Thinking of Coming Back to OTR/LTL

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Murphy21863, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Murphy21863

Murphy21863 Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2018
    Afternoon all,

My name is Jim, I was on this forum a couple years ago now, tried to get back on under that handle but I can't for the life of me remember the password. I left trucking two years ago, after only three years on the road, thinking it wasn't for me; (and the fact that my then-wife and kids thought it was a mistake in the first place), I stopped driving OTR for TMC, came home and drove for a local refrigerated gas hauler. My dad passed away, my marriage ended in divorce, and I simply decided it was best for me to stay put. (I think I threw in the towel)

I'm not trying to paint a sob-story, or looking for sympathy, I'm kind of seeking some advice on whether to come back to trucking or not, or at the very least perhaps to hear from others that have faced similar struggles in their return.

While I was driving OTR, there was an long-haul, LTL outfit that I really was interested in and saw myself applying there and seeing if it might be a better fit than my then-current situation. I never did, but I have not stopped thinking that I would like too. I have also toyed with the idea of buying my own truck and going O/O, not that I think I am exceedingly smart with respect to that area of the trucking industry, but because I'm better suited, at times, on my own. The lease-trucking companies scare me though, I've read too many horror stories.

I guess the thing that un-nerves me the most is getting back in the saddle after a 2 year hiatus, and being a "greenhorn" in all due respects with only 2 years OTR experience. Not sure what to do...*(scratches head)

Not to belabor this; does anyone reading this have any sound advice about coming back, or suggestions to follow to begin that process?

For what its worth, I still carry a CDL-A license (CT), it expires in February 2019. I don't want to let it expire, but would rather do something with it.

Thank any and all of you for your responses in advance, I look forward to a dialogue.

Drive safe and Peace

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Where is your location? Connecticut? Many companies will be glad to hire you.
    What you may have to do is go with an otr company for about 6 months, then start applying to LTL companies. They usually want recent experience before being hired.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Here's a good one; www.drive4freymiller.com - click on "Restore Program."
    JOIN THE FREYMILLER FAMILY THROUGH OUR RESTORE PROGRAM
    HAVEN’T BEEN ON THE ROAD IN THE LAST 2 YEARS? NO PROBLEM.
    At Freymiller, we’ve got a special program for experienced drivers who’ve been off the road for a little while.

Our Restore finishing program will pair you with a certified mentor to give you the recent on-the-road driving experience you need to step into a job as a Freymiller company driver.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Here's some more that hire drivers with a long gap in driving. Don't go by what's on the websites, just submit an application or call and ask:
    Abilene Motor Express
    Transport America
    Calex Logistics
    Magnum Ltd.
    Celadon

6. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Hiya. I'm back on the road after a long break. A lot of people here know the story. I'll hit the highlights for ya so you don't have to look up my threads.

I drove for 8 years, tried a couple non-trucking jobs, then moved in to my mother-in-law's with my wife and young son, and went to mechanic school at age 45.

Got on with the transit authority, worked on buses in two states for eight years.

I was miserable. But the job created a stable home environment.

Got fired from the buses, re-instated, then quit. Figured I'd just get back in a truck. But I had an at-fault accident in my car two years prior.

Applied to, and was rejected by, 31 companies. I run "regional" (21 states so far) food grade tanker for company 32.

My son's in college, I get home nearly every weekend, and my wife says it's been a long time since she's seen me this happy at a job. I'm given my assignment, and left alone to do it.

If you have a clean MVR, you should have a shorter job search than I did. And some of those companies that rejected me 8 months ago are now sending me emails asking me to fill out an app for them.

Just decide what kind of trucking you like best, and go get it. Good luck!

Sorry for the long post.

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    @homeskillet
    Good post; keep up the good work. Yeah, punching a time clock isn't for everyone.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    homeskillet Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You may qualify for R&L Carriers right now. You'll make a lot of money there running line haul.
    Here's two job openings; check 'em out!
    Click here for solo > Apply On Company Site
    Click here for teams > Apply On Company Site
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Excellent Pay with Experience
    R+L Carriers offers an excellent compensation and comprehensive benefits package that includes Medical/Dental/Vision Insurance, 401(k) Retirement Plan with company matching contributions, Paid Vacation & Holidays, and free vacation lodging at our exclusive employee resorts in Daytona Beach, FL, Big Bear Lake, CA and Pigeon Forge, TN.

9. Murphy21863

Nov 30, 2018
    Thanks Chinatown. I've thought that I would have to do that first.

10. Murphy21863

Nov 30, 2018
    Hi homeskillet,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah my MVR is clean, shouldn't have any issues. Id like to run with a long-haul LTL outfit.

homeskillet Thanks this.
  11. Murphy21863

Nov 30, 2018
    Thanks again Chinatown!

It's a big decision, but one that's been nagging at me for awhile. I'll continue to check out my options.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.