. I'm happy with the one I'm on, I think everything is reasonable, considering that the finance company is taking a huge risk on someone like me with mediocre credit and no down payment. Also, be aware that you still will have some restrictions, even if it is "your" truck, because its really not until it's paid for.

5. My one regret is not learning more about the industry first. Turns out that there is a reason why freight going to CO and FL pays so well... Cuz good luck getting out! LOL. I know that now, but a bit more learning and preparation might've saved me some fuel costs associated with going to "consumption only" areas. And I've still got so much to learn.

6. Doing this while trying to support a family is a huge risk. I'm single, no wife, no kids, no house. I don't care how long I'm out. My only bill is my cell phone. I can survive off of the cash advance if I really need to. Be super careful about what you're planning if you've got bills to pay at home. Discuss it with your family, and be honest about it. There will be HARD times your first few weeks.

7. Be ready for annoyances and breakdowns. The heater on my APU hasn't worked since I got the truck. Company shop won't touch it due to warranty, and the Freightliner at home told me it would be a 4 day wait to get it fixed. So right now I'm idling every night, at a cost of over $300 a week. So, I've had to eat cheaply (Thank God for Ramen noodles LOL) and sacrifice a few luxuries while I work out a plan to get this fixed while minimizing downtime. But be aware that even if its a brand new truck, you'll run into issues, and it will cost you money.

That's all I can think of right this minute because it's nearly 1am. But seriously, learn all you can about the industry and do your homework. There are plenty of lease programs out there that are designed to put you out of business, or at least not designed for you to succeed. You need to find the diamond in the rough, even if it takes a few months of research.

Good luck, stay safe, and keep the rubber side down.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.