Thinking bout going pneumatic

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Crazydump, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Crazydump

Crazydump Bobtail Member

Oct 21, 2018
    Raymondville mo
    Thanks guys I told my comp I give them a answer soon not sure yet I am thinking bout waiting till after winter before I decided

2. ACO476

ACO476 Light Load Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Texas
    Carry extra gaskets (every size you might need) and extra ears/pins. Easiest job I've ever had has been pulling a pneumatic trailer.

RubyEagle and bottomdumpin Thank this.
  3. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Give it a lot of thought before you decide. Your initial investment in trailers, pumps, and other support equipment will be high, If the rates in your part of the country aren't good it might take you a long time to start actually making money,
    Be very careful about buying used trailers. Some of them have lead a hard life and playing catch-up on deferred maintenance items can drive you nuts.
    If you start out with used trailers and they're always breaking down and you start missing loads you'll be out of business quick.

4. Crazydump

Crazydump Bobtail Member

Oct 21, 2018
    Raymondville mo
    I won’t be buying a trailer mycompany has the equipment just not sure what I’m gonna do I kinda enjoy the adrenaline rush I’m getting from the end dump so far but like I said I might try it out

5. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.

Okay, I thought you were going into the business yourself.
    You'll probably enjoy the tankers. It's easy work and you get to think a little bit.

6. Bill51

Bill51 Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Get good ear protection. PTO air pump and the aerators can make some noise.

7. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Your ears are going to be your biggest tool while unloading. You'll get to know your trailers and all their little quirks, most of which will be what they sound like when they do certain things.

It's a job that requires constant supervision from you. As soon as you hop up into the cab, even if it's been unloading for 20 minutes straight without a hiccup, it'll clog, over-pressurize the tank and you won't be there to catch it before it blows the emergency release valve.

I learned almost everything I know through trial and error. Unloading a pneumatic quickly is an art form, almost a dance sometimes depending on the product (you might be bouncing back and forth between product and line valves constantly). It's not something I've heard is ever properly taught to drivers. Companies just assume if you can hook everything up, you can unload the trailer successfully.

Things you'll need:

- Hearing protection (the blower WILL cause hearing damage, even outdoors)
    - Duct tape, at least a couple rolls
    - Extra O-rings and hose clamps in all sizes (usually 3" and 4")
    - Good rubber mallet (spend some cash and buy a good quality one, the cheap ones break easily)
    - A dozen rubber bungees (to hold things in place)
    - Some sort of small pry bar (or even a decent sized flat head screwdriver)
    - Small wire brush

Things you might need:

- Seal cutters (any tank moving across the border will require seals, and a driver might not do you the favour of removing them before you unload and reload the trailer)
    - Hose couplers (depends on what you haul and where, but most of the time you'll need more than one line to get the product into the bin)

Suspect Zero Thanks this.
  8. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    WHAT!!!!!!!!! (Fellow powder pusher here) o_Oo_Oo_O

9. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    All good info here.

For plastic seals you can use a knife or side cutters. For cable seals get a pair of cable cutters and for the hammer I find that plastic dead blow hammers work best. The rubber mallet tends to wanna bounce back where the dead blow transfers the shock to the trailer to help loosen the sticky product. I haul flour 5-6 days a week and our company issues us 3 pound orange hammers from harbor freight. They are like $10-15 and have a lifetime guarantee.

Attached Files:

Suspect Zero and Zeviander Thank this.
  10. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Going to try a dead blow. Never thought of using one before. I like the upper arm workout from the rubber mallet though, lol.

Suspect Zero Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.