Thinking of hanging up the keys for good ( warning: long post)

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by rbrtwbstr, Jul 10, 2019.

1. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    Whatever you decide just don't let your CDL go. So many people do and they always regret it cause they can't find a job that pays good enough but don't want to go through the headache of getting it again. It's not that big of a deal to get a physical every couple years even if you aren't using the CDL.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I am not tied to any company.

In Blacktop paving you cannot do this in winter. It freezes to a solid block in a hour before you arrive. Dump it and becomes a game of dice instead of paving.

So unemployment 300 some dollars a week 5 months sit home let the winter roar.

Two people had a problem with that. My parents. They were old fashioned. How is it possible... Here i am.

And yes I was the Forrest Gump going home several times. Not a issue. Ive had my spouse quit a few times for some VERY good reasons. One place we had a suitor wait for her in the employee entrance which turns into a Marriage problem.

So quit that employer suitor got the message and went out of our life. He died shortly later in the arms of a better girlfriend for him. Long story short.

Money is not all that. It is yes. But at the same time if you had a million in the bank and you sit in the same living room not able to motivate to get up and go do something in life then what are you? OR better yet what have you become?

Maybe he makes you partner. You cut the owner a check each week for his owner ship and you run the outfit maybe at a salary better than your best 4 quarters there in 8 years. (Social Security has a list of all wages earned to the penny in your entire lifetime it is very easy to pull a time frame and pick the 4 best quarters in wages, it only takes a minute)

He goes home to putt putt, the company rolls on maybe evolving a little bit. You get to got out into a winter howler if that is what suits you. and so on.

SoDel and ghostcookie Thank this.
  4. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Talk to your boss about your concerns.

5. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    I've had several conversations with him about what the future looks like, and while I'm not overly enthusiastic about what he tells me, I know I have a home here as long as I want.

But I'm not sure he and I are on the same page anymore.

Some of this goes back about 4 years now. We lost our oldest customer, which was my bread and butter, and half my income at the time. They went with someone cheaper after a disagreement between them and my boss. He basically told them to piss off, and they called his bluff. And they regret it every time they get real busy. So, I've encouraged him to make peace with this customer, and get our foot back in the door there. But he won't do it. He's hung up on his own pocketbook, without too much thought for those who make him the money. (The stuff we haul now is quite profitable for him)

I even toyed with buying my own truck and hauling for this customer myself, but really don't wanna go that route at this point in life.

6. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    My two cents..
    If you're unhappy with your place in life then change it.
    Life is too short to live it unhappily.

Sounds like you have tired of the current situation but not driving.

Lots of options out there that will allow you to set your kids up for success while allowing yourself to be satisfied doing it.
    I like my job but look for better work constantly.
    Seek a workplace that you feel satisfied/secure in.

MartinFromBC, homeskillet and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    My advice, become your own boss and make your own decisions and bed. Some are cut out to do it and most aren't. Your mileage may vary in that department.

8. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    OP you mentioned a job moving equipment around, that might be a great gig.
    Never concern yourself about starting over as the new guy at a job...its not a big deal.

starmac and homeskillet Thank this.
  9. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    With those kinds of obligations you have (Wife, kids, mortgage) you need a real job and paycheck 50 or 51 weeks out of the year. LTL pays well even bumping docks on day shift those guys are up around $26-27/hr after a couple years with good benefits. Linehaul can pay better but I was never a huge fan of running overnight. A bit more specialized work like car or gas hauling pays well also. ($70-80K at least)

10. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    You have the "middle age blues" . Not to worry, it affects all of us.

11. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere

My wife says that all the time lol.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.