Thinking of Joining TMC... How are the newbies doing?

Discussion in 'TMC' started by Sircorona, Jun 25, 2007.

1. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    I'm headed to Maverick on the 16th. applied 4 days ago they wanted me in orientation this weekend but I told them I couldn't do it fr another week. I'll answer questions if I can but I'm not a nube so some may be different.

TMC advertised for dedicated around here but I never could get them to call back. Them and fleetwod emaild and told me to cal and when I did I'd get voice mails. If you can't call me after ten messages I'm out

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MorrisGray

MorrisGray Light Load Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Rock Spring, GA
    I sent an application in by mail to Boyd Bros this week. Heard good things about them from others and I believe I would accept an offer if given one right away. I am ready to work for several companies if they give me the ok and the hometime weekly. Ready to start somewhere. I am lucky to get 24hrs a week with current situation. :(

4. JimF

JimF "If you got it, flaunt it"

Jan 29, 2008
    Salisbury NC
    Man, I so wish Maverick would call. I'm anxious to get back into it.

Morris, I've been checking out companies for about 2 months now, and Boyd Bros. is near the top of my list of good companies, based on what I'd found. I'd actually be going with them, but they told me I'd need a refresher course before they could hire me.

5. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

I hope it works out good for ya at Mav.

You persisted more on those other companies than I would have. 2 maybe 3 messages and thats IT.

6. eckz

eckz <strong>"Radio Rambo"</strong>

Sep 15, 2007
    Detroit, Michigan
    Driving for TMC, i talk to alot of Maverick drivers. We run alot of the same freight. They all seem to enjoy it.

I'd say starting out they're both about the same. Maverick is a good company, the only thing i don't like about them is that they pay you by the mile... With TMC i am percentage, i don't have to worry about driving 3k miles a week to make good money. I can drive 2000 miles and still bring home over a grand.

Providing the loads pay decent enough.

Good luck to you guys.

7. MorrisGray

MorrisGray Light Load Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Rock Spring, GA
    what kind of truck are you driving and how long have you been with TMC? thanks in advance, tkm

8. TexasMike

TexasMike "Big Tex"

Jan 28, 2008
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    I've thought of looking at TMC once I get some more experience under by belt. How does that percentage plan work? What's the averages of percentage and does it vary or it is fixed based on your driving experience and company tenure?

9. terrylamar

terrylamar Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    It is not based on your experience other than the more experienced you are the more efficient you will be. Percentage is 23% to 32% of what the load pays the truck. Your percentage is based on several things such as: Your 13 week average of revenue to the truck, fuel mileage, truck washes, safe month, clean DOT inspection, out of route percentage, your paperwork turn in times, whether you have taken special classes or recruited other drivers and your years of service. Years of service is the least significant although it does affect you minmum percentage.

When I first started with TMC, when everyone on percentage starts with TMC it is at 23% After one month you have a snapshot which looks at all the factors listed above and your percentage is adjusted. Most drivers will jump to at least 27% I jumped to 29% my first snapshot and it should have been 30% I didn't understand the paperwork turn in rules and received a -5 points which droped me down to 29% The next month I went to 30% then to 31% I didn't have all the bonus classes so I didn't make it to 32% I was on long haul. Now that I have on Line Haul I and most other drivers on Line Haul are between 27% and 29% I am currently at 29% and I expect to drop to 28% or less next snapshot unless freight picks up.

I keep my Out of Route Percentage really low and my fuel mileage in a 379 Pete has been over 6 miles per gallon. I have to work hard to keep it up there. I still haven't taken those classes. I suspect I will soon just to get the points.

10. TexasMike

TexasMike "Big Tex"

Jan 28, 2008
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    Thanks Terrylamar, much appreciated. It sounds a bit complicated but actually sounds like a more fair way of paying drivers. To bad more companies do not work that way.

This helps me seriously consider them even more. Pay is important as everyone knows, but company atmosphere goes a lot farther for me than just the pay. And I've read and heard that TMC is a great company to drive for.

11. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    Freight is slowing down so companies can be allot more picky about who they hire right now. I guess you probably don't want me to tell you they toldme they had a spot open forme any week I wanted to attend? :biggrin_25512: Sorry.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.