Thinking of coming over to LS from Schneider.

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by kanidana, Oct 24, 2021.

1. kanidana

kanidana Heavy Load Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    Maybe third attempt will be a charm. 2 false starts applying due to life situations and backing out because they said my physical was improper. I've now got a clean new physical.

Haven't been here for awhile so I hate to open with a question for some info but here goes.

I'm right on the verge of paying off my truck and I'm strongly considering jumping ship. I'm at Schneider getting 65% just like at Landstar. The problem is, freight out of Phoenix to anywhere just sucks. The rates and the places that the freight goes. I've been getting around this by deadheading 300 plus miles into LA and coming back to Phoenix for decent rates. I'm sick of half of my miles being empty, although I'm loving staying near my home in Phoenix.

So, now to the question. How abundant is freight leaving Phoenix and going into the LA area and how good are the rates? Also, how's the freight leaving the LA area and coming back to Phoenix? I'll give you hard numbers for comparison.

Lately, I've been deadheading into Colton, CA to pickup 810 dollar loads going back to the Buckeye Walmart. 305 dh and 305 loaded for 810. If I'm lucky enough to land one of the six loads leaving Phoenix going to Rancho C for Frito Lay, they pay between 310 and 325, about 1.10 a mile. Lately, I've lucked into some really good Amazon loads leaving Phoenix paying 2.10 but those are rarity level diamond loads (3 so far in 3 weeks, I've never seen them before, something new) so I can't count on getting them regularly at all.

These questions are probably asked all of the time but I've offered up hard numbers from Schneider when asked by inquisitive newcomers so I thought I'd ask about Landstar. Anyways thanks for your time.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    @Dave_in_AZ might be a good place to look.
    Might be a good hook up until you get your feet on the ground as well

4. kanidana

Aug 21, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    Lol. My ex-girlfriend used me as a hook up until she got her feet on the ground. Wish she'd used one of her two police officer brothers that live here instead.

But, yeah, Dave has some good info but just a little vague on the specifics sometimes.

5. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Work with him and take your time.
    I'm almost sure he's not going to unload his best customer on you on your first day out.
    As I understand it, it takes time.

Congratulations on paying off your truck.
    Good luck and happy trails.

6. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    I’m guessing your power only if you do Amazon.?

jbhunt, Schneider, Amazon, coupled with DAT.

But I run my own numbers so it might not work for you.

kanidana Thanks this.
  7. kanidana

Aug 21, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    I kind of figured you guys ran your own numbers. These are loads under Schneiders freight board and they very rarely show up. I see trucks at Amazon all the time that just have a dot number on the side so I assumed these are indy o/o's running their own numbers.

8. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    naa most trucks at Amazon are company drivers. Very rarely i see O/O like me pull Amazon.

9. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    Gonna revive this thread. LS is where I’m thinking I’ll be going if I can get to AZ and/or SoCal more easily than I can with Schneider. My folks are 84 and 83, and mom is stable but “fragile” according to her docs, so I’d like to at least have access to some freight headed that way. It’s almost impossible to with Schneider.

10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    I realize when this post was made, but it doesn't change my point.
    That is, when people not only pull for 1.10/mile but think they are lucky to get that much is what is wrong with the industry.

STOP PULLING CHEAP FREIGHT!!!!!!!

Not only are you putting yourself out of business, but you are keeping rates low for every single driver, be it an O/O or company driver.

11. kanidana

Aug 21, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    I get what you're saying but I'm running a biz and the big picture matters. For example, I take a load leaving Phoenix that pays for 100 gallons of fuel. That fuel gets me to LA so I can get 3.10 a mile freight. That cheap freight paid for my round trip to LA and averaged me a decent per mile rate. I could have deadheaded to LA to avoid cheap rates but that would have been financially dumb.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.