Thinking of going O/O, Forward Air or Summit Transport?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Bfowler1992, Dec 13, 2018.

1. mpotts90

mpotts90 Bobtail Member

May 11, 2017
    How did orientation go?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REEFERman450

REEFERman450 Light Load Member

May 3, 2016
    Will write my opinion by the weekend...stay tuned.

4noReason Thanks this.
  4. 4noReason

4noReason Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2012
    im watching too.

REEFERman450 Thanks this.
  5. dosgatos

dosgatos Medium Load Member

Sep 18, 2012
    What do you want to know. Where are you located?

6. 4noReason

Nov 29, 2012
    my dad at faf. but he was a towne air driver faf bought em out. so i was just curious how orientation is.

7. dosgatos

Sep 18, 2012
    It's the same as orientation anywhere. 2 day orientation plus a morning to sign contracts. Medical clinic first day. Driving test in Los Angeles was on a simulator. Forms, safety powerpoints, Tech installs omnitacs on your truck second day. Dot numbers and truck number were on the truck third day then wait for dispatch.
    First week settlement 3020, second week 3737, third 1694, forth 1950 because I only drove 3 days and took time off. I've been assured I will never see numbers like the first two weeks ever again.

8. 4noReason

Nov 29, 2012
    ok. thx for info wow. can i ask a few more please. ok so first day is drug test and dot physical or can i get my own physical? also are those numbers net after fuel, plates etc? finally. my dad is in chicago so hes home daily or every other day. because midwest has a lot of places. do u think its because hes been there long or because the amount of ltl terminals avaiable here. because i dont want to be out too too long. also when u mean never see those numbers do you mean too good to be true? so is the average pay net like 2500 or the 1600. because my dad brings in between 2500 or so

9. dosgatos

Sep 18, 2012
    Company provides the physical/drug screen at a clinic. Distances are better in the west. 2 day loads are scarce for solo drivers. Ltl is mostly overnight so distances limited. Longest overnight distance is 693 miles paid from kansas city mo to columbus oh. 3700 settlement was on 4100 miles over 9 days of driving. Depends on when the trips start and finish on the pay period.

10. REEFERman450

May 3, 2016
    This in what i experienced and are my thoughts...

WE rolled out to Groveport Ohio on 9-7.19 from texas. We checked in to the Quality inn on Sunday night about 2100. was informed that the shuttle van left at 0630 for 0700 class.

Day 1
    we got to class and the instructor ,chuck Baker, was already over the day for what ever reason. no introduction or no explanation and he just launched into the Death by power point presentation for the 30 drivers +3 small Fleet owners that where in attendance.. We had a mountain of information in front of us that did not coincide with the verbiage that he spewed. He lost us early on and said to hold questions to the end.

Out of no where another guy, Stephen, came in and actually interrupted Chuck to tell us we need to file into the next room to see the driving simulator...we did and then marched back to class and Chuck picked back up.

One by one we filed into the driving sim to show case out skills ..at the end you get a go or NOGO.

I passed but for those that did not it was a driving test in a Day cab later that day.

Class proceeds and then its made known that Piss testing and DOT physicals are in store for this afternoon. !/2 the class does in on day 1 and the rest on day 2.

*** does not matter if you have a new Physical you are taking one at FAF***

I did it on day 1.

Company paid for lunch.

After lunch folks are shuffles two doors down to drop a UA. then start the Physical. Most did the Physical at this facility but some went off sight .

I did both day 1.

*** for those that went off sight, that Doctor made them walk on both Heels and toes. those that couldnt do it failed the physical and leter where asked to leave.****

**** If you wear a CPAP, bring your Current Cert or whatever paperwork as it is a disqualifier here if you need to wear one and do not have the paperwork for it*****

//////end of Day 1//////

Day 2

Same morning ritual and more death by powerpoint. Folks are told to finish what wasnt completed yesterday and are introduced to ELD Qualcomm. User names and passwords are set up... More paperwork to file alone with all documents for your Business and banking account information. we meet SAfety and Contractor liason this day. we meet guy installing Cameras and Qualcomms... if you need to UA or a physical you stay else you are free to go to. I left.

/////////////End of Day 2/////////

Day 3

Morning ritual and finish paperwork... you get results from DOT Physical... if you pass you stay.. if you fail, you are called into a room and asked to leave.... ####ty way to do it as this should be completed day 1 so you dont do a mountain of paperwork only for it to be nill.

Passing people are told to go to CMH (company HQ) and do more paperwork... meet Driver Manager..get intro to Mcleod App ect...we wait in a small room to be called into 2x2 to meet Driver managers and fill out the White sheet with expectations and other minimal information... by 1500 we are told if we cleared everything or not.. those that did not are asked to leave... those that did go upstairs and ger ID babde made... I got my badge. You are an Employee at this point.

I asked to go home after orientation as I had an issue to deal with...It fell on deaf ears and I just got home on the 20th.

/////////////First Load////////////////

Cardinal rule here is Never Bobtail... always have a trailer.

You have a steep learning curve here as minimal stuff is explained and you are expected to be a mind reader it seems. Luckily I know People net and QuALCOMM and message sending protocols or I was be farther behind. I feel bad for those that are not fluent in English ... this company has no provisions for ESL (English as a Second) language drivers.

I have managed to do ok the first week with 2500 loaded miles and 603 empty.
    They dont seem to nickle and dime you like others claim but I do disagree with the .25 cent charge for every swipe of their fuel card... I think thats petty. The settlement sheet id pretty well laid out and covers every charge.

This is the overview of things so if yall have specifics then feel free to ask.

-Reefer

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  11. REEFERman450

May 3, 2016
    You are correct, for me its $40.36 per week. to run thier plates.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.